Light-O-Rama Forums

Change Music Format from WMA to WAV

Ralph A

Hello,

Because I failed to understand correctly the differences between Windows Media Audio (WMA) and WAV, I secequenced my first two songs in Windows Media Audio. Everything seems to work ok but I do not trust using them based on what I've read. I still have time and want to redo the sequence with WAV format.

Question! If I simply replace the music file in the LOR audio folder I know that will not work, the timing will be off. Right? How can I copy all the sequenced events and paste them onto the new sequence and have it come out right on time? Do I have to do it a channel at a time or is there a better way? I just hope I will not have to start all over. I'm sure there must be a way. These were my first two songs and my third is in the correct format.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Ralph

My advise...convert a song. Open an existing sequence. Import the new song. It should line up or might require a slight shift. If it works, you can save as the new sequence with the new audio source with a different name. If it doesn't work then don't save it.

Otherwise you will have to cut and paste each channel.

Ok, Iresq. I'll try "Lining the sequence up" with the new format. I'll let you know how that works! Thanks!!

Hi Ralph,

I've done this before, and it may not be as difficult for you as it sounds....These instructions are for the LOR 2 software.

As others have mentioned, I would first convert the WMA song to WAV format and save it. You can do this with various software packages. I use Sound Forge Studio.

Once you have the WAV file, I would then substitute it in your LOR file by using the Edit pulldown menu, then click Media File, then choose the file.

Then play the LOR file with the new music and pay attention to the animation to see if it is synchronized. It may very well line up at that point and all you'd need to do is save the LOR file to be done.

But if by some chance it is off a bit, here's how to fix it. We'll be performing these actions on the first column (the first cell of all the tracks). First, you click on the left-hand cell of Track 1, then hold the Shift key down and press Page Down untill you get to the bottom of the first column and it is all selected or outlined.

Once selected, then pull down the edit menu and select Skew Track. In that pop-up window, you'll have a choice to skew to the left (earlier) or to the right (Later). It only affects your LOR programming and not the music. So this technique will let you skew your LOR commands by as much as you need to so that the music lines up with your programming. It would probably be helpful to show the waveform of the song as you try to do this. That will let you visualize your work a little bit easier.

That should fix it all up for you....

I thought of another tip that may help you as you start to program your LOR for the first year...I think this idea originally came from Greg Zimmerman on the PC board, but this tip will help you with organizing your LOR files...Here's how I name my files in the Sequences directory:

A 035 Hours FM.LMS
A 045 Elf Solar Power Website.LMS
M 098 Brian Setzer Blue Christmas.LMS

The "A's" in the file name indicate an Announcement, the digits indicate the number of seconds, and the other words remind me what is said in the announcements.

The "M's" indicate a Music file and the name of the song. I have some other files that start with an "S" for Static song (no animation). Not too many of those....

At any rate, this method will help you keep your song files organized and they'll alphabetize themselves so you can keep your announcements separate from your animated songs, etc. It helps me keep my files organized......

I hope this information is helpful for you....

Randy

Cool!! Thanks Randy! I will be working on my sequencing this weekend and let you know how it works out.

Thanks for all your help!

Two schools of thought, yes and no. As long as the mp3s are CBR and not VBR (constant bit rate vs variable bit rate) you should have no problem. I use mp3's with no problems.

Others swear by wave and you can't really go wrong with wave.

What is a good program to use to convert to wav? I have most my music on itunes and some on windows media player.

redsea300 wrote:

What is a good program to use to convert to wav? I have most my music on itunes and some on windows media player.

I think most of us use Audacity, mainly because it is free and has an abundance of features.

redsea300 wrote:

To get from Itunes, there are several programs out there that say they can do it, but the only one that I found that works easily is Tunebite (it is not freeware but worth the $$ you will spend).

If you do not want to use Tunebite, then you have to burn your Itunes to CD (if it will let you do so), then convert the CD to wav using something like audacity.

Tunebite allows you to convert an Itunes song directly to wav format without having to burn a CD or reedit it using audacity.

I just used AllMusicConverter to convert my old IPod music to WAV. No problems with the program or the sound quality. It isn't free, but you can try it free to see if you have any problems. It will only do the first 30 seconds conversion, though.

• 1 month later...

The newer version of iTunes will not let you make a CD and then rip the CD. It is getting very difficult to use iTunes.

• 6 months later...

Randy wrote:

I thought of another tip that may help you as you start to program your LOR for the first year...I think this idea originally came from Greg Zimmerman on the PC board, but this tip will help you with organizing your LOR files...Here's how I name my files in the Sequences directory:

A 035 Hours FM.LMS
A 045 Elf Solar Power Website.LMS
M 098 Brian Setzer Blue Christmas.LMS

The "A's" in the file name indicate an Announcement, the digits indicate the number of seconds, and the other words remind me what is said in the announcements.

The "M's" indicate a Music file and the name of the song. I have some other files that start with an "S" for Static song (no animation). Not too many of those....

At any rate, this method will help you keep your song files organized and they'll alphabetize themselves so you can keep your announcements separate from your animated songs, etc. It helps me keep my files organized......

I hope this information is helpful for you....

Randy
That was a great tip! I'll do that from now on and I see it saving me from lots of headaches in the future.

My question about the mp3's is... I think I read somewhere that if you open an mp3 in Audicity then export it as an mp3 then that should fix any variations in the song. Is that correct? That is actually what I came looking for but I couldn't remember where I saw that.

Ralph A wrote:

Because I failed to understand correctly the differences between Windows Media Audio (WMA) and WAV, I secequenced my first two songs in Windows Media Audio. Everything seems to work ok but I do not trust using them based on what I've read. I still have time and want to redo the sequence with WAV format.

What is wrong with a WMA file? I have never had any problem with them.

Still curious what is wrong with the WMA files and why to convert them to WAV files? I haven't had any problem with them last year or this year.

• 6 months later...

I love my IPod but it can be difficult especially in this case. So I have to buy a 40$ program to convert my songs I want? Is it a one time fee, For tunebite, or do you have to pay for upgrades?

Download Audacity; it will do the conversion from .wma to .wav for you, and it's currently free. It will also do .mp3 to .wav conversions - in the File menu, you would export the sound file as a .wav