Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Cord

lstewartff

Ok so I am new to all this LOR equipment. I have been doing lights at my house for years but this will be the first time to do it like this. Anyway I know that I will have to use extension cords to run to my lights. So my question is what size cords should I use? I don't remember the exact size of the cords that I have been using but I would assume that  they are either 12/3 or 14/3. Would 16/3 be to small for non LED lights? I am thinking about just buying the cord in a roll and cut to size and put the ends on myself. Thanks for any help.

Edited by lstewartff

Use a good heavy gauge cord to power your controllers, that's where your highest amp draw will be. As far as buying a roll of cord google SPT 1 and SPT 2 cord, a lot of members on this forum make their own cords from that stuff. Due to the fact that my display is 99% LED I wait until the green indoor/outdoor cords go on sale at my local Canadian Tire and use those instead, I usually can get these for $2.50 ea on sale. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/outdoor-cord-0522424p.html#srp  Still not as cost effective of making them yourself but easier for me!

I use the ends off old Christmas Light strands for female and male ends, I use lamp cord or the same size wire that light strand cord is if it's feeding a L.E.D. strand, don't need thick heavy cord around if I'm not pulling that much from the controller.   I also use basic household extension cords and cap off any open ends {if the cord doesn't come with its own} using Child Proof Safety Outlet caps in the open female receptacles, also use these caps on any of the make pass through on all my L.E.D. and incandescent light strands as well.

Depending on what I'm attaching to the controller, I may use the thicker gauge outdoor green, yellow or orange extension cords.

Been using this method for going on year 6 now, and have never had any issues.

P.S. The other poster here is correct about the controllers power cords, ALWAYS use a heavy gauge cord for power to them, the green outdoor garden cords are good.  I use the ones with the triple taps since my controllers are powered by 2 cords, just my preference, some use only one.   And I use an outlet cover cut to fit on the 3rd outlet on the end of the extension cord.

Edited by Orville

To add just a bit more to the previous posts. 

I have 2 power grids, static that gets turned on 10 minutes before my show. Blow molds, DMX fixtures, and items not tied to controllers. These are blue colored 14/3. My controller power are 14/3 & 12/3 and colored red. This way I can keep track. The other thing here is that you see the cords to ensure your comms are manged properly and not run parallel. I have never used orange as you see it at night, even in the lawn. 

I now make all my channel connection cords. These are black, green or brown. I standardized on SPT2, only so that if I did buy any lamp cords, I could tap off them with the vampires plugs as the store bought cords are SPT2. I wish back when I started I had started out making my channel cords, but I still have miles of store bough cords that I have to store each year. 

• Like 1

Another vote for using SPT and vampire plugs.  Although in my case, I have very little 120V AC lights, everything that is Christmas temporary installation is SPT-1.  There are a grand total of five channels of 120V AC lights in my year round landscape lighting, and I add six more for Christmas.  The year round stuff is all 14 gauge THHN in conduit, and the six Christmas channels that each powers a 200 bulb string of LEDs are SPT-1 with vampire plugs.  I also have a single SPT-1 that powers three CCP controllers for my arches, and that's SPT-1 with vampire plugs.  The ability to have custom length cables makes so much sense to me.

What is the difference in SP1 and SP2 cord? I'm thankful for the info, I was going to buy SJ cord and its over $200 fro 250' for a 12/3. I guess with Christmas lights I only need a two strand instead of three right?

6 minutes ago, lstewartff said:

What is the difference in SP1 and SP2 cord? I'm thankful for the info, I was going to buy SJ cord and its over $200 fro 250' for a 12/3. I guess with Christmas lights I only need a two strand instead of three right?

12/3 is only required to manage you power grid. It is way over kill for channel connections. 

The difference between SPT1 & SPT2 is the thickness of the insulation. They are both rated for 7 amps. Here is a good description:

https://www.christmasdesigners.com/understanding-the-difference-between-spt-1-and-spt-2-cord/

1 hour ago, zman said:

12/3 is only required to manage you power grid. It is way over kill for channel connections. 

The difference between SPT1 & SPT2 is the thickness of the insulation. They are both rated for 7 amps. Here is a good description:

https://www.christmasdesigners.com/understanding-the-difference-between-spt-1-and-spt-2-cord/

Zman, you know I love you, but that website is a little misleading.

Since current capacity is somewhat mathematically formulated from circular mils of the available conductor pathway of the electron flow (material construction & size of wire) divided by the resistance, including the jacketing construction material and thickness (which resistance causes heat & is what causes the catastrophic failures), it is safe to say size does matter. Therefore 16 awg & 18 awg wires have different amp capacities as well as thicker insulation that dissipates heat differently. 

English - cant all four be rated same. 

Also, if only running LED light strands, I even use SPT1 for the power lead.

Here's a SPT spec sheet from a major manufacturer of wire & cable:

http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheetOEM72

So in closing, 16awg carries more current than 18awg. Insulation thickness for our hobby is user preference, but should not be a factor in amp capabilities. 

Edited by Mega Arch

Mega,

You are correct, but my thoughts is that for a newbie, keep it simple. Let em get their feet wet, then get as much detail as they need. 

5 hours ago, zman said:

Mega,

You are correct, but my thoughts is that for a newbie, keep it simple. Let em get their feet wet, then get as much detail as they need. 

Good point. There is a great amount of LOR stuff to learn. 

If you go the SPT route, remember that there is a difference in the vampire plugs as well. Make sure they match your cord - spt-1 cord and spt-1 plugs.

Thanks for all the responses. I have a whole new outlook on powering my lights now. Instead of having all these extension cords everywhere I am going to buy STP wire.