Light-O-Rama Forums

Number of Channels?

Light Her Up!

When you say 16 channel controllers are you talking CTB16 the AC type?

If so 632.

If your talking Pixcon16 then a lot more.

31 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

When you say 16 channel controllers are you talking CTB16 the AC type?

If so 632.

If your talking Pixcon16 then a lot more.

?

I wouldn't describe the Pixcon16 as 16 channels, but 16 outputs.

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

When you say 16 channel controllers are you talking CTB16 the AC type

Yes, I have 2 CTB16PC  .

35 minutes ago, Light Her Up! said:

Yes, I have 2 CTB16PC  .

16 +16 = 32

Each CCP has two strands of 50 so 50 x 3 = 150 channels per strand, 4 strands x 150 = 600

632 total

50 x 3 = 150 channels per strand, 4 strands x 150 = 600,

In my opinion that is a disingenuous way of counting channels, it's not like you are programming every  channel for each pixel by itself. At best we are controlling each pixel using software, and most likely whole stings at once, so 50 channels (if you want to stretch it).  

I have a couple CCRs and I don't count them as channels like that.  Smart pixels have made channel count rather obsolete. 

I can understand where you would think that but as you stated you are controlling each pixel with software and the software has to be programed as it has limits so yes you have to count. You can't program four strings of 50 into one universe because the universe has a limit of 512, so yes you must count channels.

As far as not programing every channel, well actually you are. You may not use every channel but you will program them all into the software.

10 minutes ago, prevue12 said:

I have a couple CCRs and I don't count them as channels like that.  Smart pixels have made channel count rather obsolete. 

Yes. That is true.

I always think, that a 48 channel show made up entirely of pixels would be rubbish, but a 48 channel show made up of strings of lights, would be impressive.

48 channels of pixels is 16 tiny lights, but 48 channels of mains voltage control (Assuming 1 string per channel) could be thousands of lights, and would probably be better to watch.

I sometimes program pixels individually, for really precise effects, but sometimes I use the Pixel Editor or XLights, so still individual control, but not programming individual channels.

I still count pixel channels individually though, because everyone else does.

Mr P   answered  Light Her Up ,the question they asked how many channels  do I have ? they did' t ask how many pixels or lights .

• Like 1

On 5/10/2016 at 5:29 PM, Mr. P said:

I can understand where you would think that but as you stated you are controlling each pixel with software and the software has to be programed as it has limits so yes you have to count. You can't program four strings of 50 into one universe because the universe has a limit of 512, so yes you must count channels.

As far as not programing every channel, well actually you are. You may not use every channel but you will program them all into the software.

I still stand by my statement, Smart pixels have made channel count rather obsolete. I

When you want to make the entire CCR orange, you are not going into each R G B "channel" to set just the right amount to get orange. I bet you click a few buttons and get an orange CCR.  If you went in and set each channel I would agree you count each one as a channel, but I would also call you a fool for doing it that way. :)  When it comes to chases it is a couple more buttons on the software, but still not one R, G, or B channel at a time for each pixel, and that takes me back to Smart pixels have made channel count rather obsolete!

I get that some feel it should count as part of channel count, I just don't. In the end we will all just have to agree to disagree. 

Your right about when you sequence pixels however when you setup any smart controller you need to know how many channels your going to use