Light-O-Rama Forums

Use of LOR without Program

mattiej1313

I am looking at upgrading to LOR for my holiday displays.  I do not have experience at programming light shows since my previous controller simply synced lights to music streamed to it.  While I look forward to tackling programming, is there any method that will allow the 16 channel LOR controller to simply sync lights to music?  I have heard that it can take up to four hours to program just a minute of music, so not sure have time before this season.

There are plenty of us sharing sequences, all you would need to do is purchase the music, create a vis and copy from the shared to yours.

No need to worry about time.

JR

No.  You CAN however obtain sequences from many sources.  A good start is the Sequence Sharing section of this forum.  Note that you can take sequences that are larger than 16 channels and just not use them.  As your show grows, you will need them anyway.

8 hours ago, mattiej1313 said:

I am looking at upgrading to LOR for my holiday displays.  I do not have experience at programming light shows since my previous controller simply synced lights to music streamed to it.  While I look forward to tackling programming, is there any method that will allow the 16 channel LOR controller to simply sync lights to music?  I have heard that it can take up to four hours to program just a minute of music, so not sure have time before this season.

The first year is always the hardest but keep in mind it's really not that difficult if you watch them correct tutorials. But if you find yourself needing sequences, I have a few of the 16 channel sequences from my first year on Lor that I did. I am on year 3 now and you keep getting better and better every year. There is no automatic feature unless you got into the Superstar add-on program but trust me you will like your lights much better if you program them yourself.

If you find yourself needing some 16 channel sequences to copy and paste from, send me your email address.  I have a few songs that I did my first year. They are not perfect but they did the job the first year. You would just take bits and pieces and copy and paste them to your sequences.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

Thanks Gris for the offer will take you up on that.  Looking forward to this year's display as I need it to be great since will be second year collecting food for local pantry.

I don't recall the name of the program and I still have it somewhere, but it would let you play a song and the lights would somewhat dance to the music.  it only worked for 16 channels.  Don't know if it's still around for download or not, but I actually found it harder to use and get lights to look even remotely decent using it, programming them yourself is definitely the better way to go.

And like others have said, there are a LOT of shared sequences here, just look in the sequencing area of the forum here.  yes, they may be more than the number of controllers you have or that your license may support at this time, so they're just ignored if the sequence is for 48 channels for example and you only have one controller, it will still work. 

HOWEVER, and this is a BIG however, and really something you need to know and remember, when importing another sequencers sequence, the controller ID's and their Channels items/descriptions ARE NOT going to necessarily match up to any of yours, so modifying  a shared sequence can still take a bit of work and tweaking to get it to work for your smaller display set up.  And depending on how the sequence is set up, that could also take a few hours of re-identifying{modifying your} items, changing channel numbers and even tweaking to your display elements.

Yes, it is all a bit of work, but end results are well worth the time spent.  But you'll have to make some time for this hobby, it's not one you can sit and think I'll get it done in a day or two, many of us start the next years display work and tweaking before our current years display even goes live.  And many also start working on their stuff during and for the current year right after last years display goes up.  

Honestly, for this hobby, you really need a minimum of 2 computers with the same files on each, one you can literally do work on when a display is in operation running off the second system, or you can use an DC-MP3 Director with real time clock and let it run/operate the show and keep your computer free for sequencing work. 

Either way, you really need a computer you can work on your sequences when a show is running, this way if you need to fix something in a sequence that isn't functioning the way you wanted, you can fix it on the 2nd computer, then copy the sequence onto the "SHOW" computer and it'll run the updated sequence the next time it picks it up.  You could fix it on the "SHOW" computer, but it could cause the show to lag, operate improperly or interrupt things in a way you may not think.  This is why I have a "dedicated SHOW computer" for running the show and a 2nd system specifically for sequencing on.

Believe me, the tag line I came up with in my signature below states it very well. LOL

Edited by Orville
too many gaps and /'s where .'s should be.

• The topic was locked