Light-O-Rama Forums

Error on Saving

EmmienLightFan

I sometimes get this error when using the save button in the SE.

Not everytime, but every three or four saves. 

It prompts me to save under a different name and that works fine, for a while, then the same again.

Happens on two PCs, both Windows 10 but Windows 10 has not yet caused any errors (I know I'm lucky). One is running 4.0.38 the other 4.1.2. Thanks.

LORError.PNG

i got that error several times last year.  had to uninstall and re-install LOR software several times and some times that would work.  when that wouldn't work, had to copy and past the timings and sequencing to a new file.  

I usually get that error when tne MP3 file is not in the correct format of CBR and 128KBPS {although I use 192KBPS}.  But that's the only time I ever saw that particular error.  Although I'm not using Windows 10, but did get it in both Win XP and Win 7 home premium.

25 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

Orville,

What's the advantage of 192KBPS? Curious.

Better sound quality.  If I rip a CD to MP3s for my music server, I generally do it at 192K or 256K.

38 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

Orville,

What's the advantage of 192KBPS? Curious.

11 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Better sound quality.  If I rip a CD to MP3s for my music server, I generally do it at 192K or 256K.

The real advantage of or 198 KBPS 192 KBPS in LOR is the constant bitrate. Some programs don't play nicely with variable bit rate audio. What kind of speakers are you using to be able to hear the difference outside your house? Perhaps with headphones and a decent sound card it would be noticeable, I have done tests in the past though.

I should have thought of that. Thanks. It will probably be VBR because it was ripped straight off YouTube with YouTube-MP3.org.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

1 minute ago, EmmienLightFan said:

The real advantage of 192 KBPS in LOR is the constant bitrate. Some programs don't play nicely with variable bit rate audio.

The bit rate is not related to VBR vs CBR.  But yes, LOR requires CBR (Constant Bit Rate).  Keeping it in sync would be almost impossible with VBR.

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

The bit rate is not related to VBR vs CBR.

I thought that VBR meant the bitrate can vary to the lowest possible. CBR means it is constant.

1 minute ago, EmmienLightFan said:

I thought that VBR meant the bitrate can vary to the lowest possible. CBR means it is constant.

Yes.  VBR (Variable Bit Rate) will vary the bit rate from a fairly slow data rate to a much higher data rate.  However it still can have different maximum data rates.  VBR sometimes (not always) is specified as an average bit rate and sometime as a maximum bit rate.  When you crate a VBR MP3 file, you can specify the quality (terminology varies depending on the program).  The higher the quality, the higher the bit rate.

And Constant Bit Rate (CBR) as the name implies, is a constant bit rate regardless of the sound being encoded at that moment.  For our purposes, a file MUST be CBR.

It requires CBR, but not a specific data rate. I dont use a director, but I do recall hearing something about coming 128 being encouraged when using a director. When using a PC, I doubt it really matters since the LOR software does not really have any direct involvement in rendering the music. I know last year one of the songs I used was downloaded from Amazon, and I found it was 256Kb/s CBR, whereas the the songs I used from my own music library were a combination of 128, 160, and 192K rate.

And to be picky (and this is only my understanding) that the only reason that it must be CBR is that if you start playback in the middle of a song when using VBR, there is no way to be in the same point in the timeline. When we are editing, starting in the middle of the song is something we do somewhat regularly (OK, hundreds or thousands of times)!

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Thanks for the info. I do use a director, thus, believe I will stick with 128KBPS CBR format as I have had no past issues. I was just curious on the benefits/possibilities of changing to 192KBPS.

22 hours ago, Vince4xmas said:

Thanks for the info. I do use a director, thus, believe I will stick with 128KBPS CBR format as I have had no past issues. I was just curious on the benefits/possibilities of changing to 192KBPS.

Vince, I ran a director unit for 3+ years, I started with 128kbps, but that rate always sounded crackly and staticy too me, so much that I tried using the 192kbps CBR rate, and for 3+ years my DC-MP3 Director {older version} worked just fine with that.  I now use a computer to run my shows because it gives me a lot more options and flexability.  Plus a component apparently became desoldered and fell off in the Florida heat, as when I took my director apart to look at it, I see where a part was soldered and it's not there!   No idea where it went either!

Now I can't say for certain, but I thought I had read in the LOR documentation on the newest G3-MP3 Directors, that they were capable of using 320kbps CBR rate.    Don't have a G3 to test that on, so can't say if it would work or not.     But I just prefer the 192kbps because it sounds much nicer than any of the 128kbps MP3 files I have.

