Light-O-Rama Forums

Starting to Set Up This Year's Display

jfuller8400

On 10/17/2017 at 1:13 PM, k6ccc said:

Yes.  A dedicated 20A circuit is good for about 1900 watts continuous load.

On 10/17/2017 at 9:27 PM, Mega Arch said:

Agree with Jim - yes - but I'd still request all the recepts to be their own GFCI recepts and not daisy chained back to one.

22 hours ago, ericm said:

I agree with what the others said about 1 receptacle per circuit as long as you have have incandescent lights.  once you switch to all led a lot less of an issue.  I run all LED's now and have 4-6 controllers per circuit, but those controllers are each pulling less then 1 amp per controller.  I have 25 controllers and my whole show pulls about 33 amps.  However, if your going to have him there doing the work take the extra circuits... you will need them later. 

Thanks all for the advice.  Out of the estimated 750 total watts that will be distributed between 3 controllers, less than 100 watts will be incandescent.  So this year I think we'll be safe running all those on their own circuit, even if the outlets are daisy-chained.  It's already going to cost a lot to have that work done, so I'll probably wait until I have more spare $ next yr to have additional circuits & outlets installed.  I know I'll need those if I ever want to add pixels & ribbons to our light show.

Got the GECE lights up on the eves yesterday morning.  In daylight I can't really see if those lights are on, so could not test them until it got dark.  I  Had a few other LOR people over after the SoCal get together and ran my Halloween "show".  Found that one of the lights had come off the clip that holds it, and there was a minor config error in the SanDevices controller that resulted in the last light on two of the 10 strings was mirroring the first light on those strings.  Found that when I had re-arranged the outputs on the E682 a few day before in prep for adding five more strings of GECE lights on the roof,  I had set the number of channels on those two strings to 24 instead of 25 pixels.  Reset the config and power cycled the controller and lights (a requirement of the lights, not the E682), and tested again and it worked.  Today I'll put the one light back onto it's clip.

Gonna try to do some work on the new strings for the roofline peak, but it's supposed to be hot today and tomorrow, so I'm not sure how much I'll get done.

National Weather Service forecast for today:

Sunny, with a high near 93. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 15 mph.

National Weather Service forecast for Monday:

Sunny and hot, with a high near 103. Breezy, with a northeast wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Maybe I'll sit inside and get my MIIP configuration completed instead...

21 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Maybe I'll sit inside and get my MIIP configuration completed instead...

PM me if I can be of any help.

18 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

PM me if I can be of any help.

Thanks.  I did some testing with MIIP earlier this year on my landscape lighting, so I should be able to remember enough to get it running.  However if I run into trouble, I will keep you in mind...

My matrix is up.  I'm working on the house outline,  windows and doors. Dang it's uncomfortably hot.  No wind is making it feel worse than it actually is.  Got my hat on with a cooling towel around my head that is somewhat helping from me completely giving up until tonight.... the show must go on!!!

I finally had a perfect Sunday afternoon to work on getting the lights up (it's rained ever weekend for the past 4 weeks).  Most everything is out that I can do before Halloween (I don't want kids tripping on things in the yard or provide tempting targets for vandals).  Strange to hear people having issues with heat as they are talking we could have snow by next weekend. 

If it's not one thing its another. 

Forecast was 103 for today and I was on the roof working on the new roofline peak lights this morning.  Had to quit when the roof was so hot that even with three layers of towel under me, my legs were burning while laying on the roof.  As if 103 was not hot enough, a little while ago my weather station showed 106!

• The topic was locked