Light-O-Rama Forums

Help Needed

nmonkman

I have my Halloween sequences on my website for d-loading. They were working fine before, I just moved them around.

I have double checked all the links so they are correct and have verified that the files that I have on my hard drive (which are the ones I uploaded to my server) are working okay.

However, If I click on any of the Halloween sequences it downloads an .XML file with thousands of lines of code. I want to make sure that this is not happening to anyone else and I also want to make sure that I am not exposing any criticial information that I shouldn't be.

I have not uploaded any of my christmas sequences, only HALLOWEEN.

Can one of the LOR administrators please go tomy website and see if they are getting the same thing. Also, please let me know if I should remove these files until I figure out why it is doing this.

www.xmas.planetmonkman.com/lor.htm

Thanks,

UPDATE:

I just talked to someone else on PC who told me it does the same thing for them. However they also stated that if they right clicked and used "save as" it saves as an .lms file.

If I click save as it saves as a .xml file, BUT if I change the extension to .lms it opens and works with the sequencer.

I guess I have to figure out why it all of a sudden wants to open as an .xml file. I have never had this happen before.

Your web site is running Apache, so you can fix this by adding the following line to your .htaccess file:

AddType application/x-lor-sequence lms las

There may be "official" MIME types for these files, but I couldn't find it, so I just created one that looked good. What this does is tell the browser that the LMS file is not a plain text file, and since it doesn't know what a "application/x-lor-sequence" is, it goes by the extension.

This worked with both IE 6.0 and Firefox 2.0.

Steven:

Is that something that I need to do from my end or is that something that my website hosting company has to add to their server?

I have never done that before.

nmonkman wrote:

Is that something that I need to do from my end or is that something that my website hosting company has to add to their server?

You can do it. Create a file named ".htaccess" (It has to be spelled exactly like that, starting with a dot and all lower case.) with the single line I gave you above. (I think "AddType" is case-sensitive as well, but I'm not sure.)

Upload this .htaccess file to the LOR/Sequences and/or the lor_sequences folder on your web server.

Then try browsing your web site and clicking on a sequence. If it doesn't work, contact Bravenet tech support.

Okay, here is what I have done.

I created a file with notepad (a .txt file) and named it test because my computer would not let me copy and paste the file that started with a "."

in the file I typed the text exactly as shown.

It is now on my server but it will not let me rename it to .htaccess, it just says it can't and won't tell me why.

I cannot go to me web hosting site and do it from there because it is hosted by bravenet and they don't allow uploading or ftp access if you have a frontpage site. You can only use the FTP tool if you use THEIR web builder which stinks.

So I am going to try to use my own FTP program to see if that works. Frontpage will not publish the file.

nmonkman wrote:

I created a file with notepad (a .txt file) and named it test because my computer would not let me copy and paste the file that started with a "."

Your computer wouldn't let you? Then your computer needs a spanking! ;)

Here's how to turn a file named "test.txt" into a file named ".htaccess" on a Windows XP system:

First, start a command prompt (by "Start" -> "Run..." "cmd").

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:Documents and SettingsSteven>cd "my documents"

C:Documents and SettingsStevenMy Documents>cd web

C:Documents and SettingsStevenMy Documentsweb>ren test.txt .htaccess

C:Documents and SettingsStevenMy Documentsweb>

Now you have a file named ".htaccess". You can use the regular Windows explorer window to drag the file wherever you want and you can use FrontPage to publish it. This will also work on Vista, Windows 95, etc.

I can name the file on my computer, but when I try to drag it over to the folder on my website it won't do it.

Like I said, my webhosting service told me I can upload it via their ftp but I have to change my whole website to one of their standard sites and not a Frontpage site.

It seems ridiculous that I am paying them all that money for hosting and they wont allow people that use the most popular html editor to access their files.

They are going to try to fox it on their end by placing the .htaccess file on their for me.

However, I think I can resolve this easier by simply using WinZip to store them on the server. People will just have to spend the $20 if they don't have Winzip

Well, my webhosting company claims they have fixed it, but if I ever have to reset my Frontpage extensions then I will be right back where I started.

I am uploading everything again and they are all zipped with WinZip. It is a good thing I pay for 600gb of bandwidth because I think I just might use that this month with all the re-uploading of files.

All told there is about 300mb to upload so it will take a little while. I will check it in a while and make sure that it is all well and good before I announce it back up.

Thanks for all the help.

Neil