Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR NEWBIE SHOW TIME CENTRAL

racerc20

HI all Carl Here from NYC and LOR NEWB...  Convinced the wife to let me drop some serious moolah on the LOR showtime central NEWBIE starter package.  We have a very small house here in queens so a 16 channel should be perfect to start.   House Power is no problem 2 dedicated 30A outlets powering the controller.  MY BIGGEST question is, since I have an SD card with 6 songs and preprogrammed sequences...and since this is my first foray into dancing and controlled lights, do I just set the units up on the dining room table plug a single light set into each channel see what  they do and then transfer each channel to a bush or fence panel or yard object or area of my yard.  It is September so I figured this will be a good time to begin.  My budget is pretty much shot this year so no LEDs in my future unless OT or a great sale...lol  all of my light will be regular mini lights. 

Looking for a veteran LOR'er to help me avoid some of the total noob mistakes.  I do not mind trying and learning and failing but if I can minimize them that would be great.

If there are any NYC Queens LOR peeps on here give me a call out. 

Carl

That's pretty much it I'd say Carl.  Seems you've got a good grasp on it.   Yes, just plug the controller in, set it up in the Hardware Utility to set unit ID, Comm Port, then exit that, plug in the lights you have in each channel on the controller, insert your SD card with the preprogrammed sequences and you should be able to see how it will all look.  Using the SD Card I think you will have to disconnect the USB485 dongle from the controller, but you will need it and a computer to set the  unit ID on the controller and comm port, once set, you don't usually have to worry about those aspects until you add another controller later down the road.

Once you see that, then you can decide what lights go where and what channel you want to control them from in your yard, bushes, roof line, etc.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the madness,er, some call it addiction, but I go by the large bold colored "Warning:" tag line in my signature below. LOL

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

Oh Carl - you're in trouble if you think you spent serious moolah this year. 

It goes crazy your second and third years. 

Welcome aboard, by the way. 

Well thanks for the warm fuzzy welcomes.  Guess I'll be setting up a demo next week n the living room.   Stay close to the forums guys im sure I'll be back here pestering you all.  Thanks.