Light-O-Rama Forums

Getting started with RGB

wicket82

I am thinking about trying to get into RGB. I know people “make their own” by buying the different components separate and them adding them together. Basically building your own controller and all. I see the pixel boards for sell on LoR. I would like to stick with LoR for the boards if possible as I think they would work with my current LoR controllers easier. My question is if bought the board from LoR and then got the following pixels and power supply from Amazon, would they work? I am new to RGB and I am confused about it all. I’m not sure what power supplies work with boards. I was thinking about getting the Pixie4 or Pixie8 board from LoR to start with just to try it all out and try to get a better understanding of it all. Thanks for any input that you might have. And if I’m completely wrong or missing something, please let me know. 

RGB: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4UKG2W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_gJK1zbWFS014N

Power Supply:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HJA3OUG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_6KK1zbSK3E7H3

If you want to go the 5V route, you will also need a small (wall wort) 12V aux supply to power the Pixie.

Have you considered that 5V systems need to be kept close to the strings (due to voltage drop)? That you will need power injection for additional strings on the same output.

Have you figured out your enclosure? You need to protect both from the elements and still keep it cool.

I really don’t know anything about RGB or where to start. So I’m guessing the 12v would be better than 5v. That will give me something to shoot for then. I haven’t thought about enclosures yet. 

Im not looking for somebody to tell me everything. I don’t want to be the guy that everybody does everything for. Haha. But I have looked several times in the past year or so and I just can’t get my head around the whole RGB thing cause there is so much stuff. So if you have any suggestions to start with that would be great. I have thought about getting the Pixel Tree from LoR but not really wanting to spend $600 just to test out RGB. 

Thanks

The first thing you should do is to design you layout ,that will determine what type of controllers will best suit your layout . sometimes a few smaller controllers spread out across your layout is better than one big one .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis Laff said:

The first thing you should do is to design you layout ,that will determine what type of controllers will best suit your layout . sometimes a few smaller controllers spread out across your layout is better than one big one .

:ditto:  I am finding this out the hard way.  :( and I planned on using small controllers.  too big of an area

The Pixie4 ran 100 @ 12V pix just fine on the bench.  Then I made them into 3 @ 25px VU stripes  wired end to end ~2.5M of cable between stripes. The last string of 25 is erratic (25 pix left over for another channel)

I am thinking of just a basic pixel tree (similar to the LoR pixel tree). Maybe like 25 pixels on each vertical strip with either 8 or 16 strips (maybe a 50 pixel string running up then down). Probably wouldn’t be anymore than 4-6 for wide at the bottom and probably 6-7ft y’all. I’m not opposed to using 2 4-channel versus 1 8 channel (I know they are necessarily channels like standard LoR comtrollers). 

Edited by wicket82

Read, Read, Read.   There is a wealth of information on these forums.  At the beginning it will all be mumbo jumbo but it starts to come together after awhile.  There are also alot of people that post videos on YouTube and Vimeo that can give you a visual idea of what people are discussing.

Per your original questions.  Yes, you can purchase your boards from LOR and other components from other vendors... All are available from LOR as well if you are just wanting to test.http://store.lightorama.com/smrgpibuandr.html

Per TheDucks comments above, the Pixie 4 will run on 5 volts, however it won't run any LOR accessories like an ELL. They require 9 volts.   For less hassle and learning, I would suggest you stick with 12 volts.

3 hours ago, wicket82 said:

I am thinking of just a basic pixel tree (similar to the LoR pixel tree). Maybe like 25 pixels on each vertical strip with either 8 or 16 strips (maybe a 50 pixel string running up then down). Probably wouldn’t be anymore than 4-6 for wide at the bottom and probably 6-7ft y’all. I’m not opposed to using 2 4-channel versus 1 8 channel (I know they are necessarily channels like standard LoR comtrollers). 

If you are uncertain about all of the rgb stuff If I were you I would purchase a pixie4 and get a string of 2811 pixels and play around with it.  Purchase a power supply that matches the voltage of the pixels (12v or 5v). The pixels you referenced were ip66 rated. I would use only pixels that are ip68 rated. They are waterproof and will stand up to snow and rain. As explained above read and read more. Watch all of the videos you can. 2 years ago I switched completely over to rgb. I no longer have any traditional lights. I watched and read all that I could. After I ordered what I needed I hooked it all up and it all worked with no problems. To me it was not hard switching over to rgb but I literally spent around 3 months researching rgb and taking in as much as I could. 

Whatever you decide good luck. Ask questions and read the forums.

Here is a post I replied to years ago.  Older information but still relevant.  

After a season of RGB in the yard I jumped to pixels.  It was not that big a leap.  

But...take a peek at this post and maybe it will answer some of your questions.  

Sax

• The topic was locked