Light-O-Rama Forums

PC goes VB

iresq

Hey Jeff,

I owe you a monstrous apology for totally butchering your last name:shock:

While I was proof reading my post on your reply I noticed the misspell and about spit the milk out that I was drinking onto the keyboard.

I guess that shows what kind of a door knob I can be. Your name and # are plastered on my address books and a few note pads too (spelt correctly I might add) and I still managed to not pay attention. I'm used to misspelling with Pelphrey but I swore I wouldn't do it to any one else's last name.

I actually just wanted to see if you would call me on it, ya thats it.

Sorry about that,

Mark

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dale W

• Robin

• iresq

• JBullard

In the brewing community we have a thing called The Brewer's Code. This place seems to have it too.

There 10+ rules to the code, they really all boil down to the same thing:

Don't be a dick.

Cheers!
Charlie

You know push you can be a so called "dick" once in a while. We are all human. It is the "me me me me me" buys that just tick me off. All the time I would see someone ask a question and there would be a smart butt remark. Then there are the people who post in the light thread about LOR or music or wireframes. Then if you tell them wrong place you have half a dozen nuts flame on you.

Honestly, at 51 I am all about taking orders from kids.

So just as long as I can continue to keep up with LOR I honestly do not need to brag on PC and will just keep my ideas to myself and the 5,000 people who came to the house last year.

So if I sound bitter then so be it. Just tired of hearing stuff from certain people in the Lonestar State and a few in FL and IL.

But I sure do like Dan and what he does for everyone.

Guest wbottomley

Jeff Millard wrote:

Robin wrote:
But I sure do like Dan and what he does for everyone.

Here! Here! I second that motion for sure. A great forum host too! He even lets us blow a little steam off every now and then without getting mad at us.

Jeff

All in favor... raise your right hand. :D

Hello,

I would like to chime in. I love this place, too. Dan and company have a great product (which I don't have enough), they have terrific service, and they are wonderful people.

Most of you in this thread I have know through PC for a couple of years. You are all top notch decorators and good people. The three that are no longer on PC: Robin, Jeff, and William are missed by me and many more. I miss you creative ideas and great wit.

I love PC and all the wonderful people still there. I have been to two minis and I am having a another at my house. The really good people go to the Minis. I have met Robin at Danielle's and many other fantastic people. PC is what you make it. Is there crap other there, sure. I choose not to step in it, smell it or taste it. :D I step over it or go around it to enjoy all the wonderful things and people at PC.

I really do miss you all and hope to meet you or revisit with you someday soon.

Michael Beason

Being an animation newbie, I haven't been around these forums very long at all. (Despite being a serious decorator for many years, I guess I never took the time to look prior to the love of my life sending me a link to LOR last December with the fateful comment: "Maybe we should do this...")

But I can say, from an "outsider" perspective, there's a world of difference between the "aura" here as compared with the aura at PC. I shamelessly admit to learning and borrowing as many new ideas as I can from people at both places, but I come here automatically it seems, and I have to remind myself to check PC from time to time.

I agree wholeheartedly that Dan does a great job! And so do you "seasoned veterans" that still remember why we do this. Your contributions are invaluable! Don't let the jerks out there get to you.

Does anyone know of anything like a "mini" in Minnesota?

George

George Simmons wrote:

Being an animation newbie, I haven't been around these forums very long at all. (Despite being a serious decorator for many years, I guess I never took the time to look prior to the love of my life sending me a link to LOR last December with the fateful comment: "Maybe we should do this...")

But I can say, from an "outsider" perspective, there's a world of difference between the "aura" here as compared with the aura at PC. I shamelessly admit to learning and borrowing as many new ideas as I can from people at both places, but I come here automatically it seems, and I have to remind myself to check PC from time to time.

I agree wholeheartedly that Dan does a great job! And so do you "seasoned veterans" that still remember why we do this. Your contributions are invaluable! Don't let the jerks out there get to you.

Does anyone know of anything like a "mini" in Minnesota?

George

Yes, let me find the thread on PC and link it here.

Michael Beason

Thanks guys for the info on the Minnesota mini even though it was off-topic.

BTW, my right hand was raised also.

George

Let me give you guys a couple of examples. Six years ago when I first joined PC if you even mentioned sharing a song (music) you had your butt chewed out by Chuck, Don, Tim, Jeff and a host of others. Now no one says a word for file sharing.

If someone asked you for a sequence the proper reply was you have to do it yourself. Now if you say that they are all over you. Yet we have members who watermark their pictures because other members use them on their websites. Nothing was ever done to them. We have members who are so paranoid about their mucis that the put beeps in their songs so others will not rip them.

Ask yourself this question. Why did Marty not submit a video for the contest? Why did he not post a video on PC? Well it is because of all the crap people gave him last year. No one spoke out against the ones jumping on him either. Or the guy who asked Marty for suggestions for a window display at college and when he posted it Marty was floored that it was an exact copy. Well Marty is a nice guy and did not say anything but is alias sure did and I was right there with him. I got booted.

There are other examples. Like a member who this year claims to be the first one to introduce video into his display. We all know that Mike Z and Ken Good did it for two years. Yet not a single person has spoken up. This guy actually was on all the local news stations claiming this.

The point is that six years ago we police ourselves. There was no need for a moderator as we all were moderators. Now if you say one thing that is now "great, wow, cool, neat, etc." you are one negative SOB and the thread is locked and you are placed in time out. Now I ask you is that better? No one fought six years ago. Except the guy that ripped members off on items he sold and then it still took three years to get him removed.

There is another thing that I think has hurt PC and that is the Carsonites. These are the people who think Wizards of Winter is the best thing in the world and do not even know it is Wizards IN Winter. The ones who had visions of being in a Bud Lite commercial. Riding on the beer wagon with lights blinking on the dalmation. What they failed to realize is that a lot of us old timers who saw that the year before did not think it was any big deal. We knew other's were quite frankly better. Also, none of us were too keen on the Peace Sign and not a single thing about Christmas. That is why it was so popular. Christ was no where to be found. Take a look at the Christmas shows on cable about lights. Look at how many Nativity scenes are shown or how many songs that speak of the birth of Christ.

The lesson there is if you want to be on TV make sure you do not mention Christmas.
So now you have some examples. Go look at how many really new ideas there are being produced. Last year there was ONE and that is leaping arches which now is getting old.

That was an awesome post Robin!

The ones that get me are the "vote for my display" posts. I will vote for your display if it is the best in the competition, and if you are in my area. I do not think I should vote for some college kid in Montana when I am in Mississippi.

One thread I remember LMAO was where someone asked if he could paint a wireframe a different color then white. (Why did he even think he had to ask permission?)

He was jumped on big time, with replies like CDB or Lori's ship their frames with white paint, so that was the ONLY way a wireframe could be painted!

Very, very few of my frames I build are painted white, most of them are painted to match the color of the bulbs that are in that section of the frame. More work for me, sure, but they also, IMO, look great in the daytime also.

I don't care what the 'experts' say, it's my display, and if it looks good to me, and is safe ten that's the way I'll decorate!

I also appreciate DAN, his staff, his product, and his forum.

Yeah I use to scream on the vote for me thing.

John,
I paint all mine white gloss as it is easier to slip clips on. Then if I do not change the bulbs I paint the frames with the lights.

The real reason for the white is reflective, cheap and lots of it.

Late this fall I am going to have one of the funniest YouTube videos you will see concerning Christmas lights.