Light-O-Rama Forums

Another newbie question. Software interaction

Shamusseven

Not even sure I know how to ask my question but here I go.  I have pixel editor and super star add on on top of sequence editor.   I know I can sequence my ccb's using either of the three but little gray on the work flow.   So say I have a sequence someone had given me with some rgb channels I can see in SE.  Does that mean they were created in SE?   Can I see them in PE or SS as well?   Already tried to pull it in SS but it's a different file name so guess not.   Are PE and SS basically different sequence that you just have to add on to a SE sequence?   Can either be run independently of a base SE sequance?    Sorry for the beginner questions but trying to learn quickly and just trying to figure out how all the pieces fit together.  

37 minutes ago, Shamusseven said:

Not even sure I know how to ask my question but here I go.  I have pixel editor and super star add on on top of sequence editor.  I know I can sequence my ccb's using either of the three but little gray on the work flow.   So say I have a sequence someone had given me with some rgb channels I can see in SE.  Does that mean they were created in SE?   Can I see them in PE or SS as well?   Already tried to pull it in SS but it's a different file name so guess not.   Are PE and SS basically different sequence that you just have to add on to a SE sequence?   Can either be run independently of a base SE sequance?    Sorry for the beginner questions but trying to learn quickly and just trying to figure out how all the pieces fit together.  

The RGB channels in SE if they are visible were programmed in SE

You can't visibly see them at least in PE,I haven't used SS but you can import the visualizer into PE and see the programming from SE while programming other RGB elements.(If that makes sense)

PE and SS are separate from SE, once you finish the programming in one of these two software add ons you create an intensity date file that will attach to the SE .lms file as a hidden track.

Hope this helps,

SPaschall

First, Congratulations on purchasing SuperStar.  Now throw away all your other sequence editors.

The Big Picture.  To play a show, any show, you will need that sequence in Sequence Editor.  That is the file that the show pulls from.

However, Sequencing can be performed in any number of ways.  LOR Software has: Sequence Editor;  Pixel Editor;  SuperStar.  Third party SW includes programs such as Xlights.  All these have to be playable in the Sequence Editor to play in a show.

Sequence Editor, you create your channel files...set up your network...IE assign your controllers to the computers port.  If you want to see your work in real time on your PC then you will use Visualizer.  Visualizer you set up your elements, assign them to the proper controller and channel and then it mimics your yard.  Program or Sequence to music or use the animate feature to sequence each of the channels.  You can edit or add lights at will.  Move the timing etc.  Basically full control of each and every channel.  The channel can be an AC light string, DC light string, AC motor, DC motor, RGB light, Fog Machine, etc.  Each channel being controllable by the sequencer.  Each channel can be a LOR controller, DC or AC, LOR pixel controller, Cosmic Color Ribbon, Cosmic Color Bulb or Cosmic Color Pixel, Several third party controllers, DMX controllers including LOR, Sans Devices, Holiday Coro, Pixlight etc.  So many different items...I even have Single DC LED bulbs that I created into Eyes in the bushes for my Halloween Display.  Each channel can be controlled by you in the Sequence Editor.

Pixel Editor, you can import some channels (RGB) from your Sequence Editor.  Sequencing consists of trying to match up pre-created effects for the elements to the song.  Effects like snow falling, Fire, lightning bugs...etc.  Once programmed in Pixel Editor you will Export the sequence to Sequence Editor.  The file is then opened in Sequence Editor....the work done in Pixel Editor will be seen as a one line channel that will include all the elements you imported or created in Pixel Editor.  Once this "Intensity" file is exported it is no longer editable in the Sequence Editor.  Any elements programmed in the PE is no longer able to be edited in Sequence Editor.  And since you are not able to program non RGB items in Pixel Editor you basically have to do the work on the same song twice to program your AC channels or any other channel that was not programmed in Pixel Editor.

SuperStar, you import your yard display via your visualizer file.  The channels you have set up in Visualizer are the ones that are now programmable in SuperStar.  Any and every channel programmed in visualizer is also available to be programmed here.  DC, AC, Pixel, Light String...motor....everything.  Advertisement for SuperStar continues to focus on RGB but this is a complete sequencer.  Just like Sequence Editor I can control the lights of each and every element.  I create the effects using morphs, images, fades, on/off, twinkle, shimmer etc.  But I can more easily program...in SuperStar if i get my timing off just a touch I am able to use nudges to correct.  I find an effect I like and I am able to duplicate it by just selecting which channels to use.  So many things make SuperStar better than Sequence Editor it would take me too long to list.  The one thing that is a negative is the time it takes to learn.  But if you have never sequenced before then this is not a negative for you.  Otherwise it takes a couple songs to get the hang.  And then it is so intuitive that you wont even think about Sequence Editor programming again.  Once you have your song complete in SuperStar then you again have to export it to Sequence Editor to play in the show.  SuperStar allows you to choose how to export.  It can be an intensity file or the full channels export.  If you go intensity file then once again you will not be able to edit outside SuperStar.  But Classic Export allows the export to look just like any other sequenced song in the Sequence Editor.  All the RGB channels present and editable as well as every other channel.  The channels are created for you based on the unit ID for LOR items...which are first...then by Universe and Channel number after that.  Sometimes an RGB channel is exported as single channels.  But you are able to change these into RGB channels easily in Sequence editor if you want.  The sequence will play just fine as exported but the sequence may be visually unappealing.  This can all be easily corrected with the use of grouping and import/export functions in the Sequence Editor.  

So, if you purchase a sequence.  There is no way to know if it was created in SuperStar or Sequence Editor. Pixel Editor will be intensity files only.  

Since switching to SuperStar 3 years ago I have not sequenced in Sequence Editor.  No Need.  And intensity files are there for homes that have lots of pixels and/or experience lag.  I dont have that issue and will always export it as traditional channels to allow me to edit or share my effects outside superstar as needed.

