Light-O-Rama Forums

FM transmitter

DOC

My FM transmitter is transmitting fine except for their is a lot of ststic when vocals are heard or the music is loud   any suggestions to fix problem    i have tried several stations but same result

Try turning down the volume on your computer.  If the computer is too loud, it will over modulate and create static.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Turn down the audio level to the transmitter.  One of two things is happening.  Either you are sending so much audio to the transmitter that the audio stage of the transmitter is being distorted, or the transmitter is able to handle the audio level, but it is badly over-modulated with will cause the distortion in the receivers.  If you want the technical details I can supply them (radio is what I do for a living).

I'd also check the cable between your audio source and the transmitter.  I was getting a lot of distortion on my transmitted audio one year that I narrowed down to a bad cable.

BTW, if turning down the volume does not help, PM me a phone number and I'll give you a call.  Radio is what I do for a living (on the technical side), and I have worked as a broadcast engineer.  I should be able to help.

14 hours ago, DOC said:

My FM transmitter is transmitting fine except for their is a lot of ststic when vocals are heard or the music is loud   any suggestions to fix problem    i have tried several stations but same result

I had this issue before and I used a longer cable between the transmitter and the audio source and it took care of the problem. Let us know if you get it figured out please.

Hello all!  I'm experiencing the same problem.  Last season I purchased the transmitter from Christmas Light Show and from the moment I took it out of the box it was distorted and staticky. I just didn't worry about it last yr because that was the first yr for me and LOR, so I didn't worry about it. Now that I have a jump on the season I would like to get it figured out. Here is what I've done to troubleshot:

1.  Went up and down the dial to find the right station.  Selected 88.7fm.  

2. Switched from a short cable to a long one.

3. Turned down the volume on the transmitter.

4.  Tried to position the transmitter closer to the vehicle.

None of this has worked.  Today I noticed the volume was really low in my truck even though I had the volume cranked to the max.

I thought about buying a new transmitter but if others are having this issue then that might not work.

Thanks in advance. Semper Fi!

23 hours ago, Capt_Bill_USMC said:

Hello all!  I'm experiencing the same problem.  Last season I purchased the transmitter from Christmas Light Show and from the moment I took it out of the box it was distorted and staticky. I just didn't worry about it last yr because that was the first yr for me and LOR, so I didn't worry about it. Now that I have a jump on the season I would like to get it figured out. Here is what I've done to troubleshot:

1.  Went up and down the dial to find the right station.  Selected 88.7fm.  

2. Switched from a short cable to a long one.

3. Turned down the volume on the transmitter.

4.  Tried to position the transmitter closer to the vehicle.

None of this has worked.  Today I noticed the volume was really low in my truck even though I had the volume cranked to the max.

I thought about buying a new transmitter but if others are having this issue then that might not work.

Thanks in advance. Semper Fi!

How long is your audio cable? I have my transmitter 20 feet from my audio source.

Mine is about 75 feet from the show computer to the sound mixer, then from the mixer to the FM transmitter close to 150 feet.  From the mixer to the audio amplifiers for the yard speakers is about 120 feet.  Note that I am NOT using standard unbalanced audio cables.  I'm running everything as balanced audio.

But I'm not normal.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m kind of having the same issue. When listening in the car, the parts of the song that get loud, become distorted.  I’m using a mini director to run my show. I have my fm transmitter mounted next to my first controller. I’m wondering if I should move the transmitter away from the controller and stretch the antenna to the highest interior part of the garage? Also, where the transmitter is currently mounted, there is a lot of metal. Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Stacy R said:

I’m kind of having the same issue. When listening in the car, the parts of the song that get loud, become distorted.  I’m using a mini director to run my show. I have my fm transmitter mounted next to my first controller. I’m wondering if I should move the transmitter away from the controller and stretch the antenna to the highest interior part of the garage? Also, where the transmitter is currently mounted, there is a lot of metal. Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

Sounds like an overmodulation problem.   Turn down the source audio or adjust the input level on the transmitter. 

Do you turn that down on the transmitter?  And if so, how. Sorry for the lack of knowledge. This is my first year using a transmitter. 

9 minutes ago, Stacy R said:

Do you turn that down on the transmitter?  And if so, how. Sorry for the lack of knowledge. This is my first year using a transmitter. 

What transmitter?

Most transmitters have an input level adjustment.  If the loud portions distort, when you are listening on a radio, turn down the level to the transmitter at the source or turn down the level adjustment on the transmitter.

Note BTW, when properly adjusted, your music will almost certainly sound quieter than your local commercial FM station.  The reason is that your local FM station almost certainly highly compresses the audio before sending it to the transmitter, whereas normally we are not.  This is likely less true for a classical station, than for a station carrying more recent music.