Light-O-Rama Forums

MIDI Conversions

Bob Musil

I am considering converting .mp3 files to MIDI for sequencing, and back to .mp3 for my show. This way I can try to sequence different channels based on the horns, percussion, etc. I am concerned about the timing of the song changing between the various conversions, and whether or not the MIDI program will still segregate the individual instruments.

Has anyone ever tried this? Did it work out okay, or are there any pitfalls I should watch out for? Are there any good conversion programs anyone can recommend?

Thanks for any replies/advice anyone can give. I am still a newbie, and need all the help I can get!!!

I tried converting mp3 to midi files a while ago without any success. I thing the songs were probably too intricate for midi. I think midi is limited in the number of instruments the computer can mimic.

Most of the MIDI files I have found are synthysized music and not very complex.

http://w3.uwyo.edu/~dwwilson/music.htm

http://www.hoofjaw.com

also has a collection of MIDI files that you can purchase, but the selection is not that great.

For instance, if you were to do Silent Night, there is a version by John Denver that songs nothing like an MP3 file that he has available on other stores. It pales in comparison to elevator music (almost a bossa nova style).

http://themes.mididb.com/christmas/

more midi's

They would all make poor karaoke tracks.

Bob Musil wrote:

I am considering converting .mp3 files to MIDI for sequencing, and back to .mp3 for my show. This way I can try to sequence different channels based on the horns, percussion, etc. I am concerned about the timing of the song changing between the various conversions, and whether or not the MIDI program will still segregate the individual instruments.

Has anyone ever tried this? Did it work out okay, or are there any pitfalls I should watch out for? Are there any good conversion programs anyone can recommend?

Thanks for any replies/advice anyone can give. I am still a newbie, and need all the help I can get!!!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but midi has the notes and instruments written directly into the file. The file itself has no music, it's just the instructions your computer needs to know which intruments to play when. (Did I get it right?) So, it's not a sound file at all. It just contains programming instructions for your PC. The PC synthesizes the music according to the programmic directions.

MP3 files are a recording of the actual sound...the file itself contains no data about the instruments, notes, or programming because it's a recording. I don't believe you can convert MP3 to midi. There are programs out there that claim to do it, but they are worse than poor at best. :X

Thanks for the info, everybody. I really appreciate the good information.

Oh, well, it seemed like a good idea. Back to the drawing board...