Light-O-Rama Forums

How to build Candy Cane Spinners

Mega Arch

There's a few posts going around on FaceBook about Candy Cane Spinner construction, so I thought I'd throw it out here to discuss a little..

Here's how I built mine:

1. Found a plastic electrical wire spool and cut one end off.
  2. Zip tied (12) Candy Canes to it.
  3. Pulled cords through center hole and marked Candy Cane number on plug ends with sharpie as I went.
  4. Painted fence post black and u-bolted the spinner to it.
  5. Drilled weep holes for rain, snow &/or ice in the Candy Canes.
  6. Plugged into controller.
  7. Sat down & enjoyed.

Worked out so easy to build and was such a big punch adder to my show, I'm using the other end to build another Candy Cane Spinner this weekend for my 2016 show.

Candy%20Cane%20-%20back_zpsvoegn6uy.jpg

Candy%20Cane%20-%20iced_zpsx7ofb92a.jpg

Now post your pics and methods...

- Daniel

19 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

There's a few posts going around on FaceBook about Candy Cane Spinner construction, so I thought I'd throw it out here to discuss a little..

Here's how I built mine:

1. Found a plastic electrical wire spool and cut one end off.
  2. Zip tied (12) Candy Canes to it.
  3. Pulled cords through center hole and marked Candy Cane number on plug ends with sharpie as I went.
  4. Painted fence post black and u-bolted the spinner to it.
  5. Drilled weep holes for rain, snow &/or ice in the Candy Canes.
  6. Plugged into controller.
  7. Sat down & enjoyed.

Worked out so easy to build and was such a big punch adder to my show, I'm using the other end to build another Candy Cane Spinner this weekend for my 2016 show.

Not to hijack this thread but what are the props in front of the arches that look like stage light floods?  I really think they look cool.

20 minutes ago, gmac said:

Not to hijack this thread but what are the props in front of the arches that look like stage light floods?  I really think they look cool.

Thanks for the kind words. I think they really look even better in person.

They are coffee cans from my static display from 27 years ago. 4 different patterns punched on 3 sides; crosses, stars, trees & snowmen. Bottoms cut out for cords/lights. Painted the inside white and the outside black. Used to be C-9 incandescents when static. Now made with pure white C-9 LEDs broken into 10-channels. 

Thanks for the reply, One last question what is the approx spacing between the cans?  I'd  like to do that project for this Christmas  but I'm afraid I might OD on caffeine to get enough cans to do my front yard LOL.  I think coffee only comes in plastic containers now, do you think the effect in those plastic containers would be the same as the taller coffee cans that you have? 

47 minutes ago, gmac said:

Thanks for the reply, One last question what is the approx spacing between the cans?  I'd  like to do that project for this Christmas  but I'm afraid I might OD on caffeine to get enough cans to do my front yard LOL.  I think coffee only comes in plastic containers now, do you think the effect in those plastic containers would be the same as the taller coffee cans that you have? 

They are a can apart. Pop a string line to keep straight. Then use a can to space to the next can. 

I say "coffee can" so people get the sizing. Truth is only a handful are coffee cans. Originally I made 70 of them to outline my yard on 3ft centers. (Made for an amazing static display) To get that many cans in a timely manner, go to your nearest hospital. The institutional size vegetable cans they use are the same size. Ask them to rinse and save them for you for a few days. 

58 minutes ago, gmac said:

Also, easy mounting. I have a hole at the bottom of the can on both sides. Pound in (2) 16-penny nails per can. Other than punks, they never moved.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2016 at 0:34 PM, gmac said:

get empty Paint cans from a paint store they work well too!

EDIT: oops I did not realize how late I was to this thread, Sorry!

Edited by canadianchristmas

4 hours ago, canadianchristmas said:

.....EDIT: oops I did not realize how late I was to this thread, Sorry!

I don't think one is ever late. Well, unless thread gets locked. Then everyone is late. 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, edtrac said:

Jumping on here too.  Was looking for a vendor that sells individual candy canes to make this.  2-4' range.

Thanks

Bought mine at Walmart. 

• 2 weeks later...

For the Canadian audience, Candy Canes are currently in the weekend flyer for Canadiantire and they are the probably cheapest they will be all season.

Cheers

Daryl B.

• 2 years later...

I know this is a an old thread, but I have a question that I thought would be more appropriate to just add to this thread rather than starting a new one.

Do you find that candy cane spinners seem to look best when the candy canes are all the same color?  I have candy canes in both colors (red & green) and have enough of each to make 2 spinners.  Should I make one red spinner and one green spinner?  Or 2 spinners, each with alternating red & green canes?

1 hour ago, Speedster said:

I know this is a an old thread, but I have a question that I thought would be more appropriate to just add to this thread rather than starting a new one.

Do you find that candy cane spinners seem to look best when the candy canes are all the same color?  I have candy canes in both colors (red & green) and have enough of each to make 2 spinners.  Should I make one red spinner and one green spinner?  Or 2 spinners, each with alternating red & green canes?

IMHO having Red and green on the same plane would be UGLY.  Now, having an inner ring of the other color might be interesting. You could even spin them the opposite of the other to really twist some brains 😈

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

IMHO having Red and green on the same plane would be UGLY.  Now, having an inner ring of the other color might be interesting. You could even spin them the opposite of the other to really twist some brains 😈

Thanks, I was actually leaning more towards having each spinner being one color because as I'm visualizing them in action in my mind, it seems that the spinning effect would work better if each spinner was just one color.  So that's probably what I'll do.

It'll have to wait until next year though since I'm still not done with this year's setup.  But this is what happens every year....as I'm setting up for the current year, my mind and imagination go into overdrive and I start thinking of what to add next year lol.

2 hours ago, Speedster said:

yep - keep all one color IMO - don't alternate....

• Like 1

• The topic was locked