Light-O-Rama Forums

Geo-Coding Forum Users so we can interact

Septon

Hey Guys, 

I am wondering if we can geo-code the Forum users.  It is easily done on GOOGLE Maps.  I would love to JUST see a map with Name and City,  We don't have to get too personal, but if there are others near me (I am in East Canada) and Travel a lot... it would be great to be able to perhaps touch back with some people when I travel.

It would be SO SO SO VERY simple to do.  If you could even just share Name and City, I could create the map... 
Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

I would be happy if we could just get people to put a useful location in their profile.  Too often I see people put very generic locations.  For example, does "CA" mean California, Canada, Cameroon, Cambodia?  Even if they meant California, this state is almost 1,000 miles from one end to the other - does not narrow it down much...  On my web site, I have a street level map:

Map.png

13 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I would be happy if we could just get people to put a useful location in their profile.  Too often I see people put very generic locations.  For example, does "CA" mean California, Canada, Cameroon, Cambodia?  Even if they meant California, this state is almost 1,000 miles from one end to the other - does not narrow it down much...  On my web site, I have a street level map:

Map.png

Yeah but it still comes down to... If I am in Las Vegas as I was a couple of months ago, or California a fewer months ago.  It would be nice to look on an interactive map.. see who is around there.  Having the ICON is just happen stance... IE, you stumble on a guy who happens to be in your hood.  It could be multi threaded... IE, in the profile I could put My complete physical address including Postal Code (ZIP I guess for yee yanks) and could share that, or have the user just share City and Province/State or none of the above. 

They can send me JUST The username and what info they want to share and I could in 10 min create an interactive map... that would work.  Do this 3-4 times a year to help keep it updated.. But I think it would be an awesome tool. 

Around Christmas/Halloween I may want to drive around so exact locations would be nice to share during that time.  But even if the Map showed User ID Septon living in Fredericton NB I could then look up the user send a message and start a conversation that way... then 2 can agree to meet up yada yada.

Am I making sense?

1 minute ago, bisquit476 said:

Invitation to thieves in my opinion.

Most of us give our exact locations on websites, social media, etc, so that part is already there.  Reports of having stuff stolen from displays is extremely rare.

8 hours ago, Septon said:

Yeah but it still comes down to... If I am in Las Vegas as I was a couple of months ago, or California a fewer months ago.  It would be nice to look on an interactive map.. see who is around there.  Having the ICON is just happen stance...

<snip>

Am I making sense?

Yes, you are making sense, but you kind of missed my point.  So many users of the forum can't be bothered to enter a useful location in their profile, what makes you think that they would enter it into a map based system.  I think it would be cool system, but with very little participation.  There are already map based show finders out there - https://www.christmaslightfinder.com/  for example.

30 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Most of us give our exact locations on websites, social media, etc, so that part is already there.  Reports of having stuff stolen from displays is extremely rare.

I agree, for our forum, I think we have a healthy respect.  BUT when I see on a rare occasion a house blinking... its kind of a give away too. :-)    BUT STILL, people should only OPT into sharing their city/province-state.  And if they want to give more detail, that is fine too.

24 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, you are making sense, but you kind of missed my point.  So many users of the forum can't be bothered to enter a useful location in their profile, what makes you think that they would enter it into a map based system.  I think it would be cool system, but with very little participation.  There are already map based show finders out there - https://www.christmaslightfinder.com/  for example.

No I understand, and agree.  BUT... like everything else in life.. if it really doesn't give something they want, it won't be used.  By having an interactive map, if for no other reason they may want to add their info to be part of the community so to speak, as there would be a practical purpose.

On 3/7/2018 at 3:18 PM, bisquit476 said:

Invitation to thieves in my opinion.

Bring em on! If they can get in my house they can have everything!

JR

It would be nice to at least have a state/ region/ Providence/ country forum section.

I did start a military thread but that got buried into the forums.

Until a new FB page was created this past Christmas I never realized there were so many people in my area. Since everyone isn’t a member here I had no idea. 

I am

not a FB person but was invited from a neighbor who does static displays.

I have met several members from here that live pretty close and some that live far away.

JR

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dibblejr said:

It would be nice to at least have a state/ region/ Providence/ country forum section.

I did start a military thread but that got buried into the forums.

Until a new FB page was created this past Christmas I never realized there were so many people in my area. Since everyone isn’t a member here I had no idea. 

I am

not a FB person but was invited from a neighbor who does static displays.

I have met several members from here that live pretty close and some that live far away.

JR

See that is exactly what I mean.  I have no idea and have never met anyone who is around me, if there is such a thing.

1 hour ago, Septon said:

See that is exactly what I mean.  I have no idea and have never met anyone who is around me, if there is such a thing.

You can submit your request to wishlist@lightorama.com you never know.

JR

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

You can submit your request to wishlist@lightorama.com you never know.

JR

Just sent an email.  I think it would help us all. :)

• The topic was locked