Light-O-Rama Forums

SPT-1 or SPT-2?

bossgroove

Why is it my whole life I have been spending big money on outdoor extension cords? :shock: What is the danger of using indoor wires outdoors?:? If it is so widely used, which cord is better? SPT-1 or 2? Also, is a vampire plug what I think it is? Just snap on the plug without stripping the wire?

Indoor wire typically does not have UV inhibitors to protect the insulation from oxidizing, and is not rated for wet use. In theory, with enough sunlight exposure, the insulation will shed enough thickness, or become so brittle, that there is a potential for voltages to be exposed. Wet rating is probably most important if there is a chance of the cords sitting in standing water.

The vampire plugs do install without stripping the wire. Not so much snap on, but rather a cap that slides on over the length of the connector, and wedges the wire in place. I usually use the handles of my wire cutter as a pair of pliers to push them closed.

I personally prefer SPT2, in that it has thicker insulation, so any damage to the insulation from being dragged through the yard is less likely impair the insulation integrity.

I do also use some SPT1 in my display, but primarily for low voltage applications. I am also likely to use SPT1 on some applications where wiring is running inside elements.

I, and many others, have used indoor extensions cords outside. They are only out for a couple of weeks and hold up very well. I buy SP-2 in bulk and typically cut up cheap extension cords for their ends. This is a little cheaper but more work than using vampire plugs.