Light-O-Rama Forums

SuperStar new user... quick question

zeighty

I am new to SuperStar.  I just wanted to make sure this video is still the way to go to merge a AC lights sequence with a SS megatree pixel sequence. 

The Aux network was not expounded upon; I assume it would be e131 for my AlphaPix 16 controller. 

Here is the LOR video I reference above: https://youtu.be/iei30uQTXAQ

Thanks for you help.  

Yes, the video is still applicable, but note that in the video I mention that a subsequence may play out of sync with the main sequence. That was a bug back then, but it has long since been fixed and a subsequence will play in sync with your sequence in all 4.x versions of the software.

Also, in the video it shows how to do copy/paste and it shows adding 12 separate CCD rows into your main sequence. There is now a Pixie device. Even if you have the old CCR controllers you can add a Pixie 16 device and it will contain 16 CCR rows. You can use those rows for a Pixie 16 controller, or for the old CCR controllers, or you can even use them for CB100 controllers as long as they are configured as "dual normal". But be aware that Pixie controllers do not have the 7 macro channels at the end of each row. So when you export the sequence from superstar you will need to uncheck "Include macro channels for cosmic color devices".

Also, you can combine sequences by exporting the sequence in the new intensity data format. When exporting from superstar select "Export in New Format (as Intensity Data)" and also select "Add Intensity Data to Existing Sequence" then when you click ok a file dialog box will pop up and you can select your main sequence and the Intensity Data file will export and appear as a light blue line at the bottom of the main sequence.

There are 3 things to know before you use intensity data files.

1) You will need the "Pro" license level for the sequence editor to use intensity data files. In other words, if you don't have the Pro license, you can export intensity data from superstar, but the sequence editor won't recognize it and you will not see the light blue line at the bottom of the main sequence.

2) Intensity data requires that the "comm listener" be running. This means that you must have the "control panel" running. You know the control panel is running if you see the little LOR light bulb in the lower right of your computer screen

3) For the networks that are running "intensity data" you must go into Network Preferences in the Sequence Editor and click on the LOR tab at the top and click on the network, and a dialog box will pop up. In that dialog box select the checkbox that says "enhanced"

As for your question about the Aux A and other Aux networks, I'm not sure how that relates to your AlphaPix 16 controller. Perhaps someone else can answer that question. If you have LOR controllers, then to have two networks you need two USB485 adapters, and each adapter is used for one network.

Thanks so much for the info.  I just upgraded last night to S4 Pro and Superstar 24CCR (there go my chances of a present...) 

The main question remaining after watching LOR networking videos and reading your post above, is how to configure the network setup if I use the "Export New (intensity Data)" format for my pixels so the E.131 is sent to my AlphaPix 16 via ethernet connection.  I will use the USB485 for my 3 LOR regular controllers. 

For the Alphapix I am using 12 out of 16 outputs to 4 universes.  It is a mega tree with 12 stands of 50 pixels. 

I can post these questions separately if need be.  

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, BrianBruderer said:

Yes, the video is still applicable, but note that in the video I mention that a subsequence may play out of sync with the main sequence. That was a bug back then, but it has long since been fixed and a subsequence will play in sync with your sequence in all 4.x versions of the software.

Also, in the video it shows how to do copy/paste and it shows adding 12 separate CCD rows into your main sequence. There is now a Pixie device. Even if you have the old CCR controllers you can add a Pixie 16 device and it will contain 16 CCR rows. You can use those rows for a Pixie 16 controller, or for the old CCR controllers, or you can even use them for CB100 controllers as long as they are configured as "dual normal". But be aware that Pixie controllers do not have the 7 macro channels at the end of each row. So when you export the sequence from superstar you will need to uncheck "Include macro channels for cosmic color devices".

Also, you can combine sequences by exporting the sequence in the new intensity data format. When exporting from superstar select "Export in New Format (as Intensity Data)" and also select "Add Intensity Data to Existing Sequence" then when you click ok a file dialog box will pop up and you can select your main sequence and the Intensity Data file will export and appear as a light blue line at the bottom of the main sequence.

There are 3 things to know before you use intensity data files.

1) You will need the "Pro" license level for the sequence editor to use intensity data files. In other words, if you don't have the Pro license, you can export intensity data from superstar, but the sequence editor won't recognize it and you will not see the light blue line at the bottom of the main sequence.

2) Intensity data requires that the "comm listener" be running. This means that you must have the "control panel" running. You know the control panel is running if you see the little LOR light bulb in the lower right of your computer screen

3) For the networks that are running "intensity data" you must go into Network Preferences in the Sequence Editor and click on the LOR tab at the top and click on the network, and a dialog box will pop up. In that dialog box select the checkbox that says "enhanced"

As for your question about the Aux A and other Aux networks, I'm not sure how that relates to your AlphaPix 16 controller. Perhaps someone else can answer that question. If you have LOR controllers, then to have two networks you need two USB485 adapters, and each adapter is used for one network.

"There is now a Pixie device". Brian you are the man, that is great to know. I will have to go look now. Pm'ing a question though.

JR

zeighty, the configuration that you do is the same regardless of whether you export in legacy format or the new intensity data format.

The real issue is how to configure things. If you have one 12x50 pixel matrix or tree and you just want to sequence that matrix or tree you should be able to use "CCR mode". Click on the Tools menu and select "Layout".

In the Layout dialog box, when in CCR mode you would select the number of CCRs to be 12.

Then click on the Tools menu and select "Configuration" and there is an option to select DMX, and you set the universes you are using. Then you can click the File menu and select "Export to Sequence Editor" and at that point you choose "Legacy" or "Intensity Data"

If you want to sequence all of your lights in superstar then you need to make a visualization of all of your lights and import the visualization into superstar.

Do you just want to sequence a 12x50 tree? Or are you wanting to sequence all of your lights in superstar?