Light-O-Rama Forums

WOW lights 64 channel set up

Cajun Christmas

This is my 2nd year of Christmas light display , and i must say its very humbling. I started with a few 32 channel sequences (i use WOW lights set up for 32 channels)bought from WOW lights sequence store. I'm upgrading to 64 channels , it was easy going from 32 to 64 channels on the sequences i had bought. I'm planning on using the WOW lights set up for 64 channels , and i must say its harder than first thought to write new songs for the fast approching Christmas season. I was wondering if anybody has the same set up as me if they wouldn't mind sharing a few 64 channel sequences ........... Any help would be deeply appreciated , even a few pointers on making sequence writing easier ...........  

I feel your pain!  I did 80 channels my first year and am up to 288 now on most of my sequences.  The first thing to do is think of this as a labor of love and not work.  Trust me, it helps.

Try to pick songs for sequencing that have a fairly easy tempo and melody to start out doing sequences with.  Listen to the song over and over a lot before you even start to sequence it.  You will start to "see" how you want your lights to react to the music as you listen to the song after a while. 

Use a beat track to help see the timing for your songs.  The waveform helps as you go.

Don't try and use every effect for things.  Simple on/off and fades do a lot more than you think.  You can always add in effects later on after you get a basic sequence done.

I sequence by doing sections of my display at a time.  Go through and do my roofline, then my windows and doors, then my mega tree, my mini trees, and then other props in the display.  Usually, I have a very good idea of things once I get my house laid out in the sequence and the other props will not take all that long to add in.  But it can also take a very long time to do sequencing depending on the number of channels, amount of different props, effects wanted, etc. so don't be surprised by it taking a long time either.  If you get tired or frustrated, take a break for some time and then go back and pick it up again.  We all get stuck at points in sequencing I think and it is really up to how much you want out of it.

I am "assuming" that you are not using pixels for your display?  They do add in quite a leap in the amount of work that it can take to sequence as well.  I only have LEDs in my display but am thinking of adding pixels in at some point.

You actually have quite a bit of time to sequence till Christmas yet and can get a lot done if you do a little bit on a regular basis.  I sequenced 8 songs with 80 channels for my first year in a little over a month so I know it can be done.

Everybody has their own methods for doing this and you will pick up on things as you get more used to doing it as well.

Hope this helps a bit!

Don't limit yourself to a certain number of channels. If you see someone sharing a song you like you grab it and copy paste their channels into your channels. Not everyone (hardly anyone) will have the exact channels and or props as you.

A lot of times people skip sequences that have to little or to many channels, remember you started out with 32 and now going to 64. Next year you may add more so the more channels you can get shared with you the better. Just keep them in a folder for future use.

You have to make them work with what you have. Limiting yourself will make it next to impossible for you to be satisfied. 

JR

I do my programming a lot like beeiilll said. You have lots of time left. There more you learn about sequencing the easier it gets. I started out with 64 channels  my first year, now I have grown to 112 so far this year. The year is not over yet so that number may grow more. It is an addiction. I find that I spend about 1 1/2 hours in the morning before everyone gets up is the best time for me to do my sequencing. I do this everyday. I have about 3-4 songs that are in various stages. If I get stuck on one I switch to another. Don't expect to get a song done over night. You have to make this enjoyable and have patience.

Tom

3 hours ago, Cajun Christmas said:

This is my 2nd year of Christmas light display , and i must say its very humbling. I started with a few 32 channel sequences (i use WOW lights set up for 32 channels)bought from WOW lights sequence store. I'm upgrading to 64 channels , it was easy going from 32 to 64 channels on the sequences i had bought. I'm planning on using the WOW lights set up for 64 channels , and i must say its harder than first thought to write new songs for the fast approching Christmas season. I was wondering if anybody has the same set up as me if they wouldn't mind sharing a few 64 channel sequences ........... Any help would be deeply appreciated , even a few pointers on making sequence writing easier ...........  

email address?

Thanks everybody for the pep talks and advise , if for any reason somebody needs some help ( the little I could give) contact me at yemik@charter.net .   ......... 

• 2 years later...
  • The topic was locked