Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Device Not Found

jroot

General objective is to start adding RGB to my existing show this year:

After some trial and error, my new RGB (red) adaptor is connected. Once I had it connected, I was able to find my new RGB controller and successfully control a test flood light. I then attempted to refresh the hardware to find 4 devices, 3 standard and the new RGB, using the daisy chain approach shown on LORs website. I was only able to find the 3 standard devise. So, after disconnecting and starting over, the hardware cannot find the RGB device as it did before even when it is the only connected device. No error messages, just "0 devices found"

Any ideas how to connect both my standard and RBG controllers together? Thanks!

Make sure the Max Unit ID (upper right corner of the H.U.) is high enough to search for the Unit ID that the RGB controller is set to.  This SHOULD not be an issue since you were seeing it before, but gotta ask...

Check and make sure that you don't have either a connector issue on a controller or a bad cable.  Start with a visual inspection.  Then connect one controller via one cable and search.  Repeat the test with all for controllers individually trying with both RJ-45 connectors, and every cable.  If you are lucky, you will find that every time a certain cable or jack is used, it fails.  That would narrow down the problem!

Did you assign a new ID to your RGB contoller? It comes set at default which is ID 1 so it will only show three devices as two devices would have the same ID.

Thanks Jim and Mr. P. Yes, I've tried to change the ID of the RGB unit but it fails. I get a generic "unit ID change failed, retry" - is there a special way to make that change for RGB? I've tried the regular changing of ID as well as Old ID = 1 to new ID = 6, 9, or 4 and none seem to work.

I have a solid red light, but I fail to find the device most times when I refresh. I'm swapping cables, rebooting, reinstalling, etc. Just seems very clunky at this point. If I could get some kind of consistent symptoms I might be able to move on.

As I'm typing this, I was failing once again to detect the device. So I unplugged the device and cables and rebooted. Plugged in the device, connect to the usb port, opened hardware and got a steady LED. So now I should be able to find the device with a refresh...trying that now.

OK, so that worked. 1 device found. Now I <should> be able to test the light in light console. OK, that worked, getting somewhere. As you suggested this is set to Unit 1. My other standard controllers are units 1, 2 and 3. Maybe that why it won't find all 4 devices. My attempts to update this Unit ID have failed so far, however, things were not "working" as they are at this moment. Before I try again, any recommendations on how you'd update it? Also, for Christmas I run 5 standard units, so I'd want to set this to 6 or higher just for consistency. Thanks again.

Perfect example of issues I'm having: After things looked promising per my last reply, I tried a simple update to the unit ID (old = 1 and new = 6). I got the previously mentioned generic failure message that says to retry. I closed the HU and reopened it and my device is gone. When I refresh, 0 units found. LED is still solid. So I'm back to square one. Nothing is acting like it just did an hour ago. So what now, disconnect everything and reinstall the software, etc? I guess I'll need to contact LOR support sometime this week. Total bummer. Open to other ideas.

1 hour ago, jroot said:

Perfect example of issues I'm having: After things looked promising per my last reply, I tried a simple update to the unit ID (old = 1 and new = 6). I got the previously mentioned generic failure message that says to retry. I closed the HU and reopened it and my device is gone. When I refresh, 0 units found. LED is still solid. So I'm back to square one. Nothing is acting like it just did an hour ago. So what now, disconnect everything and reinstall the software, etc? I guess I'll need to contact LOR support sometime this week. Total bummer. Open to other ideas.

Read up.

jroot

You can't use the HU to change ID on the CMB24, only the discovery (refresh) part.

Use the chart on Page 20 (but it is standard Binary, starting at SW1)

Also be sure the jumpers are in LOR mode.

Thanks. Was working on that now, but appreciate the confirmation. I had to toggle pin 12 on and reconnect to reset it to the new ID I set, assume that's normal. Not sure what you meant by the "jumpers" but after resetting the unit with pins set to a new ID, I was finally able to find all the units. Feel like I can start to do some sequence programming. Thanks to everyone that weighed in today, appreciate it.

• The topic was locked