Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Pixel Tree?

DisneyMatt10

So, since it is never too early to start planning for next year. We are really wanting to change out our 17+ft tall mega tree to a pixel tree for next year. However, I have no idea where to even begin!! Pixel trees look a bit... Overwhelming to try to figure out! (Also, it seems like most of the ones I see are much smaller than 17ft) Then again, it's hard to tell the size in videos. 

Any advice on on how to begin with one of these, or maybe how to build/set one up... Or if there is a kit out there?? All greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

I got all of my parts from BS. 

The plan is the same as a regular megattee. Mine will be 20’ based on 100 pixels per strand at 32 I believe is in my top section.

I got busy sequencing all year and building other pixel props so the tree will actually go up 2018.

I was going to change my mega tree with tower to pixels but I’m rethinking using the standard winch method discussed on a lot of videos. That makes it much easies.

Youtube the below I think that’s right it’s been a while

J.U.M.P. Mega tree

Now sequencing will be another story. Trial by error.

JR

I have a "standard" 12 strip flat pixel tree which is about 17' high without a topper.  With my star it tops out at a little under 20'.  You can check my videos in the link below.  The pixel strips are 16' 6" long with 50 pixels per strip.  Most places that sell sequences for these use this setup along with a 16 strip tree too.  There are different ways to go about constructing it showing on youtube and the LOR forum.  I believe k6ccc just recently refurbished his tree or in the process of and he's always good for useful information. 

I use a single 16 output smart controller to run the tree with 12 outputs for the strips and 4 outputs for the star with no power injection needed.  I purchased a few sequences (holidaysequences.com) to use and see how they go about creating effects and images for the tree.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

I have two 10' sections of black pipe.  Going up 20' is to much for fence pipe. I had four 18" stakes and I used rope for guide wire. This year I am using wire. The rope kept stretching. We had so much rain and high winds last  December . The ground got soft and the ground stakes pulled right out of the ground. The tree fell 2 times.    This year I am going to cement a pole in the ground.  So if you think the tree going to be in the same spot. I would cement one in. Put it under the grass level and put a pipe cap on it for off season.  I still might have to put cement in to hold the guide wires. I also used holidaycoro.  The pixel strips are 16' 6" long with 50 pixels per strip. The extra 4' was good for me because I have 3' - 4' bushes along my backyard fence. So you can't see the bottom of the tree from a distance.  I seen alot of people complaining that there pixel didn't work right this year after putting them away for the summer. I have my fingers crossed.  I did buy bullets to do a matrix this year. If worse comes. I will use the bullets for the mega tree. 

Edited by Richard365

5 hours ago, Richard365 said:

I have two 10' sections of black pipe.  Going up 20' is to much for fence pipe. I had four 18" stakes and I used rope for guide wire. This year I am using wire. The rope kept stretching. We had so much rain and high winds last  December . The ground got soft and the ground stakes pulled right out of the ground. The tree fell 2 times.    This year I am going to cement a pole in the ground.  So if you think the tree going to be in the same spot. I would cement one in. Put it under the grass level and put a pipe cap on it for off season.  I still might have to put cement in to hold the guide wires. I also used holidaycoro.  The pixel strips are 16' 6" long with 50 pixels per strip. The extra 4' was good for me because I have 3' - 4' bushes along my backyard fence. So you can't see the bottom of the tree from a distance.  I seen alot of people complaining that there pixel didn't work right this year after putting them away for the summer. I have my fingers crossed.  I did buy bullets to do a matrix this year. If worse comes. I will use the bullets for the mega tree. 

Thanks for the feedback!! We have pretty much the same tree setup as you do. (Just without the pixels) We've got the 2 sections of black pipe which sits down into a 3 ft deep concrete base. (covered with grass, and capped in the off season.) So that we should be good on. Just not sure how to get the pixel strips coming down to be sturdy enough. . . Is there some type of mount for them?? Or should I just use some sort of pipe and come up with my own? 

I was one of those people who had nothing but issues when I brought my strips out of storage this year. Almost ALL of the red pixels were dead. I had to replace most of the strips in the show. 

