Light-O-Rama Forums

Horizontal MegArch is up.

ItsMeBobO

10 feet off the ground from end to end of the house.   Planned to be 100 feet but the CCB strings were longer than I expected. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool Bob.  Now you need to explain how it's built.  I figure out at least part of it from the video, but more detail would be appreciated.

13 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Very cool Bob.  Now you need to explain how it's built.  I figure out at least part of it from the video, but more detail would be appreciated.

12 pieces of PVC pipe coupled together.     2 sets of CCBs which is 200 pixels.     First I made 4 sections each 30 ft, glued and attached the lights.   I thought the strings were 25 feet but turned out closer to 28 feet.   I trimmed a few feet off the ends for the middle two sections to match the extent of the lights.  For the ends which attach to the house I left the unlighted part about 2 feet long to slide into a block of wood to firmly hold to the house.   There are three joints which are not glued.  When disassembled they will fit in my storage shed.   My house has trees in the corners and middle so I was able to string wire all around to hold it up.   I used a laser to get the height.   What I did was put the laser leveler on a ladder and it shown a red line on the house and trees. It was lower than I wanted so I measured up to the spot.  I marked the trees where the red line was and attached the wires up from there the same distance I measured on the house.   I bought really strong aircraft cable and all the parts to tighten including links, thimbles, and turnbuckles.   Mostly the arch is hanging from support wire with cable ties. In just a few spots I had to adjust the height using rigid wire which normally is used for drop ceilings. Its very strong but also hand bends and holds its shape. 

That's a nice fish-eye photo right there.

Ditto on wanting to see it in action (video).

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 2

You can see about a third of the elevated whole house arch in this video at the top.

Edited by ItsMeBobO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dougd said:

Very good Bob, my favorite so far. How many pixels on those vertical poles? Are those CCR's?

Thanks Yes   8 CCR poles on rigid conduit  5 meters high plus around 2 feet off the ground.     4 CCRches and 4 CCR matrix in the windows.

I love the idea of doing a CCR matrix on the windows - I had thought about doing a Santa projector in our bay window in the future, but now I'm envisioning a matrix across all three windows....