Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel Configuration

KevinHittle

Good morning everyone!

I am trying to change a channel configuration (RGB nightmare)...and was wondering if it was ok to export and use a text or xml editor to change universes and channels.  I tested it and it works, I just wanted to make sure it would not mess anything up.  Obviously, typos would/could mess things up...but I mean theoretically.  Clicking and changing universes and the circuit ID (especially circuit id) in the GUI is clunky.

Thanks in advance!

Kev

yes you can.  I have done this many times.   But usually to change things which the batch tools dont do.   Under tools /Channel config/   there are is change controller button.  Does that help? 

Like Bob, I have made changes by manually editing the xml files many times.  In some cases, a very slight error can make the file un-readable to the LOR software.  My advise is to make small changes, save with a new file name, and open with the LOR software.  Make sure it opens and that the change you intended is really what changed.  Then repeat the process with the next change.  When (not if) you end up with a corrupted file, you can easily go back to a working version without losing much effort.  Once you are familiar with some of the quirks of the file format, you can make more extensive changes between saves.  Once you understand the formatting, you can make some pretty extensive changes very easily.  I did this last week with the SuperStar file for my Pre-Halloween lights.  Once the lights were up, I did not like the color of orange on my GE Color Effects lights.  Changed the RGB from 100/50/0 to 100/40/0 and it looked much better.

As Bob said, you may be able to change most of what you're trying to do with the Change Controller button in the Channel Config.