Light-O-Rama Forums

Middle schoolers, amirite?

Jaynee

So as I've said in other threads, we were going to be dark this year but we ended up putting up a minimal version of our display - 3/4ths of the musical light show and 10 inflatables.  Nothing else.  We did it for a few reasons, just ONE of which is the fact that teenagers have vandalized our display several years in a row and it gets old very quickly to have to recover/fix broken things or search for missing things that were discarded elsewhere in the neighborhood.  The main reason is that it is a lot of work to set up our display and we just didn't feel like doing the backbreaking work this year after doing it several years straight.

I posted a note on our neighborhood page alerting parents of young children (for whom we decorate) that we were taking a break this year, in part because of vandalism, but that we'd be back next year with an even bigger and better display.

My son was riding the bus home from school the next day and overheard a girl sneer, "That house didn't put up their stuff this year because they are afraid of us."

Yeah, sure. :rolleyes:  We're afraid of immature teenagers who think it's fun to destroy/steal someone else's property.  Okay.  Next year, let's see who's afraid when we submit our security camera footage to the police and press charges once they determine who trespassed and damaged our property.  It certainly won't be ME.

I hate middle schoolers (although not mine). *lol*

Anyway, I just had to vent a bit.  I'm done now. :D  I've been able to reprogram 9 clips/songs since we decided to do a partial display, and hope to do at least one more song tonight. It's not my best work, but it's something. Our show goes live tomorrow night.

Sorry to hear you've had problems with theft & vandalism.  Those are the reasons why we never did any outdoor decorating when we lived in Milwaukee.  I kept hearing horror stories about how other families' yard décor and lights were being vandalized and/or stolen.  And it wasn't just middle-schoolers who were doing all that bad stuff; it was kids from elementary to high school, and even adults in their 20s and older.  So glad we moved far away from Milwaukee!

We have been living in a very nice rural area for the past 5 yrs, and although it did take me 3 yrs to "trust" our area, I finally put up a non-LOR light show in 2015 & 2016.  This is our 1st year using LOR, and although nothing bad has happened to our light display the previous 2 years, I'm still paranoid about the possibility of having 3 LOR light controllers stolen.  The controllers are fairly secure though, and it'll take some effort to walk away with any of them.  Like you, I'm thinking of installing security cameras.

Since you've had problems with theft and vandalism in the past, maybe you could put up a sign that says "Smile, you're on camera!  :)".   I saw that in a youtube video and thought that was very clever!

Sorry to hear about the troubles.  Have you got security cameras this year?  I don't think punks/losers are just limited to kids and teenagers.  They grow up eventually and will still be punks/losers albeit in adult size. 

I've been fortunate as the only thing "knock on wood" that has happened was we got an egg tossed towards the house a couple of years ago.  Lucky it hit a brick column and no damage.

We added to our security after the very first incident.  We now have SUPER BRIGHT motion lights that cover the entire yard and sidewalk, and security cameras shooting at multiple angles   We also have a sign alerting folks that we have camera surveillance in place.  

This year we've already received reports of inflatables being slashed elsewhere in town.  Hoping that doesn't happen to us as well.  If it does, then I think we'll be done, or move to a non-HOA area where we can set up a very high chain link fence with barbed wire along the top as part of our Christmas decor. *lol*

• The topic was locked