Light-O-Rama Forums

Buying a sequence for the first time

MattJ

Hi All

Again, thanks in advance. Hope I'm not posting too much. I promise y'all I am reading docs and searching forums in between posting!

I very much appreciate the support I've received here and would not be anywhere near as far along as I am without it. 

I've just got my noob LOR setup running. As things stand, I have no technical issues (awesome!) and I've been learning a bunch about the practical side of setting this stuff up (outside) and the programming side of things (inside at my PC).

I can write the most basic sequences and get them to run but I know that to get the best out of the lights I need to stand on the shoulders of giants and purchase a sequence or two. It's at this point I start to get a little confused.

Here's the setup:

• I am running LOR Software Version:4.3.18 (Advanced Licence)
  • 2 x CB100D 1st Gen Cosmic Color Bulb Controllers (each with 100 bulbs) - Three of these strings are along the roof line. One is around a window.
  • 1 x CTB16PCg3 16 Channel controller - I know I'm meant to have groups of four. I have two groups of four and a group of one! (only 9 channels used right now)
  • G3-MP3 Director.

Before I ask the questions; I know I have no floods, no strobes, no arches and certainly no trees (mini or mega), so I'm not expecting any sequence to look like the show of someone who has all of that.

I read the "C68P32 Read Me First" sequence document. The one that has a typical layout that looks like this:

CP68P32._small.png.968f6217e17d2ef8b29fe0bd642ffe21.png

It seems like most of the sequences for sale on the sequencing store follow this C68P32 typical layout. Is that a fair comment? (I couldn't find one that did not... though I'll admit to just browsing randomly).. and I don't have a layout like that (yet). 

If this is the typical layout, I have four questions;

1. Given my setup, is there any point buying sequences based on this layout, or will they just look pathetic?
  2. The RGB description of Controller 07 says "designed for eight RGB pixels and is used constantly during a sequence. We suggest using our CMB24D controller with eight dumb pixel ports. Connect dumb RGB ribbons, strings or floods to each port. Since these are dumb RGB lights, all the lights on the ribbon or string will be the same color but the sequence can make it any color at any time." but I have cosmic color bulbs!! They are awesome! They have hundreds of RGB pixels!! :D Are there sequences around that are designed for CCB/CCR etc that I am missing?
  3. Assuming I want to use some C68P32 layout sequences... Can I map the channels from these sequences to my CB100Ds at their current configured resolution of 50, without re-configuring them with HW utility? Some way of using the Resolution Channel?
  4. My layout for this year is set, but it's been a learning experience for sure. Next year am I better doing my "main house" with something more "dumb" on a 16 channel controller and using the CCBs for accents? (I don't like this idea, I like my CCBs round my roof line, but figure I should ask) 

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and I may be over thinking it at this point. It may just be a case of go buy a sequence, get it to work as best I can and learn from the process. 

That said, I'd certainly appreciate any advice, based on my ramblings, before I do. Thanks again. Cheers

so, not answering all 4 Q's; i'd say "Definitely buy a sequence" - and would even go so far as to suggest buying one you can modify.

you'll get a lot closer to the giants by seeing the programming in the lms file.

you can also then copy and paste from the purchased sequence any 4, 8 or 9 (up to total channels in purchased sequence) into a new sequence (back up purchased sequence before even opening in sequence editor, and - after opening - use "save as" with new file name)

you'll be able to see the channel config used in the purchased sequence, and with a little studying, figure out how to map channels into your "saved as" sequence.

Hi JRC - Thanks. I did just that.... and have been messing round with it ever since. Good fun! :)

In case anyone comes back to this post the answers to the questions are:

1. No. They look awesome
  2. According to the LOR folks; not yet. But next year LOR will be releasing 'Motion Paks' which will be add-ons to sequences that will drive things like pixel trees, singing faces, etc. 
  3. You have to have the YCM (editable) version of the sequence to do it but yes you can add the LR Macro channel in with a value of 5 (LR=5) and it works fine.
  4. Heck no! :)

Thanks for all the help getting up and running Newbie Forum Folks!