Light-O-Rama Forums

Using GoFundMe to collect for Charity?

coachdove

I am wanting to have a donation box this year for my display, where the proceeds will go to a local charity.

Has anyone tried using a site like GoFundMe or similar site for visitors to make donations online?  I have a radio station and use demented elf for voiceovers and was thinking I could have a voiceover between songs that mentions the website for donations.  I figure it would be a safer and more secure way for people to donate without even getting out of their cars, and without anyone tampering with a money box.  I also use a projector in my display on the garage, so I could flash the website on the projector during commercial breaks, as well.

Any suggestions or comments?

Edited by coachdove

This did not work for my display.   I have a heavily visited website which allows guests to see what song is coming up and pick another.   I added a paypal link in two places there.   Kevin did a nice promo voice over which played every 20 minutes.    The entire month of December got only three online donations.   This was terrible and very disappointing to me.  However when I was approaching cars with a bucket we got many positives comments on what a wonderful charity and show and many donations.   We also had at least 10 people who said no one was outside to give the money to on an earlier visit.      This is funny.   Two people were walking around in my display looking for 'the button'  which there was no physical button.  The radio blurb said to press the Paypal button on the website!   I dont know what they thought would happen if they found the button.  I will keep the website button with much lowered expectations this year.  

On 8/30/2016 at 1:07 PM, ItsMeBobO said:

This did not work for my display.   I have a heavily visited website which allows guests to see what song is coming up and pick another.   I added a paypal link in two places there.   Kevin did a nice promo voice over which played every 20 minutes.    The entire month of December got only three online donations.

I suspect that people don't want to donate on their phone. If they haven't already then it would mean setting up PayPal, and most probably just want to pick a song and then watch the show.

Perhaps contactless payment like ApplePay or Google Wallet would work, or a permanent donation box with security.

• The topic was locked