Light-O-Rama Forums

Extended Monitors

Powers_Ronald

Is there some issue with S5 and multiple monitors? I have an HP laptop (I7 processor, 16 GB ram ) connected to a Plugable  USB Docking station.  The docking station  has two monitors connected to it. When I place S5 Sequencer (V5.1.0 Pro) in either of these monitors, the preview playback, grid nor preview design will not display properly. I can move sequencer to the laptop's screen and it looks fine. However, as soon as I move it back to one of the monitors, everything gets messed up again.

image.png.cabecc6a6198048c4c6e658aa9e6a2ab.png

I did try moving one of the displays to the HDMI port on the laptop, and that worked fine. However, it never seems to work with the docking station. Is this just a limitation of S5, or is there something I can change in the settings?

Thanks, 

Ron 

Edited by Powers_Ronald

Plugable UD-3900 Dual Display Universal Docking Station. I am using the HDMI and the DVI ports. 

I run multiple monitors on both computers that do any sequencing (both running 5.1.0).  This one is a Windows 7 Dell desktop with one DVI and one VGA port being used.  The one at home is a Windows 10 Dell desktop with two Display Port outputs being used (both adapted to DVI).  Works great.

Jim, if I read this correctly, you connect directly to the laptop, not through a docking station. I suspect the issue is the video drivers in the docking station. These two monitors are recognized by Windows, but not by the  Intel graphics  driver. I may be stuck with having to plug one monitor back into the laptop's HDMI port. 

From the manufacturer's web site:

https://plugable.com/products/ud-3900/

Gaming
Our DisplayLink-based USB graphics adapters and docking stations are "virtual" devices where much of the heavy lifting is done by the host system's CPU, by hooking into the graphics stack. The DirectX and OpenGL APIs used by many games assume direct hardware access (a PCIe graphics card).  DisplayLink's drivers attempt to emulate as much of the functionality as possible, which is why some 3D functionality (like that needed for desktop and apps) works.

We don't recommend running games with DisplayLink-based USB graphics products, because this emulation cannot be perfect, and often APIs used by games (DirectX and OpenGL) prevent DisplayLink devices from functioning properly. Even without specific compatibility problems, performance will always be a challenge - the extra CPU work required for USB graphics will be a source of reduced frame rates and problems. Normal desktop and application use are fine because they don't push the system as hard as a 3D games will.

While the Light-O-Rama Software Suite might not be a "game," it uses some of the same technologies to render sequence playback and the sequence grid itself. Therefore, based on the manufacturer's statement above, I would not expect S4 or S5 to display properly through this device.

Matt

It is working now. I removed and installed the latest Intel display driver and Plugable's Displaylink driver. 

12 minutes ago, Powers_Ronald said:

Jim, if I read this correctly, you connect directly to the laptop, not through a docking station. I suspect the issue is the video drivers in the docking station. These two monitors are recognized by Windows, but not by the  Intel graphics  driver. I may be stuck with having to plug one monitor back into the laptop's HDMI port. 

It looks like Matt came up with the winning answer.

As for me, I am using almost exclusively desktop computers.  The only laptop that has LOR on it only gets used (who would have thought it) - portable, so no docking station.  Actually, I am so used to having two fairly large monitors, that pretty much dislike sequencing on the laptop unless there is no alternative...