Light-O-Rama Forums

First Time Setting Up A Dual House Display.

GabrielG.

Hello everyone, 

This year will be my first time setting up a LOR show. I have the Light-O-Rama demo installed on my computer. I will be purchasing (2) 16 channel controllers along with the software and hardware. I told my front neighbor (who lives about 250 feet away from my house) that this year I was going to do a light show. He was interested in what I was wanting to do. I showed him some videos of what Light-O-Rama can do and he was immediately amazed. Then he said, "Lets do this!" He wants a 16 channel controller. So now we are wanting to have a single show on 2 houses! with 48 channels. I did do some research and I found what I would need to hook it all up. (Easy Light Linker Pair and CAT 5). But, my question is how would I even begin to sequence 2 Houses. How can I visualize this and put lights on it in the sequence editor? Would I just stitch a pic of his house and my house together and add that picture into the sequence editor and just make a 48 channel show? I am not familiar with LOR Visualizer either. Also how would I begin to setup a sequence in the sequence editor? Do I just start a sequence and add songs and load a pic of the houses? Do I have to make like a channel configuration for my channels then start making sequences? 

Any help is really APPRECIATED!

THANKS!

I would start by getting all the controls connected, working and set up in the sequence editor as channels 1-48. Then at the very least, group channels 1-32 as your house and 33-48 as your neighbors. Two tracks would probably be better if you have the software level that will allow additional tracks. This will allow you to look at only the house you're working on and avoid possible confusion. 

Your approach to actual sequencing depends on how you want the show to look. Two independent shows running the same song? Will the shows visually "interact" with each other?

Just starting out, you may want to consider program each house separately (within the same sequence) at first to see how it goes for you. You can always build on it later if you have time. In my opinion, one or two well thought out and executed sequences is far better than ten just OK sequences.

Post your progress/results and how you went about it. I can see multiple house in my future too. Lol

BTW, welcome! You're gonna love it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I currently run 34 houses...each house has its own channels assigned and controllers.  We use ELL's to transmit and receive the data signal to each each.  We use a visualizer and each house is represented.  Each house runs at least: $ colors on upper and lower house eves and 6 4-color mini trees in the front yard.  This makes sequencing easier.  I dunno how far you are wanting to go with this, but if you plan to expand to more houses, make sure you have a game plan.  It makes things easier when you have a standard for each house.  Feel free to reach out to me if you need any more help.  Good luck!

I did two homes last year and again will be doing the same this year. However, my house is only 30 feet distance to the next one. I have ELL's but for some unknown reason, the last couple of years that I tried to use them, I got lots of interference so I ended up having to run a cable. In my case, I use a single picture of both homes, used the visualizer to create all channels for each home and so on. It works nicely. Now this is all on the S4 software. I have the S5 software but haven't had the time to get into it yet so this season, I might end up running the S4 again. Will see! As "ericm" mentioned, 250 feet apart is a ways but hey, go for it! If possible, fill in the space between with props that you can light up.

On 10/1/2017 at 3:59 PM, GabrielG. said:

Hello everyone, 

This year will be my first time setting up a LOR show. I have the Light-O-Rama demo installed on my computer. I will be purchasing (2) 16 channel controllers along with the software and hardware. I told my front neighbor (who lives about 250 feet away from my house) that this year I was going to do a light show. He was interested in what I was wanting to do. I showed him some videos of what Light-O-Rama can do and he was immediately amazed. Then he said, "Lets do this!" He wants a 16 channel controller. So now we are wanting to have a single show on 2 houses! with 48 channels. I did do some research and I found what I would need to hook it all up. (Easy Light Linker Pair and CAT 5). But, my question is how would I even begin to sequence 2 Houses. How can I visualize this and put lights on it in the sequence editor? Would I just stitch a pic of his house and my house together and add that picture into the sequence editor and just make a 48 channel show? I am not familiar with LOR Visualizer either. Also how would I begin to setup a sequence in the sequence editor? Do I just start a sequence and add songs and load a pic of the houses? Do I have to make like a channel configuration for my channels then start making sequences? 

Any help is really APPRECIATED!

THANKS!

I am running a 2 house show this year as well. I will be using the easy light linkers. On the visualizer I just drew the 2 house using light strings. You do not have to be a great artist as you know what it will do once you see videos online of how to use the visualizer. Your game plan should start in your head by figuring out what will go where on both houses then visualize it in your head what will do what and when. For example I learned from most guys on here to watch tutorials. A week worth of tutorials and I figured out most of it enough to get started on a layout and a design. The visualizer is the part where you will load your image and design your layout for both houses. Last year I did it the hard way drawing in the animation of the sequence editor. Big mistake on my part drawing everything by hand. Trust me when I say the visualizer is your easiest way to get to where you want to be. There you will design everything on the screen and save it then export the channel configuration  (your layout and channels that tell everything what to do) and then load the channel configuration into the sequence editor. 

An idea would be to take 2 photos of the houses and combine them side by side into one photo in any photo edit software.  This will make it much easier on you to see it on the display of your cpu.

As far as setting up a sequence you will definitely need to watch the tutorials for that. Alot of great videos out there to help you through your first year. I learn more everyday I use this as this is only my second year but the best advice I can give is tutorials, tutorials, tutorials Once you see others doing it first hand it will be much easier to understand what to do on the software and what will work easier. 

I found Mike Pursers videos to be a great help. Do not hesitate to watch others videos as well. Everyones videos are different and you learn different things from different videos

Here is a link to mikes videos  Also, John storms has some good videos as well. If anyone else can provide some good links I'm sure it will give him lots of insight into the addiction :)

On 10/18/2017 at 9:21 AM, HVACR said:

Have you tried different channels?

Yes, Tried lots of different channels and still had the same issue. Finally gave up and ran RS485 cables. Yes, updated firmware as needed for each considering I own 6 of the ELL's

• The topic was locked