Light-O-Rama Forums

Driveway Arches

cdlouke

So getting ready to build some 30 foot arches over my driveway. I will be using square pixels strings. Question is,  what are you using to mount the strings to pvc.  Just zip tying them?. Anyone have a better idea?

30 minutes ago, cdlouke said:

So getting ready to build some 30 foot arches over my driveway. I will be using square pixels strings. Question is,  what are you using to mount the strings to pvc.  Just zip tying them?. Anyone have a better idea?

Before you get to attaching the pixels to the support, you need to give some serious thought to what that support pipe is.  With a 30 foot span, and I assume at least 100 pixels (for that distance, likely more), mechanical strength is something you really need to think through.  This is particularly true if you will have snow accumulation and / or wind.  What had you planned on using?  You said PVC - how big and thickness?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have four 35' arches over my driveway but i use the bigger C9 pixabulbs. They are 100 pixabulbs spaced 4 inches apart for a total of 32' that I  zip tie to the arches. For m y arches I use the 1.5 inch gray pvc pipe, anything smaller at that length and it will sag.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I am using 1 inch pvc which works well. You just need to place cross members to make the structure solid. No sway or sag and a lot cheaper than 1.5.

I guess I will just go ahead and zip tie them.

Since you said “cross members” can I gather that this is not a single run of 1” PVC making a single 30 foot span?

Have you considered getting translucent high density polyethylene tubing and putting the lights inside?  That's what we have done and really like the effect.   Plus, the lights don't get damaged with installing and putting away each year.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Since you said “cross members” can I gather that this is not a single run of 1” PVC making a single 30 foot span?

That is correct, I am using 10 ft. sections. Each arch is connected to the next using tee's. I am using 1 1/2 pvc as a sleeve to anchor to the ground. I first tried rebar but had too much movement. Arches are spaced 10 feet apart.

1 hour ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Have you considered getting translucent high density polyethylene tubing and putting the lights inside?  That's what we have done and really like the effect.   Plus, the lights don't get damaged with installing and putting away each year.

Richard, that is a really good idea. I am going to give that a try. Sounds like a lot easier and faster way to install.

Ah, that was a bunch of the missing piece of the puzzle!  So this is multiple arches that are 10 feet apart with essentially a beam between all of the arches every 10 feet (cross axis to the arches - or along the length of the driveway).  Sort of like a VERY large spaced lattice structure.  Do I have that right?

I'm still concerned about the ability of 1 inch PVC to support the weight of itself plus the lights.  Going with square pixels inside the pipe would likely require larger pipe, however if you used ribbon strip instead, it would easily fit inside 1 inch pipe.  Ribbon would also be lighter.

6 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

My question is would HDPE be strong enough for a span that long?

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

It would need to be supported in the center (or the upper corner of each side) with some type of frame. It's tough stuff but having it that length would still be the concern. 

This is what I based my arches over. Being that they are up for a short time my arches have no support between them and are free standing with no issues.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Yes that is a great question and I am not sure of the answer.  Maybe someone else knows.  Mine are only 16 feet long (formed in a semi-circle) and they are plenty stiff enough to survive the high desert mountain winds.  In my case, I have a retaining wall about 4 feet high and I lean my arches against the wall and attach the lower part to the wall to keep them from falling over.  Even when I didn't have the wall at my prior home, they were still enough to stay in place with a single support pole in the center.  You might know that there are various thicknesses available so I expect you could get a thicker pipe to withstand that length.

13 hours ago, cdlouke said:

Richard, that is a really good idea. I am going to give that a try. Sounds like a lot easier and faster way to install.

Well it is just my one man's opinion.  I've done it both ways.  Like most folks, I used to wrap my lights around the pipe or-zip tie them to the pipe and it seems like every year I was damaging something while setting up or putting away.   More importantly I really like the smooth look of the glowing pipe.  There are a lot of videos out there that explain how to construct them and where to get the pipe.   Some other members on here have also done the same thing.   I just wish I had done this years earlier.   For the last 3 years, no damage to my arcs while setting up and taking down.

• The topic was locked