Light-O-Rama Forums

Spot or flood

Jgm4a1

Depends on your nativity size and type. I use the Hobby Lobby figurine set. (Sprayed with clear coat sealant first year...) My nativity scene is about 5ft square. I hang 3 floods from the inside ceiling shining down onto the Holy Family. That way there is not much shadowing. I use the cheap Lowes seasonal LED floodlights. About $10 each when they put them out in the next few weeks. (Or $2 each after Christmas...)

nativity_zpsiplpu3dv.png

• Like 1

I made the Assumption you would be lighting it from a distance. If your lighting it from a distance (spot) if you're doing it up close (flood) . You have a nice looking set up Mega Arch

• Like 1

Mine will be plywood cutouts painted flat white in a stable area. Stable area is about 9 ft wide and 4 ft deep, 5 ft tall made from old pallets. No roof. Does have a gable designed front with a small white north star at top. I know a pic would be better but not completely set up yet. 

38 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Depends on your nativity size and type. I use the Hobby Lobby figurine set. (Sprayed with clear coat sealant first year...) My nativity scene is about 5ft square. I hang 3 floods from the inside ceiling shining down onto the Holy Family. That way there is not much shadowing. I use the cheap Lowes seasonal LED floodlights. About $10 each when they put them out in the next few weeks. (Or $2 each after Christmas...)

nativity_zpsiplpu3dv.png

That's great looking.

For plywood, as Ebuechner said, use spots. Have them elevated shining down or ground level shining upward. Do not have lights same height as viewers. Even flat will glare. 

9ft wide - still will want multiple spots to even it out somewhat. 

Pics after you are done are definitely required. 

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

For plywood, as Ebuechner said, use spots. Have them elevated shining down or ground level shining upward. Do not have lights same height as viewers. Even flat will glare. 

+1 agree with what Mega Arch mentioned on how to position the lights. You also need to keep from the light shining past the prop onto the house/fence and creating a shadow.

Glare and shadows is something to keep focus on for a nice looking display.

1 hour ago, Santas Helper said:

+1 agree with what Mega Arch mentioned on how to position the lights. You also need to keep from the light shining past the prop onto the house/fence and creating a shadow.

Glare and shadows is something to keep focus on for a nice looking display.

Tom - I'm outta likes again (4 per day just isn't fair - especially on holidays...)

So, +1 on Tom's house shadowing thoughts. Unless setting up early enough for Halloween. Then a 10ft shadow on the house of the Holy Ghost may even frighten adults... Just add additional lights for Christmas.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input. Looks like i will need to put a roof of some kind on it. I don't want any light shining on the rest of the christmas display. Since im using pallets for the walls, I probably need to put something on the backside of the walls to stop any light from shining  through. Since this is our first year with a musical controlled display and a first for a nativity also, I definitely want this year to be as good as possible. Thanks for all the info.