Light-O-Rama Forums

I decided to shorten a song after I sequenced it and got in trouble.

Scotty Price

After completing the sequencing of a song and admiring my work in the simulator, I found a couple of seconds in the middle of the song and sequence I wanted to edit out.

So,

1. I saved the original sequence.
  2. I opened Audacity and created and saved a new .wav file cutting out the excess seconds in the middle of the song. I saved it under a new name.
  3. I opened a new musical sequence in LOR II based on the new, shorter song.
  4. I then reopened my just completed sequence so now I have two sequence windows open: one blank with a short version song and one completed sequence with a longer version of the song.
  5. I then copied and pasted the timings and effects of the first section of timings and effects of my original sequence into the new, shorter version. That went ok after some experimentation.
  6. I then attempted to copy and paste the 2nd half timings and effects from the longer sequence into the shorter sequence after the section where I made my cut.
  7. I located the spot where I edited in the shorter version by recognizing patterns in the waveform and listening to the music.
  8. I then copied the timings and effects from the original sequence from the cut to to the end of the song and pasted them into the new sequence, but all the timings and effects have shifted.
  9. I tried various forms of copying and pasting timings and effects, but I still have a shift in the timings in the 2nd half of the new sequence, sometimes right and sometimes left.

I can't skew the song to match because the first part of the song is aligned.

I don't want to go through the sequencing of the second half of the song again if I can help it. Am I going to have to resequence the shorter song or is there a better way to copy sections of a sequence into another song?

Thanks,
Scotty

I can only think of two things to look at or try.

First would be under "Set Paste Mode" under "Edit", check to see if it is set for Paste by cell vs Paste by Time.

Second would be to open your shorter sequence and note the time to be removed. As an example lets say you need to remove 1:28.10 through 1:33.50. Close the short sequence and open your original. Select "Save as" and give it a name like "test edit". Place you cursor over the cell starting at 1.33.60 and grab the top row all the way to the end of the sequence. Then go "Edit", "Select", and "Columns" which should grab everything from 1.33.60 to the end. Do the normal right click and copy thing and it should drop in fine.

Lastly, if you want to PM me, I'll give you my email and try it on my machine.

Let me know,

Brad

Try this: Open your old sequence with the long song.

Remove the portions of the sequence where you edited the song.

You may have to cut and paste to make it fit correctly

Then assign the new shorter song as the media file.

Alright fellas,

Thanks for the help. I got the events to synchronize with the music after reading your posts. I opened a new sequence, copied from the old and pasted section 1 with the paste timings selection checked. Then went back to the old sequence, copied and pasted into the new sequence aligned with the waveform pattern. These pastes dropped in the timing grid which was out slightly from the events so I added timings from the beat wizard to drop in double the grid. Things are lined up well now with the exception of one small section with syncopated beats. I'll have to rework that, but it is a small matter compared to the effort at which I was looking.

Thanks, I've probably made the experts cringe, but it appears to work.

Scotty.