Light-O-Rama Forums

Stained glass paint

ken collins

I believe there was a discussion over on Planet Christmas a year or so ago regarding this. I can't remember all the details though, but think many people did it. I think there were problems using it on rope light though, something about staying tacky on the plastic. You might do a search over there for more information though.

• 2 months later...

You can buy specialized paint made for coloring lightbulbs of low wattage (40 watts or less). It is called Colorine. You can brush it on but it is better to dip the lamps. It comes in the following colors and it can be mixed to create custom colors.

#07601 Cardinal Red *26
#07607 Emerald Green *90
#07602 Ruby Red *27
#07610 Golden Amber *41
#07603 Magenta *49
#07615 Canary Yellow *15
#07604 Moonlight Blue *80
#07617 Clear
#07605 Urban Blue *82
#07680 Thinner

Go to http://www.rosco.com to find a dealer near you. It is about $24.00 per pint plus they add on a special UPS shipping fee for it being a hazardous material.

Attached files 158162=9165-colorine.jpg

I used it, exactly one time, to make a string of 20 yellow lights (I could only find clear in 20's). It worked well but a) the paint is expensive and :P the paint is messy (and smells about 10x more toxic than regular spraypaint). It also doesn't like to dry very well. But the final effect was fine.

I wouldn't do this just to recolor standard lights, if it were me (and I tend to be cheap).

I think I remember folks saying that the Krylon stained glass paint is hard to find now, too, but I haven't looked for a few years.

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

I used it, exactly one time, to make a string of 20 yellow lights (I could only find clear in 20's). It worked well but a) the paint is expensive and :P the paint is messy (and smells about 10x more toxic than regular spraypaint). It also doesn't like to dry very well. But the final effect was fine.

I wouldn't do this just to recolor standard lights, if it were me (and I tend to be cheap).

I think I remember folks saying that the Krylon stained glass paint is hard to find now, too, but I haven't looked for a few years.

-Tim

Dang that was one very expensive 20 cnt set of mini lights!!!

JR V wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:
I used it, exactly one time, to make a string of 20 yellow lights (I could only find clear in 20's). It worked well but a) the paint is expensive and B) the paint is messy (and smells about 10x more toxic than regular spraypaint). It also doesn't like to dry very well. But the final effect was fine.

-Tim

Dang that was one very expensive 20 cnt set of mini lights!!!

Two sets actually :)

I needed two "tails" for the Christmas Done Bright "Flash" dog wireframe, so they could be animated... Fortunately the Krylon Yellow stained glass was a reasonable approximation of Target Gold, which is what I used for the main part of Flash's body...

And I got the strings themselves really cheap (40 cents each probably) on clearance, so paying $5+ for the tiny spray can still only made it about $3/string :)

-Tim

• 4 weeks later...

This topic intrigued me enough to find out more. Here is a link to a stained glass paint web site that's not colorine. I haven't used it, but will look into it next year.

http://www.jurgenindustries.com/stainedglasspainting.htm

Colors included

Amber, BLACK!, BROWN!, Light Blue, Royal Blue, Dark Green, Kelly Green, Turquiose, Purple, Red, Clear, White, Creamy White, Yellow Golden, Lemon, Orange, Pink, Hot Pink, Pearl White, Frost Paint

There are 3 metallic colors, Gold, Silver, Glitter Gold, and there are Sampler packs.

I have been waiting for a long time to have the option of brown and black!!!

I've just got into making my own motifs with Coroplast, and love the thought of using all clear lights, and stain the color as needed. Instead of rerouting and cutting the colored strands.

I used stained glass paint back in the early days when chasing lights were still rare and very expensive here, The blue ones faded really quickly for some reason. I found dipping far better than brushing but the effect wasn't very good, the colours I used were too weak even after 3 coats. I'd do a test first before spending the time doing a whole set.

The Krylon stained glass paint only comes in three colors. Red Blue and Yellow.
If I spray with both blue and yellow, will I get green?