Light-O-Rama Forums

New laptop coming in

Mr. P

Well the wife's laptop went out yesterday so I thought this is a great time to get me another powerful laptop and she won't complain. I gave her my Alienware 17R4 that I purchased last March and I ordered a new 17" Sager.

CPU - I7-8700K

GPU - GTX-1070

RAM - 32GB DDR4 3000mhz

HD - Samsung 1TB 970 Evo M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

Windows 10 Pro

Plenty of room for upgrades and additions.

This thing is going to be smokin fast.

That is very close to what my new desktop is.  You have a slightly better CPU (I don't have the K version), and I have a slightly better video card (I have the 1070 TI).  You are right, it's gonna be smoking fast!  I have two 24 inch monitors on it and will add a third when I make enough space on my desk....

I downgraded the CPU from an 8086 to the 8700K, wasn't worth the extra $100 for a 2% increase in performance. Then I downgraded the GTX-1080 GPU since I don't game and put those savings into the better SSD.

The M.2 SSD is nice!  I only have 250GB of SSD since all I need is the OS and applications on it.  All data gets stored on the server across the LAN.

SSD's are great, my Alienware had the 860 Evo 500GB Sata III SSD and I thought that was fast. These PCIe SSD's are suppose to be something like 3X faster, looking forward to seeing how fast this thing is.

M.2 for the win.  They are stupid fast.  My 950Pro is awesome, and anything newer is even faster.

FYI:  In case you were wondering about how good the warranty is...  My 950 Pro is in my development machine - the one I use every day working on LOR.  That's 5 days a week, 8 hours a day.  Let's just say it gets used A LOT.  I've had it for over 2 years now, and the warranty is good for 5 years or 400 TB.  According to their software, I've written 5.4T, so I have another 394TB of writes left.

According to the smart data, I've used 0 spare cells, and there have been 0 media errors.

My biggest concern was heat as the i7-8700k is actually a desktop CPU they put in a laptop. When talking to me they assured me that with it in a 17" with their propietary heat sinks and the thermals they use they can keep it steady especially since I am not a gamer. I saw some of those machines with dual 1080 GPU's and just thought, WOW, those things are going to melt.

Edited by Mr. P

My new Alienware ways a ton while sitting on my lap. Ordered the best of every option I could get.

My last Dell lasted over 14 years.

So much that I haven’t opened it since shutting down the show in January.

Getting ready to fire it up to transfer sequences over. Last year made it so hard because I created all shows on my sequencing laptop and had to transfer to the show computer.

didnt have enough time between receiving it and my city show start date to do it any other way.

It is super fast without any other software on it.

Best of luck with your new one.

JR

That's one of the reasons that I regularly promote using a desktop over a laptop - unless of course you need the portability.  I personally don't own a laptop, although I do have a work issued one that I use occasionally for non-work purposes.  Every computer in regular use at home is a desktop (either a tower or "VCR box" desktop), and the server is a 2 rack unit rackmount.  Here at work, I have five towers shelf mounted in a rack next to my cube...

Dual 1080s in a laptop - yikes!  That's gotta run hot!

• The topic was locked