I purchased the PRO license with hopes of using Pixel Editor for occasional effects on my elements in the yard but the limitations of Intensity export file and the loss of the elements once programmed in Pixel Editor makes that program worthless for me.  I hope that one day it will allow me to add effects in parts of the song while still allowing me to use SuperStar to program the majority of it.

One last note.  The SuperStar license is based on the CCR.  The CCR is basically 150 channels.  So when you see 4 CCR license it is really 600 channels.  In SuperStar, you can sequence whatever you have in your visualizer file.  But when you go to export the sequence it checks this License.  If you exceed the channels then it wont export.  It is possible to split a visualizer file up to allow lower level licenses to work.  I tried this early on but in the end it was worth the extra money to increase the channel outputs then to keep doing the song more than one time.  Just for Reference, a DC motor or AC light string is just one channel.  An RGB item is 3.  And a string of 100 pixels controlled by a Sans Device E6804 via DMX is 300 channels.

Good-luck,

Sax

• Like 1

Thank you for the good break down Sax.   I am playing around with SS and like it but have run into a few issues.   First off,  when I imported my visualization, I see it recognized the extra plain old lights I have on my LOR controller and I see the CCB strings.    I am even having fun playing around with the   instant sequences.  the problem is I do not see that it is touching the LOR 16ch controller channels.  I see the RGB's doing their thing but it is not sequencing the standard channels.   I see them in the graphical depiction when I imported it, as well as I see the channel set up includes them but nothing indicating they are being triggered on and off.  either via the visualization play back nor via the real connected controller and lights.   

Second issue is a problem that I am not sure how to overcome.  for 6 of the songs I am working on, I have been able to use a WMV file.  It is a file with video of singing Pumpkins and the sound track.  I have been able to set up SE using these files to play Video, Audio and the sequence.   But in SS the system gives me an error as the file is not in a sampling rate of 44100 (audio only).   I have not been able to save the file in the format SS wants due to the video.   I have looked into separating the 2  Video and audio on separate files but have not figured out how to run both in a sequence.   Any ideas?    

Third is just a general question of how to figure all this out.   I look for videos and help on forms like this but lord, this system is so wide ranging and powerful that there almost could be a collage semester course on the software.  Is there a Guide book?   LOR for dummies?  LOL.  how is the best way to learn all of this   

Go here for video tutorials:

http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/

scroll down for superstar.

Your question: "the problem is I do not see that it is touching the LOR 16ch controller channels."- is this only with instant sequence or all sequences?  Instant sequence selects the lights by line number.  Only 10 lines can be used...you choose when what and how the instant sequence works.  Also, are you talking about the visualizer program or the superstar visualization import window inside superstar?  

The way I test is once I import the visualization file inside superstar I just select an element or light and make it do something.  I rarely use instant sequence.

i only use MP3 files.  So I don't know how the video would work.  Audacity is the program I use to get my MP3 files working.  Once I have all my songs working proper and the show set I use a program called MP3 gain to make all the mp3s the same volume level.  I am sure audacity could be used to convert your music file to the one needed.

in the meantime, look at the video tutorials in the link provided.  Also, don't be afraid to use the LOR help file.  It is very useful too.  Maybe it will answer these questions as well.

dont be afraid to keep asking in the forums either.  There is a superstar section that is monitored by the softwares author Brian Bruderer.  He has remoted into my pc to help me with my problems so I don't think you will ever find better support than that.

Sax

Thanks again Sax.  

The videos are good but not comprehensive.  For example a lot have to do with trees or matrix.  I have neither.   And when they go over most of the settings they just stat what to select.   I want to know why I am to select one setting and what it does.   And what are all the other options for.  That's my issue with the videos.   Would love a manual that goes over all settings.  

As as far as the visualization, it is just the visualization import within SS that I am speaking about.  And it is only instant sequencing as I am not ready to tackle a full song manually.   I have not exported yet because I have 609 channels do to the regular controller and only a license for 600.  I will change that soon. 

I have been told that instant sequencing can handle the entire set up and would love to learn how to get that to work.  Maybe Brian will take a look and be able to help. 

The help file is the manual. It has features listed and how to use them.  It also shows what each setting does.  Look in the help file.

i don't know when I had my ah ha moment but it did come while sequencing a song.  I started by creating a superstar only visualizer file that spaced things far enough apart that I could select them individually within superstar.  Not needed now as you can use floating windows and seperate your imported visual from the grid.  

To sequence, you can select individual lights or entire elements.  You can use the grid or the visualizer file.  

The grid can be setup horizontal or vertical. I have mine horizontal. When you import select the number of lines per row based on your lights.  If you have no rgb then this is even easier.  But with rgb, and since my largest strip is 50 pixels, I select 50 as my width...so one row will be my strip.

i don't want to confuse you....so many different ways to do things...but my advice would be to create a new visualization file....by simply opening your created one....delete some elements to make the programmable objects in superstar smaller, then save as your new file something like superstar viz training.  Important to use "save as" to keep your original file.   Then import the new file.  Import only the one file..and don't select the option of visualizer and actual or whatever it is called.  Only import as if that is the only file.  After you import, select an audio file.  After the audio file is selected, apply timings.  You should then see yellow ticks to the beat in the top row with the audio wave below it. Then play with the morphs, on/off etc to the timing.  Fades, twinkles all work.  Just play a little to see how it works.  

Even though the videos didn't show non-CCRs the principle now is the same.  Just on your non ccr elements.  

Please give the help file a look.  It will describe how each feature is supposed to be used.  

If there is a specific feature, setting or setup step you don't understand just ask.  And if I can't answer it someone here will chime in.

sax