I'm highly consdering using bullets for the tree when we do it next year. (Just because I'm so sick of these pixel strips.) What are the pros-and-cons to using the bullet nodes over the strips?? 

Edited by DisneyMatt10

I used  PixNode Strip(tm) - 12mm RGB Node Node Mounting Strips for Pixel MegaTrees. I just tywrapped them on. Still isn't perfect. But I am already to switch to bullets. Since the tree is 20 feet. One strip isn't long enough. So had to add another strip. Then I staked them into the ground. Get them on holidaycoro

• Like 1

I see I was mentioned as a source of info.  My pixel tree is a flat tree with 12 strings of 50 pixels with 2.5 inch spacing.  That makes it 122.5 inches from the top pixel to the bottom pixel with the bottom pixel about 10 inches off the ground.  With the star on top, the total height is about 16 feet. For a good description, go to the web page at:  http://newburghlights.org/pixel_tree.html

This year I have a different star than the web page shows.  It’s now the Boscoyo Studio 270 pixel star.  Next year I am planning on rebuilding the tree.  I’m not 100% sure on the new configuration, but leaning to 16 strings of 100 pixels.

i am driving it with a SanDevices E682 E1.31 controller with 12 outputs for the 12 strings of the tree and three outputs for the star.  I am feeding power to both ends of the 90 pixel strings for the star because it was badly needed.  It all runs at 5 volts.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Jim,

I was surfing the forum looking for power injection answers and came across your response on the mega tree with good links for future use (Newburg lights and Boscoyo Studio).  I guess I need to surf more to learn about the pixel tree since I haven't built mine yet.  Great Information and THANK YOU!

John

On 11/8/2017 at 4:43 PM, DisneyMatt10 said:

So, since it is never too early to start planning for next year. We are really wanting to change out our 17+ft tall mega tree to a pixel tree for next year. However, I have no idea where to even begin!! Pixel trees look a bit... Overwhelming to try to figure out! (Also, it seems like most of the ones I see are much smaller than 17ft) Then again, it's hard to tell the size in videos. 

Any advice on on how to begin with one of these, or maybe how to build/set one up... Or if there is a kit out there?? All greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Do you want a pixel tree or a ribbon tree?  I put one of each in my yard this year. 

I built the ribbon tree with pixels pushed into strips from HC (although my starburst poles use the heavier strips from Boyosco which haven't stretched as much).  It is 12'8" without the star and is 16x50 pixels in a 180 degree tree.  I just used fence post and 4 guy wires with the base of the fence post inserted into a piece of wood that I drilled a hole about 1" deep so that it couldn't sink into the ground or move side to side.

I built the ribbon tree using the videos on-line with the 3/4" EMT conduit.  I have a flag pole in my yard so I added guy wires and a board across the top with screws angled downward.  I flattened the EMT and drilled holes big enough to slide over the screw heads while standing at the bottom of the pole.  Since the screws are angled down the poles can't come off the screws unless lifted.  In order to keep the poles from moving at the bottom I drilled 12 3/4" holes about 3/4" deep into a long board.  As I lifted the poles onto the screws I made sure they came down into the hole in the wood.  (I staked the wood down into the yard as well)   Now the bottom of the pole can't be moved unless lifted.  So the poles stay in place even in windy/gusty conditions, most of the weight is on the wood, not the flagpole (which is important) and the guy wires keep the flagpole from moving.  The star is just zip-tied to the flagpole above the top of the EMT.

Much much easier to build the pixel tree than the ribbon tree, at least in my case...  But I built both from scratch in less than 3 days and that included multiple trips to the hardware store and lots of youtube time in between!

IMG_2240.jpg

Edited by whyintheworld
  • Like 1

^ Thanks for the great tips!! 

4 minutes ago, whyintheworld said:

Do you want a pixel tree or a ribbon tree?

You know, that's the problem... I really can't decide. After the fail rate I have had with strips I'm ready to swear them off all together... I like the look of the ribbon trees... But yet I like the look of the pixel trees too!! I really cant decide... I guess I need to watch more YouTube videos to compare the difference in look and see what's going to fit my display best... :blink: