Light-O-Rama Forums

Square vs bullet pixels

Star Lord

I know I want to build a pixel matrix grid, so that's why I chose to get some bullet rgb pixels.  But what would be the reasons to obtain the square rgb pixels?  Can someone give me some design advantages why a square pixel would work better than a bullet pixel (FYI, I just received a starter kit from LOR and am trying to figure out what else I might want).  Thanks

My pixel tree uses square nodes.  In my case it was for mechanical purposes.  The strips are 3/4 inch PVC tubing that was split in half.  The pixels are on the outside of the tube facing in.  The flat surface of the pixel sits nicely on the pipe with a little silicon to hold it in place.

2014_Bottom_of_strip-mounting_detail_2.j

And as seen from the audience side:

2014_Bottom_of_strip-mounting_detail_3.j

More photos and details at:  http://newburghlights.org/pixel_tree.html

Both square and bullet nodes have their purposes.  If you have a prop that sits flat against a wall, fence etc the square nodes are lower profile/not as deep.  I've found the square nodes are more secure and less likely to come out of the Boscoyo strip, Monster Matrix, ChromaMesh etc.  I chose square nodes for my matrix because it seemed like the right thing for the job.  Bullet nodes surely would work but would add and inch or so of depth to the back of matrix and the nodes aren't quite as secure in my opinion.  Majority of my display is square nodes with exception of my 58 mini trees. 

matrix.jpg.a68951c47ce63ecb7666e5b7a8f58fa0.jpg

3 hours ago, uncledan said:

Both square and bullet nodes have their purposes.  If you have a prop that sits flat against a wall, fence etc the square nodes are lower profile/not as deep.  I've found the square nodes are more secure and less likely to come out of the Boscoyo strip, Monster Matrix, ChromaMesh etc.  I chose square nodes for my matrix because it seemed like the right thing for the job.  Bullet nodes surely would work but would add and inch or so of depth to the back of matrix and the nodes aren't quite as secure in my opinion.  Majority of my display is square nodes with exception of my 58 mini trees. 

matrix.jpg.a68951c47ce63ecb7666e5b7a8f58fa0.jpg

I like your frame design, where did you get your corner brackets at? Also, how do you keep the center from bowing?

12 minutes ago, jerry72 said:

I like your frame design, where did you get your corner brackets at? Also, how do you keep the center from bowing?

Thanks, its all 1-3/8 top rail fencing, everything purchased at local Home Depot.  Bowing wasn't an issue, but it was heavy... I had a center support in the middle on the bottom and four mounting points on the top to my fence.

21 hours ago, uncledan said:

Thanks, its all 1-3/8 top rail fencing, everything purchased at local Home Depot.  Bowing wasn't an issue, but it was heavy... I had a center support in the middle on the bottom and four mounting points on the top to my fence.

I am a fence contractor, i have no problem getting top rail. I like the idea. I will have to figure out a way to attack supports, my matrix sits in the middle of the yard. MInd if i ask what size your frame is, outside dimensions?

Edited by jerry72

That is a great idea. My current frame is Alunimum and has wheels to roll it around.

Luckily for me a military friendly shop built it for me for $80 except for the wheels.

The shop was tore up by tornados last month so they are now gone. I will have to build another one for my second matrix and will use Uncledans method with some mods for my use. Need wheels and I will be using the nodes vs square, it’s what I have.

Thanks for sharing.

JR

unless you are set on bullet pixels for your matrix, you could look at P5 and P10 panels.  Less expensive to build and only slightly more DIY.

For my 4'x8' matrix I used 1" aluminum square tubing with two center supports for sagging, it is also much lighter. I also used bullet pixels as it leaves more space between pixels for the center supports.

Matrix2.thumb.JPG.3283a3ea79acc20ee7d082dd3de2a6c5.JPG

Edited by Mr. P

On 4/4/2018 at 8:45 AM, Mr. P said:

For my 4'x8' matrix I used 1" aluminum square tubing with two center supports for sagging, it is also much lighter. I also used bullet pixels as it leaves more space between pixels for the center supports.

Matrix2.thumb.JPG.3283a3ea79acc20ee7d082dd3de2a6c5.JPG

Now that looks like it took some serious time to construct but impressive.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, MGoBlue102 said:

Now that looks like it took some serious time to construct but impressive.

It took about three hours to construct the frame, paint it and bolt the sheet to it. It then took about three hours and a few bloody fingers to push in the 1200 bullet pixels.

I think the center supports are important, not only to prevent sagging but it also gives the sheet something to bolt to in the center. This matrix acts like a giant sail in the wind so having bolts in the center of the sheet is important.

Edited by Mr. P

18 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

It took about three hours to construct the frame, paint it and bolt the sheet to it. It then took about three hours and a few bloody fingers to push in the 1200 bullet pixels.

I think the center supports are important, not only to prevent sagging but it also gives the sheet something to bolt to in the center. This matrix acts like a giant sail in the wind so having bolts in the center of the sheet is important.

I did one 4x4 panel with 12mm bullets last year for halloween, hurt like hell but got it done.  Looking at making more matrixes to support video so I am focused on the P10 right now.  

2 minutes ago, MGoBlue102 said:

I did one 4x4 panel with 12mm bullets last year for halloween, hurt like hell but got it done.  Looking at making more matrixes to support video so I am focused on the P10 right now.  

I wanted to do a P10 panel matrix this year so bad but I have already spent $3500 on pre-sales this year and the wife said no more. She is going to get very angry as I still need to purchase five more falcon controllers yet.  :)

4 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I wanted to do a P10 panel matrix this year so bad but I have already spent $3500 on pre-sales this year and the wife said no more. She is going to get very angry as I still need to purchase five more falcon controllers yet.  :)

OMG, this might be an awfully expensive hobby...

4 minutes ago, MGoBlue102 said:

Yes it can...

And substitute the word "addiction" for the work "hobby"...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MGoBlue102 said:

Instead of buying a pixel tree for $800 learn to make it for $400 and save half. This is an expensive addiction but you can make your dollar go alot further.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MGoBlue102 said:

You have noooo idea.

We try to budget ~$5,000 a year for the light show. . . However, the DMX heads for 2019 are going to cause us to double-triple the budget for that year. Needless to say those are the ONLY upgrades to the show for 2019! :lol:

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Instead of buying a pixel tree for $800 learn to make it for $400 and save half. This is an expensive addiction but you can make your dollar go alot further.

Agreed.  That is why I am here.