Light-O-Rama Forums

Splicing RGB pixel node wires

hoosierdoc

So... I was watching the Colts BIlls game while putting nodes on a star. I wasn't paying attention and the "zip tie" I cut was actually the wiring. I was going to have to cut and solder and some point anyway, just didn't want to do it yet :D

I'm looking at components online, are there any weatherproof connectors that don't require soldering? Meaning I just put the wires into the terminal and crimp it down? I see a lot of pig-tails leading into the male and female connectors, but can't find just the terminal. I'm used to making RJ45 cat5 cables, but for weatherproofing do I just need to get the pigtail and cut/solder the end of my runs into the pigtails?

Are those heat-shrink soldering strips worth it from holidaycoro? Seems much easier for a novice soldier-er like me.

I have  used a couple hundred of them the last few years ,and I live in Chicago ILL area snow rain no problems  and I use a cheap heat gun from Harbor Frieght  to melt the solder and tube  lot easier and faster than soldering. Although soldering is cheaper .

I love them.  Can not say enough good things about them.  Have never water proofed them,  but have never had an issue.  My wife saw the bag and thought I was taking drugs because they look like pills.  Good thing she didn't look in my other draw.....

OK, just bought some and some off-spec pixnode strips. I'm cheap...

I have four bags of harbor freight purchases in the garage to sort through as it is. This is expensive and addicting! I need to set some boundaries for myself. 

edit... should have bought on amazon with free shipping and lower cost :(

Edited by hoosierdoc

I used a few and after wussing out on the first melt attempt I got the next three to look good and hold well. Hopefully the electrons agree.

next question: how do you end a custom strand of pixel nodes? Do you just cut and tape or should you put a permanent end piece on there to protect the wires?

1 hour ago, hoosierdoc said:

I used a few and after wussing out on the first melt attempt I got the next three to look good and hold well. Hopefully the electrons agree.

next question: how do you end a custom strand of pixel nodes? Do you just cut and tape or should you put a permanent end piece on there to protect the wires?

I just put a dab of hot glue on the end then electrical tape, been doing that for yers with no issues.

I don't worry about it.  I cut off the wires at a little bit of an angle so the exact ends are not right next to each other and just leave them open.  The photo below is the bottom end of one of my strings on my pixel tree.  This point is about 15 inches off my lawn and because this is southern California, the sprinklers get run during show season.  Once in a while it rains too...  This is the sixth season for these 5 volt strings.

Cable_End_bottom.sm.jpg