Light-O-Rama Forums

older mp3 director not responding to sd card

racerben77

Trying to get my show going and my mp3 director is not responding to my sd card.  I have never had an issue before and now cant get it working.  I have tried re-formatting the card, using a different card, sometimes the red led light flashed slow, sometimes fast, sometimes not at all.  The green power light is on but the orange light that usually flashes waiting for the scheduled show to start is not.  I am at a total loss here and have no idea what to do!!!  Help

As we have told others, brand does make a difference. It shouldn’t, but it does. Use ONLY Kingston or Lexar. 

You say “older”. Which unit do you have? The “older” get power via cat5 from closest controller. And needs to be a 50ft or shorter cable. 

according to the manual, both symptoms you mentioned sound like you still need a new sd card to me: slow blinking can't find sd card - fast blinking can't find show. 

Status LEDs There are four LEDs on the left side of the card above the Reset Button and Selector Switch. These LEDs are used as follows: E Steady blink if there is no SD card inserted into the DC-MP3. Steady ON if the Hardware Utility is attached to the DC-MP3 – no SD card may be inserted while communicating with the Hardware Utility. Blink twice, pause, blink twice, pause, … if the show selected by the Selector Switch does not exist. Fast blink if the selected show is not present on the SD card or the SD card is invalid Random blink during a show (SD card inserted) if the DC-MP3 falls more than a tenth of second behind in getting lighting controller commands out on the RS485 network link. R Steady blink if the DC-MP3 is waiting for a scheduled show to start. Blink twice, pause, blink twice, pause, … if waiting for an input trigger to start a show and/or waiting for a scheduled show. C Not currently used except during startup to indicate the firmware version present in DCMP3. P This green LED is lit when the DC-MP3 is powered.
DC-MP3
Page 12
See the DC-MP3 Firmware Versions section for an explanation of how these LEDs are used to indicate the firmware version. Selector Switch [Remember to press the Reset button after moving the Selector Switch to notify the microprocessor] With firmware version 1.0 or later firmware and an old firmware format SD card, this switch controls the RS485 communications data rate. 0 19,200 bits/second 1 57,600 bits/second 2 115,200 bits/second Use the slowest speed that successfully runs your show. If the speed you select is not fast enough to run your show, the red E LED will blink during the show. This indicates that the DC-MP3 has fallen at least one tenth of second behind in getting controller commands out on the RS485 network link. Version 2.0 and later firmware sets the communications rate via the Hardware Utility when creating the SD card to run your show(s.) The Selector Switch is not used. Version 3.0 firmware uses the Selector Switch in the following manner: Positions ‘1’ through ‘9’ select that particular show. Only the selected show will run. If the selected show has a scheduled time, it will only run during that time period. If the selected show is set to run anytime, it will start as soon as the DC-MP3 has initialized (about 5 seconds.)

One of your statements was “waiting for scheduled show to start”. Try taking the schedule out. I have mine set to play when power is applied. IDK, but worth a try. 

1 hour ago, racerben77 said:

Seven different sd cards later, the show is working.  On an old Kodak card I found, geesh

Go figure. Glad you’re up and running now!