Light-O-Rama Forums

My Small Holiday Display. Enjoy!!

Disparky

This is my first year decorating the house.  I built the tree last year and decided to match the house with it this year.  Hope you enjoy!

• Like 6

Are you serious?  This is your first year?  It's freeking amazing.  I don't think I can do that in 10 years!

Tell me about your display.  How many channels, what controllers are you using, what kind of lights and where you purchased from. Thanks.

Edited by Jefffrompawpaw

Thank you!  I threw my wal-mart light strings and inflatable santa in the trash and I'm going with this.  I'm working on a mannheim steamroller christmas tune but it takes so dang long in pixel editor.  I have to admit that building this was a lot of fun.  Now my neighbor wants me to decorate his boat.

On 11/17/2017 at 11:10 PM, Jefffrompawpaw said:

Are you serious?  This is your first year?  It's freeking amazing.  I don't think I can do that in 10 years!

Tell me about your display.  How many channels, what controllers are you using, what kind of lights and where you purchased from. Thanks.

Hi Jeff,

Channels of DMX = 9,216 using three e1.31 Bridge boards from DIYexpress.  Each universe of DMX is sent to a DMX to WS2811 converter board which talks to 150 pixels, so I have 12 of those scattered around.  There are three 30A 12V power supplies, one for each e1.31 bridge or six universes of DMX.  I get my lights off amazon, 500 of them for $138.  I use the LOR software with Pixel Editor to create the data.  From the PC I run to the router as a switch and then out a single cat6 to the first box which contains two of the DMX bridges and another network switch.  This box feeds all the lights on the house and jumping arches.  From the switch in this box a cat6 proceeds out to the tree where there's another box containing a DMX bridge, seven dmx to ws2811 converter boards and yet another network switch for future use.  The tree has six groups of three strings set up in a half circle.  Most all the lights are held and spaced by 1/2" pvc with holes drilled through so they look like flutes and mounted around the windows and what not. The tree is also all PVC.   I use a stepper bit to drill the holes in PVC without cracking.   I push the lights through so they peek out the other side and they stay in place.  For other areas, I use the strips from Boscoyo.  I also made the arches from PVC and arch strips bought from Boscoyo.  Enclosures and hardware were from Lowes and I buy all my four conductor shielded wire from a local surplus store here in Orlando called Sky Craft.  I think that's about it.  A lot of coffee, beer and music in the garage during this project was also a requirement.  

Chris

Edited by Disparky

9 hours ago, Disparky said:

Hi Jeff,

Channels of DMX = 9,216 using three e1.31 Bridge boards from DIYexpress.  Each universe of DMX is sent to a DMX to WS2811 converter board which talks to 150 pixels, so I have 12 of those scattered around.  There are three 30A 12V power supplies, one for each e1.31 bridge or six universes of DMX.  I get my lights off amazon, 500 of them for $138.  I use the LOR software with Pixel Editor to create the data.  From the PC I run to the router as a switch and then out a single cat6 to the first box which contains two of the DMX bridges and another network switch.  This box feeds all the lights on the house and jumping arches.  From the switch in this box a cat6 proceeds out to the tree where there's another box containing a DMX bridge, seven dmx to ws2811 converter boards and yet another network switch for future use.  The tree has six groups of three strings set up in a half circle.  Most all the lights are held and spaced by 1/2" pvc with holes drilled through so they look like flutes and mounted around the windows and what not. The tree is also all PVC.   I use a stepper bit to drill the holes in PVC without cracking.   I push the lights through so they peek out the other side and they stay in place.  For other areas, I use the strips from Boscoyo.  I also made the arches from PVC and arch strips bought from Boscoyo.  Enclosures and hardware were from Lowes and I buy all my four conductor shielded wire from a local surplus store here in Orlando called Sky Craft.  I think that's about it.  A lot of coffee, beer and music in the garage during this project was also a requirement.  

Chris

Thanks for all that info, I still don't get it.  I guess I'll have to drive to Orlando and check it out.   I can't wait to see what you do next.

18 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Looks great but for your second year you really have to get some lights on that fence, that fence has unlimited possibilities there.

True.  Possibly a piano type thing but in order to take full advantage, need to figure a way to assign each fence board to a midi note and automate the programming process.  Having to draw in each .05 square box for each note being played is giving me a headache.  I wish this software were more like the Gilderfluke PCMACS or Weigl ConductorPro where things can be programmed in real time all together using a Mackie MCU, keyboard, joystick or any other input device.  Pixel Editor reminds me of the old 90's Alcorn McBride Winscript.  It get's it done though, albeit rather slowly.   That fence though.  A blank canvas.  Something will be done about it.

Thank you!

Chris

I love the lights "falling away" on the arches near the beginning.  Very cool.  Might have to steal that idea....

• Like 2

I loved the way some of the lights Bloomed to a larger soft ball.

Is this just the light, or is it because of a fixed camera exposure setting?

5 hours ago, TheDucks said:

I loved the way some of the lights Bloomed to a larger soft ball.

Is this just the light, or is it because of a fixed camera exposure setting?

I believe that was due to the camera trying to focus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked