Light-O-Rama Forums

Help One controller not working

cumberland

Newbie,,,,  last year I ran three controllers all worked fine this year I set up controller 4 in line with the other 3, first three work new forth one doesn't .

I have tested and tested, all cables, tested each controller by itself, all work individual but when hooked up 1, 2, 3 , 4 only 1.2 3 work.  all have same

software  all have been numbered correctly,  Please give some testing ideas..

thanks

Cumberland

If unit four is new here are some things to check:

- Ensure you set the unit id to 4 correctly, verify in the HU.

- check the cable going from 3 to 4.

- check the rj45 connector in three, check for looseness and check the pins inside the connector.

- check your configuration.

thank you  checked all cable many times, and connector pins,  how do I check configuration ?

cumberland

retired Army also

Dumb question...Start at the basics, on #4 is the little green power light on the board  steady on or blinking or on at all when fully connected at the prop where it's mounted? 

Edited by Need more lights

If you haven't solved the problem...here are a few suggestions:  Like the previous posts stated, make sure all controllers are configured as they should be (#1, #2, #3, #4).  Ensure all controllers are daisy chained together (4 goes to 3, 3 goes to 2, 2 goes to 1, etc.)  Also check your sequencing to ensure all your lights go to the proper controllers.  Test the controller you have an issue with to ensure it is properly configured AND that it works.  That's a key element.  If it does not work or does not recognize your lights then you may have a loose connection that will need to be repaired. LIke the previous post stated, you need to ensure the new controller is configured as #4.  There are great videos posted on the LOR website and John Storms' website (https://sites.google.com/site/listentoourlights//home) for some easy to understand tutorials on sequencing lights.  Hope you get it fixed.

not much time to troubleshoot today, here is where I stopped last night.

chained 1,2,3,4 controllers together , 123 controllers work fine play seq. number 4 green light blinks,

run test , only see 1 2 3.  connect number 4 stand alone . works fine play seqs. and green light test shows # 4

all are G3 pc16 controllers with 1.06 firmware.

changed cat 5 between 3-4 many diff times.

QUESTION: only difference from last year is new laptop with Windows 10   windows 7 last year.

not sure what to check next, will check rj45 pins again in morning light.

thanks

Dan

The fact the green LED in #4 blinks when you try to chain them together typically indicates the network is not complete between #3 and #4.

What software level do you have?

Have you tested both ports in #3 to ensure they are both functioning properly?

What happens if you swap the Cat-5 connections within #3?  Move the cable coming from #2 to the socket that currently has the cable going to #4 and the cable that currently goes to #4 to the socket that contained the cable coming from #2.  

• Like 1

If the green light is blinking, it's not talking to the other controllers... change the config of your daisy chain, say, 1 to 2 2 to 4 skip over whatever controller is inline before #4 and try swapping the jacks. They should have a steady on green status light. I've got one with a junk ethernet jack. It now is the last one in-line.

If you don't have enough cable to reach the controller, go to any hardware store and pick up one of these, so you can bypass and test easily.... short money and not a bad little thing to have in your junk drawer anyway. https://www.lowes.com/pd/RCA-White-RJ45-Coupler/3550052

Edited by Need more lights

12 hours ago, Need more lights said:

If you don't have enough cable to reach the controller, go to any hardware store and pick up one of these, so you can bypass and test easily.... short money and not a bad little thing to have in your junk drawer anyway. https://www.lowes.com/pd/RCA-White-RJ45-Coupler/3550052

yes, have them, will test some more when snow storm passes, not sure if it is output of three or input of four,  don't understand why three four work individual and don't when chain together ,  would a reset of three four help ?

thanks

dan

I'm willing to bet it's a bad jack on #3 ...swap the input on #3 and see if it still talks to #2 if it doesn't, there's the problem...  if it does, try to swap the jacks on #4... if still nothing on #4 it's the cat5 cable going from #3 to #4...Hope you get it solved...Mine had me tearing my hair out...I reassigned the unit ID on mine to be the last inline and swapped the controllers,  so there is a work around.  

8 minutes ago, Need more lights said:

I'm willing to bet it's a bad jack on #3 ...swap the input on #3 and see if it still talks to #2 if it doesn't, there's the problem...  if it does, try to swap the jacks on #4... if still nothing on #4 it's the cat5 cable going from #3 to #4...Hope you get it solved...Mine had me tearing my hair out...I reassigned the unit ID on mine to be the last inline and swapped the controllers,  so there is a work around.  

thanks  will check when stops snowing/raining

Just now, cumberland said:

thanks  will check when stops snowing/raining

Yuk...we have just had cold rain so far this year..it's about 36 degrees right now, overcast and windy. Nothing like wet snow dripping down the back of your neck while your trying to test something. ugg 

• Like 1

THANK YOU all,  one bad rj45 on 3 and one bad rj45 on 4 , I was using both,  stuck a folded piece of cardboard between jacks and working , will fix after Christmas

hope I can help someone someday like Y'all did  

• Like 1