Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24D Dumb controller question

Scud

Does anyone here have experience with the CMB 24D? I am doing some converting of regular lights to the rgb strips. I have 3 amp strips and need 9. However the controller only has 8 channels. Each channel with a 4 amp rating. If I use 1.5 strips for two channels it would draw about 4.5 amps. Do I need to cut it even more than that or can I get away with 4.5 amps?

Without heatsinks installed LOR recommends that you don't go over 4 amps per channel, with heatsinks installed they say it can handle 8 amps per channel.

That said, unless you are running them at full white your strips won't pull the full 4.5 amps.  So its up to you, you could risk it, probably will work, but any damage would be on you.

I am NOT recommending this but, the three amps per strip that you are quoting would be 100% full on white if you stayed away from that then you should be okay. Like I said, I am NOT recommending this.

Ok I like the idea of the heat sink. Where can I get one and how do I go about doing that? Thanks so much for the help everyone. Also is that one per channel or per board. Not too keen on the whole modifying thing. But thanks you all!

I did ask LOR the same question and they states that as long as the tital stays under 30 amps I should be fine  7 channels with 3 amps and 1 with 6 for a total of 27 amps....however I may split one strand in half and and do 2 channels with 4.5...hope that will work. But sounds like it will be fine. And my power supply is a 360 watt.

8 hours ago, Scud said:

Ok I like the idea of the heat sink. Where can I get one and how do I go about doing that? Thanks so much for the help everyone. Also is that one per channel or per board. Not too keen on the whole modifying thing. But thanks you all!

1 per board  BANK would be custom. the connector locations prevent a heatsink design like used on the AC series.

I would use Jameco (because they are local), but almost any parts supply house (like digikey) should have them.  The issue I discovered when I was considering doing this, was device spacing. 

Maybe someone has a part number they had success with.  (btw, my initial plan was to mount them backwards (fins to the center of the board) so as to not interfere with the connectors

• The topic was locked