Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to find Outdoor surge protectors

GriswoldStyle

I can find indoor surge protectors everywhere. I have outdoor timers for my controllers. I'm looking to see what do you guys use for outdoor surge protectors. When Googling outdoor surge protectors, that pulls up everything but what I'm looking for. My show runs on the cheap timers that you can pick up at Wally World. However they do not have built-in surge protection only overheat protection.

Which surge protectors do you guys use for your outdoor controllers? Is there any waterproof outdoor surge protectors?

My backup plan is making 4" PVC tubes with end caps on them and sliding a surge protector into them. Worse case scenario that should rain proof them if I make the tubes upright with the cap on top. 

Edited by GriswoldStyle

My electric company installed an whole house surge protector in my power meter, don't know if your power company offers such a device, I pay somewhere about $8-$10 a month extra for it.   So I may still use some inside, but with the one the power company installed, it covers every electrical outlet inside and outside my home, so I don't really need the extra ones in the house

And if I got a surge and it damages anything, the power company will replace any damaged items, including appliances, anything plugged in if a surge got past their system.   Had it years ago and made sure we still had it when power was restored in our house.   Always been very reliable and no issues, and with the lightning storms we get here, it's held up really great.

So you might want to check and see if your power company offers this type service and the cost, so far too me, it's been worth the few extra bucks a month for it.

I don't recall ever seeing surge protectors for use outside in all weather conditions, except for the one that's installed inside and behind my power meter.

BTW: our power company is Duke Energy, previously Progress Energy {and who originally offered and installed our whole house surge protector.}

Edited by Orville

Not sure why you want/need them.

I've never lost light-a strand or a controller to a surge. (And I'm old...) Worst case is blow a fuse now and then, which are pennies.

10 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

I can find indoor surge protectors everywhere. I have outdoor timers for my controllers. I'm looking to see what do you guys use for outdoor surge protectors. When Googling outdoor surge protectors, that pulls up everything but what I'm looking for. My show runs on the cheap timers that you can pick up at Wally World. However they do not have built-in surge protection only overheat protection.

Which surge protectors do you guys use for your outdoor controllers? Is there any waterproof outdoor surge protectors?

My backup plan is making 4" PVC tubes with end caps on them and sliding a surge protector into them. Worse case scenario that should rain proof them if I make the tubes upright with the cap on top. 

You may want to check with a  RV dealer of parts store. Like Camping World. Or get an outlet receptacle cover made for outdoors and get the surge protector the plugs in and usually screws in to the center screw. 

JR

57 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

I've never lost light-a strand or a controller to a surge. (And I'm old...) Worst case is blow a fuse now and then, which are pennies.

Florida is lightning capital. Have taken hits and surges a few times. We lost 2 TV's, game system, stereo, a projector and even a vacuum due to lighting over the years. Just being cautious. 

33 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

You may want to check with a  RV dealer of parts store. Like Camping World. Or get an outlet receptacle cover made for outdoors and get the surge protector the plugs in and usually screws in to the center screw. 

JR

Good idea. I'm gonna check that out tomorrow. 

11 hours ago, Orville said:

My electric company installed an whole house surge protector in my power meter, don't know if your power company offers such a device, I pay somewhere about $8-$10 a month extra for it.   So I may still use some inside, but with the one the power company installed, it covers every electrical outlet inside and outside my home, so I don't really need the extra ones in the house

And if I got a surge and it damages anything, the power company will replace any damaged items, including appliances, anything plugged in if a surge got past their system.   Had it years ago and made sure we still had it when power was restored in our house.   Always been very reliable and no issues, and with the lightning storms we get here, it's held up really great.

So you might want to check and see if your power company offers this type service and the cost, so far too me, it's been worth the few extra bucks a month for it.

I don't recall ever seeing surge protectors for use outside in all weather conditions, except for the one that's installed inside and behind my power meter.

BTW: our power company is Duke Energy, previously Progress Energy {and who originally offered and installed our whole house surge protector.}

Thanks will check into that.

We don't have a store in Florida, but we could ship there.

