Light-O-Rama Forums

Ive just about had it with LOR / DMX

Laser Voodoo

basis21B is correct - the iDMX will handle all 512 channels of a DMX universe just fine.  However, if you want to use LOR intelligent commands (which are not part of the DMX spec), the iDMX1000 must emulate those.  For that emulation, you are limited to 128 channels at any one time doing those special commands.  You can still use all 512 channels, but only the fist 128 in use at any one time can use intelligent commands - the others must be on/off.  If you use more than 128, those commands are changed to pure on/off.

58 minutes ago, DevMike said:

basis21B is correct - the iDMX will handle all 512 channels of a DMX universe just fine.  However, if you want to use LOR intelligent commands (which are not part of the DMX spec), the iDMX1000 must emulate those.  For that emulation, you are limited to 128 channels at any one time doing those special commands.  You can still use all 512 channels, but only the fist 128 in use at any one time can use intelligent commands - the others must be on/off.  If you use more than 128, those commands are changed to pure on/off.

That is exactly what I meant.. but not exactly what I said.. Thank you both for clearing that up.  When I tried to run more than that at one time it went stupid.. I found out the hard way that I needed other ways to do what I needed to do for that job...

So what exactly is your configuration ?

Please tell us all the hardware you are using, and what version of LOR software and license level you have.

What type of dimmer are you using for the regular lights ? Is it a LOR controller ?

Since you are a Lighting professional, you might want to consider using  DMX E1.31 While the IDMX1000 is a good device to convert LOR protocol to DMX, it is not your only option. While I won't mention any specific products, there are other options to get a DMX control signal out of the LOR software. a E1.31 bridge can be used that can drive generic DMX fixtures, as well as LOR controllers. I run half of my show using the E1.31 DMX and the other half on LOR protocol.  While LOR software is not the same as a professional lighting software package (because it was designed for a totally different market) it works very well for a synchronized display that the average consumer would make.  Many of the assumptions you may be making based on your experiences with professional equipment may not apply with LOR.

I know we can help you get this working, but you need to give us the complete picture

2 hours ago, plasmadrive said:

That is exactly what I meant.. but not exactly what I said.. Thank you both for clearing that up.  When I tried to run more than that at one time it went stupid.. I found out the hard way that I needed other ways to do what I needed to do for that job...

It's all good.  The only reason I know that soooooo well is last year I told a customer the wrong thing, and we ended up eating a couple of iDMX100s + crow.  I swore up and down it was all working.  Ooops.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 1:11 PM, Laser Voodoo said:

Btw Neal Schon and i have hung out and had a few conversations about you. Ive seen your work . i like what you do. Keep it up. 

Hey lets be buddies . im on fb too as Brian Friend . 

That would be cool. FB is norm keinz or NormKeinz@gmail.com

Here is what I would have done

Change all LOR CTB to DMX universe 1 channels 1 to 16

Set snow machine channels as universe 1 channels 17 to whatever

Remove your LOR adapter from the com port in the network configuration window.

Add it again as universe 1 in the DMX tab.

Create a LOR to XLR adapter. I believe that it is blue to DMX +

Blue/white to DMX -

And green as ground

Plug that into your snow machines/snow machine DMX remotes.

Should work, and requires no extra hardware.

• Like 1