Light-O-Rama Forums

Neon Rope Light

jfuller8400

Well, one of the pluses about starting to put up the display early is I can find out when things don't work.  Tonight I found two of my LED wire frame bells went out on me.  So in looking for some new rope light, I found what's called a Neon Rope Light:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1M-2835-LED-Flexible-Neon-Rope-Strip-Light-Xmas-Outdoor-Waterproof-450-550LM-/352053530840?var=621540120972&hash=item51f80690d8:g:95gAAOSwKytZEu26

Has anyone ever used this stuff and does it dim/work well with our controllers?

Joel

• 3 months later...

I ended up ordering two of these just to experiment with (and because I noticed another one of my bells went out during this year's show).  I'm happy to report that they dim very nicely and are super bright.  They are rectangular in shape (rather than round like a rope light) so I'll have to see how well they fit on the wire frames, but I'm optimistic.

A friend of mine uses the neon rope and likes it very much.  The one caveat he has encountered is the delay in activation of the rope from the desired "On" timing.  He had to skew his timing.  That said, his neon rope is several years old and the tech may have improved in that time.  I would be very interested in hearing your testing on timing of the On command in a sequence and the actual On state of the rope.  

If using the power supply that comes with those to be plugged into a AC controller, you'll probably never get around the delay as it goes through the circuitry of that power supply stepping down the high voltage to low voltage.  Adjustment in sequencing seems the only option unless you hack directly to a DC controller.  For RGB models, that doesn't look possible with only two prongs unless it's one solid color neon strip.

Hmmm...Interesting questions.  I wonder if the delay is similar to what occurs with regular LED lights.  I'll try and do some testing this weekend and post the results.

1 hour ago, jfuller8400 said:

I wonder if the delay is similar to what occurs with regular LED lights. 

I don't get delays with regular LED light strands. You shouldn't either. They are intended for high voltage as the power source to begin with.