Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware compatibility questions

Kbostick88

I have several RGB light strings, but am not sure if they can be used with LOR, I am strongly considering purchasing this product, but only if the lights I own already work.

The lights are already own are WS2812B and WS2811, which are addressable LED strips/bulbs. Thanks for your help!

BTW, one suggestion.  Please edit your profile with a somewhat useful location ("Garden City" tells us nothing).  Also update your profile with your software version and license level.  When you come back with questions (and you will), knowing your software version and license level can often radically affect the answer.  As for your location, a couple reasons.  First is that it will aid in meeting other lighting people near you, and that can be very handy for getting local help and learning where other shows are nearby that you will likely want to visit.  Second reason is that depending on the weather in your area can substantially affect how you set up your show.  For example, because I'm in Southern California, I don't need to worry about snow or lightning, but generally my lawn is still growing while my show is set up.  Someone in northern Minnesota likely does not need to worry much about controllers overheating - but I do.  The advise that people give will be different depending on your location.

3 hours ago, Kbostick88 said:

I have several RGB light strings, but am not sure if they can be used with LOR, I am strongly considering purchasing this product, but only if the lights I own already work.

The lights are already own are WS2812B and WS2811, which are addressable LED strips/bulbs. Thanks for your help!

Not sure on the pixcon16 but if you go with the pixie16 in the Hardware Utility there is a drop down in the config tab that you will have to select the proper string.

JR

Thank you guys for the help. I updated my location, I did not post a license number or anything, bc I do not have the product yet. I wanted to know if the hundreds of dollars I spent on RGB LEDs would work with this. Since it looks like it will work, once I can convince the wife, I will be ordering it! lol

3 minutes ago, Kbostick88 said:

Thank you guys for the help. I updated my location, I did not post a license number or anything, bc I do not have the product yet. I wanted to know if the hundreds of dollars I spent on RGB LEDs would work with this. Since it looks like it will work, once I can convince the wife, I will be ordering it! lol

Keep in mind

The pixie16 are the most affordable and once configured easy to use.

Its a great way to get your feet wet into the pixels.

They come with a price though. They have limitations that the pixcon16 do not have.

Personally I have all pixie series controllers to keep it simple.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

32 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Not sure on the pixcon16 but if you go with the pixie16 in the Hardware Utility there is a drop down in the config tab that you will have to select the proper string.

JR

The Pixcon is the same way as the Pixie's. You can only use one type of lights at a time, the pixel type is for the entire board and not per port.

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

The Pixcon is the same way as the Pixie's. You can only use one type of lights at a time, the pixel type is for the entire board and not per port.

And here I thought all along that the pixcon gave you more flexibility over the strings or ribbons or combo

Good to know

JR

9 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

And here I thought all along that the pixcon gave you more flexibility over the strings or ribbons or combo

Good to know

JR

The Pixcon does give more flexibility as it allows null pixels, zig-zag, diifferent RGB color order per port, and reverse order. Plus it can be used on the LOR network. However, if someone wants a controller strictly for E1.31 then there are far better options for the same price.

Here is a technical question i don't know if anyone will know the answer too, but on the data wire of WS2812B or WS2811 would there be harm in connecting 2 control boards to the same data wire? I would only turn 1 board on at a time, but I have my LEDs wired with Arduino D1 Minis and can turn them on and off with my phone, I would still like to do that. but when i have the D1 turned off, i could turn on the LOR light show, and control the same lights without having to make wiring changes....is that possible? or will the control boards backfeed / blow up?

38 minutes ago, Kbostick88 said:

Here is a technical question i don't know if anyone will know the answer too, but on the data wire of WS2812B or WS2811 would there be harm in connecting 2 control boards to the same data wire? I would only turn 1 board on at a time, but I have my LEDs wired with Arduino D1 Minis and can turn them on and off with my phone, I would still like to do that. but when i have the D1 turned off, i could turn on the LOR light show, and control the same lights without having to make wiring changes....is that possible? or will the control boards backfeed / blow up?

My electrical side says it should be ok as long as one is off.

My human side says, we all make mistakes and it’s bound to burn something when you leave them both on.

I don’t know what goes on with micro circuitry.

JR

41 minutes ago, Kbostick88 said:

Yes, you can.  Not entirely recommended, but it will work within some limits.  The big one is keeping the wire length low between the controller and the first pixels.  That distance is always somewhat critical, but by having two loads (likely does not matter if one or both D1s are turned on).  I did some testing a few years ago with a SanDevices controller driving up to four WS2811 strips.  It did work fine, but note that I only had less than one foot of wire between the SanDevices and the strips.

I am a little curious what you are doing with the D1s.  Are you using the D1 to power off the LEDs or something else?

I made my own light show with the D1, manually writing all the code, and effects. It is a lot of work, and would be nice to have software that does it for me. I have shielded wire going from the D1 to the LEDs which allows for greater length between the D1 and the LEDs. Without the shielded wire the data wire has to be very short, only a few inches, but with the shielded wire I have one of my sets of LEDs about 10 feet away with no issues at all.

• The topic was locked