Light-O-Rama Forums

FM transmitter outside

Light_addiction

I have the Showtime Central setup with the FM transmitter and Gen 3 mini Director mounted in LOR'S primex box. 

Can I mount this outside? 

Reason is that my house sits 200 ft from the road and I want the transmitter closer to the road so it comes through clear on people's radios. 

Thanks everyone! 

Absolutely. Mine has been outside since May/ June to test props. It’s a waterproof enclosure. Just have it off the ground and screw or zip tie or both the cover shut

But that distance is not that far to make you have out by road. If it’s not getting good reception from your house you should check a different station and also check the wire where it is acrewed into the connector, it may be loose or broke.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

9 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Absolutely. Mine has been outside since May/ June to test props. It’s a waterproof enclosure. Just have it off the ground and screw or zip tie or both the cover shut

But that distance is not that far to make you have out by road. If it’s not getting good reception from your house you should check a different station and also check the wire where it is acrewed into the connector, it may be loose or broke.

JR

I haven't tested it yet.  I built a stand or my controller as I need it further in the yard, so I wanted to attach the FM transmitter to it as well.  LOR suggests that the Director be within 50 ft of the first control box and having it in my house would make it further than that. 

2 hours ago, Light_addiction said:

I haven't tested it yet.  I built a stand or my controller as I need it further in the yard, so I wanted to attach the FM transmitter to it as well.  LOR suggests that the Director be within 50 ft of the first control box and having it in my house would make it further than that. 

You may just want to test it. For my backyard test area my minidirector/ fm transmitter (showtime central) was exactly 100' and I was running cCR tree, matrix and 1 set of singing faces (4). LOR is always aires on the safe side so they don't receive a bunch of trouble calls for various reasons. I know exactly 100' because that was the length of my first data cable. Never hurts to try and see. 

JR