Light-O-Rama Forums

hdpe

notredameforlife

I got my hdpe pipes from my arches last year from McMaster carr but they don't have any this year. what websites can I get this from. 

• 2 weeks later...

update, they quoted me $10 shipping and it ended up being $19.50 for 50' of tubing. Not horrible I Guess but double what they quoted which was annoying. It did ship same day though.

26 minutes ago, hoosierdoc said:

update, they quoted me $10 shipping and it ended up being $19.50 for 50' of tubing. Not horrible I Guess but double what they quoted which was annoying. It did ship same day though.

Hoosierdoc

Same here, they quoted me $10 shipping but when they actually shipped and emailed the tracking the shipping had gone to $70, I called and they said it had to ship truck which is why the higher shipping cost, she credited me all the shipping costs so I got a good deal, just can't get them shipped so cheaply any more.

Give them a call about the shipping, $19.50 isn't too bad considering but they did quote $10.

Keith

They charged me $70 for Fedex freight for 4 9.5’ sections last year.  

That stuff is the BOMB for pixel arches, though.   I totally love mine.

Anyone use it to diffuse pixels and get more of a soft look to the points of light? I bought a sheet of white acrylic yesterday and having the RGB tape about 1" away gives a nice solid color band. Hoping to test it better soon.

I think that’s what most of us using HDPE for.  If you’re using a tubing just for mechanical purposes such as wrapping lights around the outside of the tube, PVC works fine, but PVC does not work well if you are illuminating the inside of the tube as it absorbs a lot of the light and causes quite a color shift.  HDPE on the other hand let’s quite a bit more of the light through, and does not affect the color very much.  You can see my arches here:

http://newburghlights.org/CCP_Arches.html

Here are mine I built last year. Got more to build 4 more this year but ran out of time. 

Click on the pic to the right for video   th_MOV09284_zpst6yaux8r.mp4

DSC09454_zpsqkskqnsq.jpg

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 2

thanks for the examples! I am planning to do two by running RGB tape through it though I like the thought of just poking a pixel through also. Did you glue them in place or did they just hold themselves in with the right size hole?

Any ideas on how to construct two circles? I love that effect of chasing around circles but not sure how to do the construction side of it.

22 minutes ago, hoosierdoc said:

I like the thought of just poking a pixel through also. Did you glue them in place or did they just hold themselves in with the right size hole?

I'm gathering that you were asking me that question.  There is a little silicone around the pixel where it goes into the PEX.  You can see some in this closeup.  I did not want to use something that would make it impossible to remove a pixel should I have one go bad.

2014_CCPs_in_PEX.jpg

1 hour ago, jtomason said:

I made mine by putting pixel strips inside the PEX.   This video shows the result:

Doesn't look like PEX pipe. Looks like the HDPE from McMaster-Carr.

5 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Doesn't look like PEX pipe. Looks like the HDPE from McMaster-Carr.

Yep, my bad.  It is indeed the HDPE from McMaster-Carr.  That's what I get for forum posting while working.  :)

3 hours ago, hoosierdoc said:

Jtomason, how did you make the candy canes? Those look awesome.

They were a kit from Holiday Coro.   

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:30 AM, hoosierdoc said:

In my opinion, this McMaster place is a shady business.  They also quoted me $9, and then charged me $90.   They said it was a typo.  I say that is unacceptable.  Their shopping cart is one of the dumbest on the planet.   It won't tell you the shipping cost until you PLACE the order and even then it does not tell you the cost.   They send you a receipt only a DAY AFTER they already ship the product.  I say to buy your tubing somewhere else and stay away from these scam artists.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:02 AM, Kapkirk said:

Hoosierdoc

Same here, they quoted me $10 shipping but when they actually shipped and emailed the tracking the shipping had gone to $70, I called and they said it had to ship truck which is why the higher shipping cost, she credited me all the shipping costs so I got a good deal, just can't get them shipped so cheaply any more.

Give them a call about the shipping, $19.50 isn't too bad considering but they did quote $10.

Keith

I'll cut them a little slack in saying they are a shady business.  They emailed me to say they would compensate some shipping cost.  Thus, I had the exact same experience as you.  They quoted $9 and then charged 10 times that amount.  I'm thinking that this might be the way they do business.  It is just too much of a coincidence that at least 3 people here in just this one forum have mentioned they were quoted low shipping cost and then charged a lot more.  I'm not buying the constant excuse of "It was a typo in the quote"

22 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I'll cut them a little slack in saying they are a shady business.  They emailed me to say they would compensate some shipping cost.  Thus, I had the exact same experience as you.  They quoted $9 and then charged 10 times that amount.  I'm thinking that this might be the way they do business.  It is just too much of a coincidence that at least 3 people here in just this one forum have mentioned they were quoted low shipping cost and then charged a lot more.  I'm not buying the constant excuse of "It was a typo in the quote"

I suspect there are multiple things going on that break the standard shipping calc  (that does not excuse them from fixing it or adding a note to affected products.).

Coils may trip Oversize fees.  All the major shippers use automation. Weird shapes need hand handling.

Dimensional  weight fees may apply (bulky light things get charge by size occupied).

Over 70 is another fee (2 people are supposed to handle that item. Ha! I had to deliver many 70+ by myself to avoid getting behind schedule by waiting for help)

1 hour ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I say to buy your tubing somewhere else and stay away from these scam artists.

If I could find another place that sells it, I would.