If you use a program like an MP3 Tagger, it can show you exactly what your MP3 file format is, VBR or CBR, the bit rate, just about everything you need or want to know about any MP3 file you'd be in question about.  You can download MP3 Tag here: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

And this is the one I use all the time to tag my MP3 files with comments, genre, artist, etc.

To see what your MP3 files contain, when you run MP3Tag, right click on the header just above where it shows the filenames, you'll get a drop down box of all the options you can select, click the box next to VBR and make sure it's checked, then you'll see VBR in the header and below it you'll either see CBR or VBR.    If any are VBR, they need to be converted to CBR using an music editor like Audacity or any music editor that allows you to change and save the MP3 in any format you need.   But MP3tag is a fantastic program to help you make sure your MP3's are in the format you need for use in the LOR SE.

Edited by Orville

Orville, thanks much for the info. I do have a G3-MP3 with the latest firmware loaded. I will try some 192 and 320 kbps MP3 files and see what happens. I have used Audicity in the past to assure all my MP3 files are 128kbps and CBR. Looks like I will also try the MP3 Tagger.

Thanks again for your help!

5 hours ago, Orville said:

Plus a component apparently became desoldered and fell off in the Florida heat, as when I took my director apart to look at it, I see where a part was soldered and it's not there!   No idea where it went either!

Only you, Orv. 

Which happens first I wonder - eggs cook on a sidewalk or solder joints de-solder themselves?

Man, that's some brutal weather.  I've been in Death Valley when it was a balmy 117 degrees and never saw any solder joints melt.  Must be your humidity or maybe the salt air ...

15 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Only you, Orv. 

Which happens first I wonder - eggs cook on a sidewalk or solder joints de-solder themselves?

Man, that's some brutal weather.  I've been in Death Valley when it was a balmy 117 degrees and never saw any solder joints melt.  Must be your humidity or maybe the salt air ...

No salt air in my area, I'm 70 miles from the Eastern coastline and over 120 miles from the Western coastline,    After 3+ years of the director being outside, it quit working, took it out of it's enclosure that it shared with the FM transmitter, the director rattled when I unmounted it, so something was loose in there, but the part when I rattled it apparently fell out outside somewhere and you'll never find those extremely small SMD components if they do fall out.

So took the unit apart, there was a space that had been soldered, but apparently not as well as the others, it was thinly coated, so if the solder joints are too thin on an SMD component, anywhere from 95-100 degrees can cause it to melt and allow the component to detach.  And yes, we do have extermely high humidity in Florda in the summer months, which can raise that heat index to over 115-120 degrees.  Just ask anyone from up North that's visited Florida about how bad the humidy can get here, it's brutal.   You can sweat profusely just standing in the shade!

And having worked with SMD components and in electronics, including technician and prototype engineering labs, I know just what heat can do to a solder joint if it wasn't fully soldered, and this particular component was not, otherwise it'd still be attached to the board.

I never took the director apart until it stopped working and had a rattle to it, never had it the first 3 years of use, so it held up for quite some time, but the Florida sun and heat did take a toll on this one component.   So the director is now sitting apart and idle in a junk box.    The component also has to do with the reading of the SD Card, as that is the only issue that I know of with the unit.  The HWU finds it fine, it just won't read the SD Card, don't recall if I could write to it or not, been a while since I fooled with it, but I think there is a slim possibility that it could write to the card, but couldn't read what it wrote.

So yes, that's what happened to it and from my experience in the field of electronics for over 40+ years, I've seen failures that just seem unplausible or what some would think improbable or even impossible.  It happens more than most folks ever know about.

And yes, it does get hot enough here we have literally fried eggs on the sidewalk.  Wouldn't eat them, but it's been done!

Edited by Orville
correct some of my dyslexia errors and spelling of some words I missed on the proofread...it happens.

19 hours ago, Vince4xmas said:

Orville, thanks much for the info. I do have a G3-MP3 with the latest firmware loaded. I will try some 192 and 320 kbps MP3 files and see what happens. I have used Audicity in the past to assure all my MP3 files are 128kbps and CBR. Looks like I will also try the MP3 Tagger.

Thanks again for your help!

No problem Vince.  Glad to help when or if I can.

• 2 months later...

Just to put in my 2 cents on the original question...

I was getting the same exact error when I moved my sequences and audio to a different folder on the drive.  After reviewing what the security permissions were on the two folders, I needed to change the security permissions on the new folder to open them up to Full Access for logged on users (it came up that there were read/execute permissions only, being the folders were copied from the 'Program files\Light-O-Rama" folder originally).

Not quite sure why they would have trapped a "security permissions" error in a "invalid procedure call" error trap.