We're not qualified by LOR, so won't say our name here...

Most any electrical wholesaler could order for you.

About $600 and protect your entire show..

https://eselect.ericson.com/ecatalog/temporary-power/en/1066

10 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

I've always been of the factor, better safe than sorry. 

Plus if you have one installed by your power company and a surge does get through, and it happens to damage your controller, the power company will replace it.   At least that's how mine is set up with our power company. 

And it was cheaper{no cost} for them to install and just pay the small monthly fee as opposed to the costs of finding and buying a full home version, and also the headache of trying to install one, and by having to hire an electrician, get a permit{s}, etc. to have it done.  Would cost more than I could afford at one shot.

So I pay about $120 or little less a year to the power company.  And all of my computers, refrigerator, freezer, all appliances, controllers, anything plugged into an electrical outlet that could be damaged by a surge on the power line is protected, and with the lightning storms we get in Florida, this is actually a very wise move.

You might not need them where you live, but, again, I'd rather be safe than sorry.  And having everything inside, and outside my home protected that's plugged into an electrical outlet, I know if I have an issue with a surge causing damage, I'm covered!.

I also have a whole house surge suppressor installed in my meter and it costs $6.50 a month. I also have seperate surge suppressors on my a/c unit sub panels since the a/c unit warranty requires them. I have three seperate central a/c units, one for each floor, that I replaced when I moved in for $24K and I really don't want to replace them again.

13 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I also have a whole house surge suppressor installed in my meter and it costs $6.50 a month. I also have seperate surge suppressors on my a/c unit sub panels since the a/c unit warranty requires them. I have three seperate central a/c units, one for each floor, that I replaced when I moved in for $24K and I really don't want to replace them again.

I might be paying the same.  I was just trying to remember what it was.  I know it's not much, but worth it. 

My A/C is so old it doesn't have a warranty, so I don't have to worry about that.

Good points about having the power company do the install.   I did not have that option.   I bought a whole house unit for about $100 and installed it myself.  Fortunately one of my neighbors is the local building inspector and came to check out my work.  I wish there would have been an option to have the power company do it at the time.  It would have saved me some work, but I guess now I don't have to pay a monthly fee.  They sure do work nicely and I haven't had any electronic device failures in the last 10 years.

37 minutes ago, Orville said:

I might be paying the same.  I was just trying to remember what it was.  I know it's not much, but worth it. 

My A/C is so old it doesn't have a warranty, so I don't have to worry about that.

That is not a reason. Fried is fried. You just get to pay the tab.  A surge suppressor is a whole lot cheaper than a new Condenser unit.

AND if your system is really old (Freon 13 or 22), you get to replace the Evaporator (air handler) unit

Great suggestions guys. We are going to call up the electric company tomorrow and find out if they're still offering those in our area. I know they were at one point.

9 hours ago, TheDucks said:

That is not a reason. Fried is fried. You just get to pay the tab.  A surge suppressor is a whole lot cheaper than a new Condenser unit.

AND if your system is really old (Freon 13 or 22), you get to replace the Evaporator (air handler) unit

Nope doesn't use Freon, it uses the new stuff.  Although I forget what they call it.

10 hours ago, Orville said:

I have a lifetime warranty as long as I stay on their maintenance program, it costs $450 every three years. They clean and inspect all three systems twice a year, replace filters and parts as needed, check and fill the coolant as needed. If the thing burns up and needs replacement they replace it since they were maintaining it. It's woth the piece of mind.

2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I have a lifetime warranty as long as I stay on their maintenance program, it costs $450 every three years. They clean and inspect all three systems twice a year, replace filters and parts as needed, check and fill the coolant as needed. If the thing burns up and needs replacement they replace it since they were maintaining it. It's woth the piece of mind.

Mine came with the house {manufactured home} and wasn't offered a warranty or any info on the thing.  Only reason I know what it uses one of our church members is an HVAC installer/maintainer and he checked it out for us.  Said it's good for now.  But may have to check into some type of service plan if I can get one on it.

• The topic was locked