Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Help

JDS

This is only my second year and i would like to add RGB leaping arches to my display.  I purchased a Pixcon 16 and have the LOR Editor v3.11.2.  I have no idea where to begin with hooking up the strips and sequencing the arches.  Is there an easy to follow tutorial out there that would help?  Can I even make this work with what I have?

Thanks

You will also need to check your license. If you are going to run the pixcon in E1.31 mode then you will need at least an advanced license or a pro license for ELOR.

Seeing that you have an advanced license then you have to use the pixcon in E1.31 mode as ELOR requires S4 Pro. Make sure the jumpers are set correctly and program it as you would any other E1.31 device. 

Programming a pixcon in SE can be very challenging due to the huge amount of channels. Most will sequence in Superstar which is an additional add-on or Pixel Editor in which you would have to upgrade to S4 Pro.

1 hour ago, JDS said:

This is only my second year and i would like to add RGB leaping arches to my display.  I purchased a Pixcon 16 and have the LOR Editor v3.11.2.  I have no idea where to begin with hooking up the strips and sequencing the arches.  Is there an easy to follow tutorial out there that would help?  Can I even make this work with what I have?

Thanks

First of all, let's make sure we're speaking the same language.  You mentioned strips.  What kind of strips?  Are we talking dumb or smart strips?  Arches can be done with either.  PixCon16 suggests smart pixels, but I don't like assuming.

Forget about connecting lights for a couple minutes.  Your first sequencing step should be learning what RGB channels are.  Regardless of whether dumb or smart RGB you need to know this.  There are lots of LOR video tutorials.  There's Google and YouTube.   Keep watching until it makes sense. 

Sequencing dumb RGB channels with the Sequence Editor is pretty easy, and requires no other software.  Sequencing smart pixels is a bit more difficult, but if we're only talking about arches, and if you can already use the SE, it's certainly doable without needing to learn a different sequencing software. 

As George mentioned above you need to know what kind of RGB's you have (smart, dumb), voltage (12, 5), power injection required, etc.  Last year was my 1st year with smart RGB's.  I purchased a Pixcon 16. I run them in E1.31 mode and programmed them using Xlights.  Xlights is freeware.  There was a small learning curve in programming in xlights, but it has good tutorials online.  It also has the capability to convert sequences into LOR format.  I used it'smebobos vegomatic program to create additional channels in my current LOR sequences and pasted in the Xlight sequences.  Good Luck.

smart or dumb strips?   Look at the wires from the strips.  If you have 3 wires in the connector (not including an extra red wire hanging loose) you have smart strips.  If you have 4 wires AND they are red, green. blue and black you likely have dumb strips (every pixel in the strip will light at the same time and same color), 4 wire could also be smart strips if on of the wires is marked clk on the strip connector (less likely).  If you have smart strips you will need to know what chip set they are (WS 2811 etc) as well as what voltage (5v or 12V). should be marked on the strip connector.  

PLUS the answers above.

If you are still lost leave me a PM with evening time along with a phone number and i will call and see if i can help.  I am also EDT.

Edited by jerrymac
additonal info