Light-O-Rama Forums

running your light show poll

christmascrossing

running your light show poll  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use one computer for sequencing and running your show, or two separate computers?

• I use one computer for sequencing and running my show
    • I use one computer for sequencing my show, and another computer for running my show
  2. 2. How many separate shows / locations do you manage?

• 2 to 5
    • more than 5
  3. 3. If you use two separate computers (1 for sequencing and 1 for running the show), how do you transfer files?

• local area network (wifi, ethernet, etc)
    • usb stick
    • use remote technology (like Chrome remote desktop, windows remote desktop connection, etc)
    • other?

We use two different computers to program, my wife does most of the sequencing but I do some as well. We then transfer/copy the sequences to another computer/hard drive and then run the show on another laptop that is used only for the show.

The vast majority of the sequencing is done on my family room computer (the one I'm using for the post).  For Halloween and Christmas, I have a dedicated show computer, but for my year round landscape lighting, my file server runs the show.  ALL LOR files are saved on my file server.  For all computers that ever even think about LOR, there is a mapped network drive of L: which is where LOR is set to store files.  In the case of the server, show computer, and this computer, L: is actually D:\Shared\LOR on my server.  This way, all three computers are looking at the same hard drive space for files, so any change made by any of the three computers is seen by all three.  For my laptop, and an old XP computer that I do a little testing on, L: is a local folder on the C: drive.  That way I CAN sequence on either of these without having the path names messed up.  All my LOR files are backed up to Google Drive, so if I need to move a file to or from one of the non-networked computers, I just upload / download from Google Drive.

Ransomeware locked all my files a few years ago.   Local and Dropbox. So now my show computer is an island that is not connected to my home network.  It is another backup drive in case I get hit by ransomware again.

Please backup all your files to an area that is not a network drive.  The ransomware will use your credentials to make the changes to all drives and encrypt your files.

I use a thumb drive and at the end of the year burn the files to a DVD.  

The show computer drive was used to restore my encrypted files last time. I thought drop box would protect me so I didn't have any other backup.  It didn't.

Due to SE problems I have had multiple computers attempting to run my show. Funny how my laptop is the slowest of all of them and yet is the only one that will run my show 100%

The other two are experiencing Show on Demand withdrawl symptoms. They will not play more than 2 songs without the LOR System Tray shuts down. Awaiting LOR to tell me something, its been a few weeks.

JR

• Sad 1

I use 1 computer to sequence and the other one is the show only in an effort to keep it "clean" plus it was built especially for the light show.  I use drop box to store and transfer files.  This year we are doing only 1 show but next year we plan the main show plus a couple of specialty nights ( police/military appreciation night, etc)

• The topic was locked