Light-O-Rama Forums

Naughty / Nice Testor Just finished

Brian Mitchell

I just finished building the newest prop for my display.  Here is a preview.   Uses 1 LOR box.   I'll get sound for it next year.

• Like 2

Neat prop you got there.  But does it ever say someone is Naughty or will it always end on Nice?  

I'd want it to actually go either way, if it always lands on Nice, that may get boring to repeat visitors that see and use it to check their "Naughty" or "Nice" status.  Even arcade machines that predict that type of stuff don't always land on the one you want. ;)

As long as I leave it in standalone mode, it will only have one sequence.

In the future I can run it from a computer, have multiple sequences and sounds but I will need a spare laptop or computer kicking around to do that.

Besides, I would not want to be the little kid who still believes in Santa and the magic who presses the button and has it come up naughty.

Used to have machines similar like that when I was very young {7-10 years old}, I got Nice and I got Naughty at times too, but back then we learned how to cope with disappointment or things that just didn't go the way you hoped, right along with dealing with the school bully{ies} on our own.   No Internet and no one to stand up for us either, had to stand up for yourself.    Seems we've lost the ability to comprehend disappointment, losing a game to a competitor, standing up for ourselves on our own, etc.

If I had a child and they used one of those machines, I'd tell them, just like my parents did with me, don't worry about it, we talked with Santa and you're still getting your gifts from him and us.

Don't folks have any common sense anymore or are we all going into a state where everyone has to make sure everything is always peaches and cream?   Then they wonder why folks are the way they are today, thinking that everyone owes them entitlements to everything.    How sad that really is.

Just saying.   I just know how I was raised, got bullied in school, lost at things I did and  was a good sport about it.   I never did anything that folks try to do today, like trying to or succeeding in committing suicide, and all because they don't know how to cope with real life situations like bullies or disappointment by losing a game on their own.

That's why if I made such a device, it's NOT going to be 100% Nice all the time, if someone can't deal with what should be considered a "novelty" that can go either way, they shouldn't even bother to press the button.   But that's just my opinion, but one I'd stand by to the end.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Orville said:

Used to have machines similar like that when I was very young {7-10 years old}, I got Nice and I got Naughty at times too, but back then we learned how to cope with disappointment or things that just didn't go the way you hoped, right along with dealing with the school bully{ies} on our own.   No Internet and no one to stand up for us either, had to stand up for yourself.    Seems we've lost the ability to comprehend disappointment, losing a game to a competitor, standing up for ourselves on our own, etc.

If I had a child and they used one of those machines, I'd tell them, just like my parents did with me, don't worry about it, we talked with Santa and you're still getting your gifts from him and us.

Don't folks have any common sense anymore or are we all going into a state where everyone has to make sure everything is always peaches and cream?   Then they wonder why folks are the way they are today, thinking that everyone owes them entitlements to everything.    How sad that really is.

Just saying.   I just know how I was raised, got bullied in school, lost at things I did and  was a good sport about it.   I never did anything that folks try to do today, like trying to or succeeding in committing suicide, and all because they don't know how to cope with real life situations like bullies or disappointment by losing a game on their own.

That's why if I made such a device, it's NOT going to be 100% Nice all the time, if someone can't deal with what should be considered a "novelty" that can go either way, they shouldn't even bother to press the button.   But that's just my opinion, but one I'd stand by to the end.

Wow you really got off topic, I feel like I may have a heart attack after reading that! :D

Your really showing your age when you feel the need to make a rant about "the good old days".

@Brian Mitchell Good job Brian on the naughty and nice prop!

Orville, 

My goal for my display is to amaze and make kids feel good.  Not to disappoint them.  Not here!  Not at MY display!    My display is not real life.  It is a Christmas fantasy.  Only good things should happen.

You can have real life at your display if you like.

If I had the tech to run multiple sequences and could remotely switch to a naughty result for an ADULT going to press the button, that would be fun.  At present with only $100 into the machine that won't happen.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Saw one of these on another forum, where the owner could remotely activate it to stop it on either naughty or nice. 

They used to ask the parents (without the child hearing) which way they wanted it to land for their child. Apparently quite a few parents are just a little bit evil :)

• Like 1

• The topic was locked