Light-O-Rama Forums

Help choosing the right adapter

Scrubs63

Hi All,

Can someone help me with my adapter choice. The RS845 Adapter sounds easy to use.:D In reading the instruction manuel, you just plug it into your seriel port on the back of your computer. The other adapters have to have drivers installed and I never have any luck installing things like that on my computer.:? My computer is less than 100 ft. from where the controller will be. Any advice on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks Scrubs:cool:

Also, if you ever wind up using a show PC without a physical serial port, it will be strongly recommended that you buy the LOR USB to serial adapter, rather than any of the other brands of USB to serial adapter. Eventually, there may be limitations on interactive PC controlled shows. As I understand it, the USB-485B is the gold medal for eventual interactive use.

- Kevin

Hi William and Kevin,

Thank you both for the advice. I bought my LOR 32 Channel stater kit this morning and went with the basic adapter, as a newbie I figured I should learn to crawl before I walk and run lol. I saved $100 bucks with the sale!:)(now I have more money for mini lights and extention cords lol:D) I am very excited. This will be my first year to use LOR. I have 25 songs sequenced so far. I started sequencing back in Jan. with the free demo version after a friend of mine sent me a YouTube video of Sparkylights Techno song Sandstorm. What can I say, I was hooked!!!!:P

I also have my 16 mini trees finished. I got great input on how to make them out of 2 tomatoe cages from the forums on this site. I live in the Rhode Island. It gets cold here by the end of Oct. I want to get my display ( the lights and extention cords) in place by Nov. 2. so all I will have to do is plug in my mini trees Thanksgiving week end. Believe me, stringing lights when the tempature outside is in the 30's is hard on the hands. lol

Again Thank You both for the help and advice. I hope to be a LOR JEDI MASTER one day, but for now I am happy just being a LOR PADAWON NEWBIE LOL:D

Take Care

Scrubs:cool: