Light-O-Rama Forums

How should I set my house up?

Bryan

I have no idea where to start. I am going to buy a 16 channel's and depending on my funds my go 32. How would you setup my house with 16 channels? I have plenty of lights (LEDs) I was thinking doing the windows and doors in clear and the shurbs in solid colors or clear. I have several (8) small Christmas trees that would go in the yard. Should I leave the roof alone? I could out line the roof line.

How can I get the best bang with 16 or 32 channels? and yes I have been buying extension cords left and right mainly 100 footers and the ramsey is on its way.

Attached is a couple of pictures of my house from curb side.

100_0859.jpg

100_0858.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Wow, what a canvas!

Budget is your only obstacle. Your roof just screams to be outlined in several colors, so you could color shift. Your yard is large enough to comfortably house a mega tree, arches and a fan.

You could build some Christmas posts and swag lights between them for your sidewalk.

I am sure you will get some nice suggestions.

Look around here and the PC forums for many ideas.

iresq is right, you have a beautiful house to work on. Wrap the columns..four groups of 3 colors each..connect both columns in parallel. That eats up 12 channels. four big snowflakes on the roof take care of the last four. You can always cut down groups and/or colors to save channels. Some small mega-trees along the sidewalk.

If you haven't yet, take a look at the videos LOR has on their web site. They demo 16 and 32 channel systems.
http://store.lightorama.com/sequences.html

HTH

First thing that comes to mind is snowflakes on the roof. Along with the border around everything, roof walls windows doors...... The a set ao chasing minitrees or arches....

I wanted to set up a nice animated display my first year. I have been doing big static displays for several years. When I had this house built 3 years ago I had the builder put extra outlets on the outside. All seperated and all with ground faults on 12 gauge wire with a timer to control everything next to the breaker box just for Christmas lights and all this before I even knew aboutf LOR.

I like the suggestions so far and was thinking about the snowflakes or stars on the roof. I am just trying to plan everything out and ask everyone that has done this before as to what I should do with less than 32 channels. I would love to have multi color changes in the future but I know that takes many channels.

I have been hooked on the animated part since Christmas 07 when I was searching around the net and found some displays.

Any more help would be great so I can start making my list . I did clean out the local HD and Wal Mart after christmas for lights and some small trees. So I am set with that stuff.

I was thinking along the lines of 1 channel for every window(4) and every door (3) including the garage doors. Then split the roof line into 2 channels and 4 channels would go to 8 small trees in a line in the front yard. 1 channel to the plants left of the front door 1 channel to the plants right of the front door Then one channel to the big plant in the center of the flower bed right of the front door. If I go with 32 channels I would double everything with another color and maybe pick up some extra stuff on the roof. Am I on the right track here?

Thanks

Bryan,

One thing to keep in mind on 16 or 32 channels is not only what or how to do it, but consider what lighting you are using also. If you use a lot of incandescent floods, C9s, and C7s you will use amps fast. You may only need 16 channels for what you want to animate, but may need the extra controller/channels to distribute the load. Keep this in mind http://lightorama.com/Documents/AC_ControllerMatrix.pdf for the controller(s) you are planning to use as you make your plans.

You might check out Mike Ziemkowski's website - www.lightsondisplay.com. For his 2003 show, I think he used 32 channels. It's amazing what he was able to do with so little. I always point people to MikeZ, 'cause he's a perfect example of someone that colorshifts. He IS the master of colorshifting.

In '03, I think he was 4 color. It was '05, maybe, before he went to 5 color (red,green,blue,gold,clear). I've done this kinda thing, and believe it, it's not easy. But it looks great.

Bryan,

You have a beautiful house and yard! You will have fun decorating them. I would put several channels on the roof. I have only 16 channels controlling about 7,000 lights. I have another 36,000 static. I made stripes going down light piano keys. Your roof would look great animated and you would get more bang for the buck. I had 5 channels for my roof.

You might want a mega tree or yard grid. What i suggest is go to showing off and see what you like. Toot your horn has some great video. The LOR website has wonderful customer videos.

I will post a thread about 16 ch. and members videos and how they set them up.

Bryan,

Here is the thread from Planet Christmas

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum25/6166.html

You will need to be a member to view the videos.

BTW, there will be a gathering at my house on June 7th. Right now about 15-20 people are planning on coming. We would like for you to join us.

If you or any one else is interested let me know.

Michael Beason

Like Michael B, I think the roof can be a big part of your show. I'd be temped to devote several channels to it.

Also, I'd be sure I could turn everything off. When we started last year some of our lights were on during the show and we felt that distracted from the show. So when we got more channels, the first thing we did was make sure we could turn everything off. Then again, we like rock concerts. And, every good rock show I've ever seen starts in total darkness and builds to a peak. Not everybody goes that route.

Have fun.

Thanks everyone. Keep the ideas coming. I have a good idea what I am going to do but love to have input from anyone that's been doing animated for a few years. I have been doing large static displays for several years and Ithink I am going to scale it back this year so I can animate everything with the least amount of channels (maybe 32) this year and grown every year till I am back to where I was pre-animated. I am going to buy the LOR1602W Show Director for sure as I dont want to tie up my puter.

Thanks everyone and please keep the ideas coming.

I actually tried my show alone with out the 36,000 static lights to go with the 7,000 animated lights. I liked it a lot more with the static lights on as well.

This is just my preference. You might prefer it all dark, then animated. Anyway you choose have fun.

Michael Beason