Light-O-Rama Forums

New and can't figure this out (UK lights problem)

Pumpkin_King

Hi all
I've managed to get my 16 box residential controller up and working, but I am not able to use the fade up or down or shimmer effect. with both of these functions the LEDs simply light up to max and do not fade up or shimmer.
I have made sure these LEDs do have fade functionality, and I have also connected and tried a RGB strip which definitely fades, both have the same effect, the fade simply turns the light on or off with no gradual light increase or decrease.
Do you chaps have any ideas?

Cheers

Edited by Pumpkin_King

18 minutes ago, Pumpkin_King said:

Hi all
I've managed to get my 16 box residential controller up and working, but I am not able to use the fade up or down or shimmer effect. with both of these functions the LEDs simply light up to max and do not fade up or shimmer.
I have made sure these LEDs do have fade functionality, and I have also connected and tried a RGB strip which definitely fades, both have the same effect, the fade simply turns the light on or off with no gradual light increase or decrease.
Do you chaps have any ideas?

Cheers

How (what program) are you trying to do this?  All my cheepo (1/2 wave) LED strings dim and shimmer just fine.

Single brightness suggests constant current regulation (a blob) , instead if a simple, in line  resistor (pencil dia)

It sounds like the LEDs you have don't really like to fade.  You said that you confirmed that they have fade capability.  how did you determine that?

And I agree with TheDucks, never had a problem with cheap LED strings fading.  There are many reports that Martha Stewart brand LED strings tend to catch fire when dimmed - DON'T USE THEM!

Thanks guys, 

I'm using the hardware utility, and I've tried the sequencer as well.

the lights are supposedly multi function with fade and selector, I'm wondering if it's the inline selector that's causing the issue. Will post a pic, also these are cheapo UK lights from Asda (Walmart).

lights.jpg

9 minutes ago, Pumpkin_King said:

the lights are supposedly multi function with fade and selector, I'm wondering if it's the inline selector that's causing the issue. Will post a pic, also these are cheapo UK lights from Asda (Walmart).

That absolutely is your problem.  Since you are in the UK, as I understand it, you have a bigger problem.  Over here in the USA, "normal" Christmas light strings are powered from our standard 120 VAC power outlets and each electrical string operates at that 120 volts.  As I understand it, over there almost all "normal" Christmas lights strings actually operate at 24 volts and there is essentially always a transformer or controller in line to create the proper voltage.  I further understand that light strings like we use are simply not available over on your side of the pond.  Hopefully someone over there will jump in on this thread and give you some advise.  Unfortunately I can't help you much since I don't have details on what strings are available in the UK.

• Like 1

Thank you for coming back to me, makes sense now you explained it. I will try and get some ebay lights shipped over. Thank you for coming back to me so quickly.

Doesn't the UK run 240v in their outlets? Is your 16 ch controller 240v? If so then don't use American 120v lights off of Ebay, you mentioned shipped over, or you will burn them up, you need 240v lights.

Do the European controllers cut the voltage down?

Edited by Mr. P

2 hours ago, Pumpkin_King said:

Thanks guys, 

I'm using the hardware utility, and I've tried the sequencer as well.

I have never seen a DC output rated in VA.  VA is used for AC because of ELI the ICE man  (AKA power factor due to phase angle)

Your other choice is to get a CMB24D and a 24V power supply (or 2. depending on total load). the CMB24 will give you 12 4Amax  (monochrome) ports PER BANK (you could make the other bank 5V or 12V. use any set of ports with dumb RGB of the proper voltage.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Doesn't the UK run 240v in their outlets? Is your 16 ch controller 240v? If so then don't use American 120v lights off of Ebay, you mentioned shipped over, or you will burn them up, you need 240v lights.

Do the European controllers cut the voltage down?

Yeah, so in the image above the rated voltage is 24V

The LOR box is 240V, I'll pull out all my various lights tonight to test but I'm not hopeful. I've ordered a bunch of lights from amazon UK which I will also test, but again, not gonna get my hopes up.

I'm thinking I might need to just go with a static display this year and do some more homework on the lights. I'd rather wait another year (as painful as it is) then have a half baked show.

Pretty much, if there is any sort of controller or transformer between the wall plug and the lights, it won’t work for our purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bring this full circle, I have managed to source some LEDs which behave correctly with fade twinkle and shimmer. 

They do have the transformer between the LOR controller and the lights, but behaviour is't affected so that's good. 

Also had good results with LED rope light.

I was out all day Saturday hanging lights and got half the house done |(and now have a stinking cold), ran a couple tests and it looked good. I've got some arches coming this week and I've ordered another controller with 4 day shipping (what an age we live in!) Once I got it working I decided the music isn't loud enough so I have an order out for an outdoor speaker.

More to follow, but again, thank you everyone for your guidance and help.

On 11/27/2017 at 4:12 PM, Pumpkin_King said:

Just to bring this full circle, I have managed to source some LEDs which behave correctly with fade twinkle and shimmer. 

They do have the transformer between the LOR controller and the lights, but behaviour is't affected so that's good. 

Also had good results with LED rope light.

I was out all day Saturday hanging lights and got half the house done |(and now have a stinking cold), ran a couple tests and it looked good. I've got some arches coming this week and I've ordered another controller with 4 day shipping (what an age we live in!) Once I got it working I decided the music isn't loud enough so I have an order out for an outdoor speaker.

More to follow, but again, thank you everyone for your guidance and help.

Just to clearify, you got the led strings of light to work regardless of the transformator? I too am looking to get a 16 port controller and start my first lightshow. I am located in Norway so i am nervous of dropping 400 dollars on a controller if this wont work with "our lighting"

Maybe not all will work but there is possible to get lights that work?

Hi, yes I managed to get it to work despite the transformer.

Here's what I found. Lights sold in supermarkets will power on and off, but will not shimmer, twinkle or fade.

Cheap Chinese lights sold on Amazon will do all the above if they are white, coloured ones again only turn on and off.

My best results were from buying dumb LED strips in red white and green from aliexpress as these worked flawlessly and ship with European plugs fitted (2 pin)

I also found a local company who supply their own lighting controls, and I bought some lights from them, again these worked 100%

So in short, you will be able to get Lights that work, but you may need to go through some trial and error before you are able to get the best results. 

not sure if this is allowed as it may be seen as promoting a competitor, but the company I used for the lights is syncrolights

you can also purchase the following white lights from amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01753OUF0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't think it could be labeled as competition since LOR or any of its authorized partners do not sell 240v lights. Our non-North American brothers and sisters have it a little tougher finding lights that work.

This is great. Thank you so much for your help. This makes it a little easier to order the controller, as i now know i can find lights that work. :D